Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Unplugged

Pecos Bill II
and a free churro with every sandwich ordered

I thought all churros were paid for by "That guy!"?

geez...pretty rude. I guess 14,000 posts don't lighten up a guy's mood.

After enough threads read to justify that many posts, I think it's the sheer volume that has tarnished his joke intake. I know my perspective on the forums from just the past 2 years has me worn thin on a few things. But personally, I find it hard to pass up a good churro reference.

TomHendricks

Sorry didn't get pic of this but was riding the People Mover today and they were pushing sand or dirt into the empty part of the moat by Tonys. I believe it's in front of Tonys, what ever part that you can see from the People Mover is where it's happening.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Sorry didn't get pic of this but was riding the People Mover today and they were pushing sand or dirt into the empty part of the moat by Tonys. I believe it's in front of Tonys, what ever part that you can see from the People Mover is where it's happening.
sounds like
they are not be removing the concrete from the moat and just push dirt over the top to use for the walkway

dstrawn9889

sounds like
they are not be removing the concrete from the moat and just push dirt over the top to use for the walkway
not a contractor either, eh? you cannot build a structure on a poor foundation like that. i would say it is a more permanent solution to the leaking pontoon dams, or a path to move equipment from backstage to the construction zone. that and if you would bother to look at the plans earlier in the thread, you would see that the river moves into a channel(viaduct, storm-water tunnels) to carry it under the new sections and underneath the existing bridge. there has to be water motion in this 'river' to keep it from turning into a fetid mass of algae(much like river country), and a ready medium for mosquito growth.

Ignohippo

Every time I think about this project I get sadder and sadder. It's very welcomed to have the new pathways, but I can't help but think that there must be better ways that don't include the destruction of the moat.

Entering the hub from Main Street and having the water on either side is part of what sells the illusion that you're now interring someplace different and magical. It just won't be the same.

Jose

14023170419_b2aab311b8_z.jpg

Can you see the back of this photo? Are they going to put some trees there? I don't want to see those ugly white buildings...

dstrawn9889

to mis-appropriate an old doctors answer, if you don't like seeing that, don't take pictures that way from the train station..., but earlier in the thread someone was pointing out where post footings may be poured, perhaps for scrims?

Crazydisneyfanluke

not a contractor either, eh? you cannot build a structure on a poor foundation like that. i would say it is a more permanent solution to the leaking pontoon dams, or a path to move equipment from backstage to the construction zone. that and if you would bother to look at the plans earlier in the thread, you would see that the river moves into a channel(viaduct, storm-water tunnels) to carry it under the new sections and underneath the existing bridge. there has to be water motion in this 'river' to keep it from turning into a fetid mass of algae(much like river country), and a ready medium for mosquito growth.
Correct, im not. I forgot about the water flowing underneath and that it will be a reinforced pathway.

Goofnut1980

When I was there last week, there was NO ONE working on the site the entire week. Just a pump keeping water out of the area to be filled in. I see why it is going to take a year to fill in and add some new concrete! lol

hpyhnt 1000

Why another tree? How is that random tree in the way of anything so that it needs to be removed?

I suspect the new backstage bypass is to blame. As the entrance/exit will be next to and behind Tony's Restaurant, the tree and planter are probably being removed to keep the walkway open and make it easier for people to navigate through Town Square.

Rob562

Actually, if I recall the plans correctly (I'm on a slow wifi connection at the moment, so can't go look for them right now to confirm) where the waterway meets the new walkways/parks there *will* be a culvert opening, but just inside it'll be blocked off. The water won't flow underneath the new areas being built, it'll only appear to.

Edit: I found the copy on my hard drive that I saved. It's the side-elevation of what's being added (file name is 2466wsw) and it's specifically labeled "Large retaining wall and faux bridge with culvert"

-Rob

Last edited:

RAXIP

Edit: I found the copy on my hard drive that I saved. It's the side-elevation of what's being added (file name is 2466wsw) and it's specifically labeled "Large retaining wall and faux bridge with culvert"

-Rob

It's on Page 8 of this thread for anyone else who wants to see it.

dstrawn9889

Actually, if I recall the plans correctly (I'm on a slow wifi connection at the moment, so can't go look for them right now to confirm) where the waterway meets the new walkways/parks there *will* be a culvert opening, but just inside it'll be blocked off. The water won't flow underneath the new areas being built, it'll only appear to.

-Rob
oh, my bad then, they still are gonna have to add some kind of aeration or water jets to keep the water moving... and they would still have to break up the old concrete to pour fresh footings to be building code compliant.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
oh, my bad then, they still are gonna have to add some kind of aeration or water jets to keep the water moving... and they would still have to break up the old concrete to pour fresh footings to be building code compliant.

I interpret "Large retaining wall and faux bridge with culvert" to mean that there will be a real culvert going under that area so water can circulate and it is just the bridge that is fake.

jdmdisney99

I interpret "Large retaining wall and faux bridge with culvert" to mean that there will be a real culvert going under that area so water can circulate and it is just the bridge that is fake.
Yeah, I was thinking that couldn't be good for the water if they cut off circulation like that.

Rob562

Yeah, I was thinking that couldn't be good for the water if they cut off circulation like that.

It's not like it was a flowing, circulating body of water. It didn't have currents or anything. The waterfalls near Cosmic Rays keep that part of the waterway churning, and I'm sure there are aerators/bubblers elsewhere to keep things from getting too stagnant. Damming off a portion of it won't change anything.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom