Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

rioriz

Sorry, but I honestly don't think they should be doing that. Society as a whole is becoming less and less sophisticated with each new gadget, and Disney should try to right that path by keeping the parks knowledgeable, sophisticated and realistic* (no "dumbing things down" as some might say). I realize we're talking about fireworks here, but this really applies to all of WDW right now: they need to stop going down with society and start putting it back on the right track. Either way people will come, so why take the easy way out and build uninspiring experiences, while other deeply moving attractions are torn down or rot?

*Not necessarily inspired by real-life but setting a scene (Ex. Trees in the park on the main street of a town).

I respect your opinion BUT I work with kids and society is becoming more and more sophisticated with each new gadget. They are catering to the future and while we may not like it, it is the way it is. If it means anything I agree with you I prefer the old way.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Stop what? You think that this will be under construction during the Christmas Parade taping?
I do....the camera's are set up in Town Square and tall decorative flags are used to block views of the hub and the crossing crowds now, so any hub construction will not be seen by the TV audience. The area in front of the castle is not being touched (with the exception of the turrets) and camera angles can be adjusted to hide those, so yes, it could still be under construction during taping. Aren't there permits listing construction ending in '15?

Rose&Crowner

I do....the camera's are set up in Town Square and tall decorative flags are used to block views of the hub and the crossing crowds now, so any hub construction will not be seen by the TV audience. The area in front of the castle is not being touched (with the exception of the turrets) and camera angles can be adjusted to hide those, so yes, it could still be under construction during taping. Aren't there permits listing construction ending in '15?

They film musical acts in front of the Cinderella Castle with a crowded hub. I've had the unpleasant experience of being in attendance that day, twice. It will be done by then this year. Regarding permits, I have no idea...

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
They film musical acts in front of the Cinderella Castle with a crowded hub. I've had the unpleasant experience of being in attendance that day, twice. It will be done by then this year. Regarding permits, I have no idea...
Been to many a taping at the castle....my point was that camera angles for the musical acts can be adjusted so that any construction to the light/sound tower turrets and new ring could be kept out of view. Not saying that it won't be done by then, but it doesn't have to be.

Rose&Crowner

8761110D-F88D-4682-AC9F-607F6B21F522-1238-000001C45E29E914_zps59a7db69.jpg

Worst day to be there. Imagine if it were under construction?! Not gonna happen.

mm121

typically tight angles are shown on tv so this can easily hide any/all construction work, though they would most likely take a break during the mega busy holiday season anyways.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
8761110D-F88D-4682-AC9F-607F6B21F522-1238-000001C45E29E914_zps59a7db69.jpg

Worst day to be there. Imagine if it were under construction?! Not gonna happen.
Note that in this picture, the current pavilions that house the follow spots and light towers, are out of view. It's all in the angles and lenses used. This rather large looking group is actually in a pretty tight space. Same reason why the Price is Right studio appears so large, when in person, it feels like it could fit in my garage. All I'm saying is they can make it work if they have to.

Scuttle

To paraphrase the Jungle Cruise...."Ladies and Gentlemen, the back side of Main Street." It's always been bad show, but now it's REALLY BAD SHOW.
I'm all for refurbs, but right now no way in hell is MK worth 99 dollars for a one day ticket. Not only does it not have anything new of substance it also looks like Armageddon at MK. To bad the dusters will look the other way the rest of the year and foam at the mouth of Festival of Fantasy (which actually is good, but let's be real, it's a parade).

And it wouldn't be this bad if Meg didn't let this place literally start to fall apart. I think term is coined preventative maintenance.

Spike-in-Berlin

Sorry I don't want to read through the entire thread to look if someone else got the same question already answered but I want to know how long it will take for the moats to be refilled? We are planning a stay there in May and would appreciate to look at filled moats during our stay.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Eek. Those newer construction walls are getting even tackier. Yuck.

I'm surprised the Swan dock remained as long as it did. Planners are going to need some new ideas for marriage proposals. The wedding photographers are going to have their work cut out for them.

note2001

WOW! I don't think I ever realized how large the moat was around the castle and over by tomorrow land. I feel unobservant....

You're not alone. I've been going to Disney since '72, and in all this time I never realized the moat was a single unbroken loop.

Although I appreciated all the waterways, the only part I considered to be moat was up near the castle, and even then it didn't seem quite right. Don't moats go around the castle? Well, in the picture story books I read as a kid they did. :D

Fox&Hound

You're not alone. I've been going to Disney since '72, and in all this time I never realized the moat was a single unbroken loop.

Although I appreciated all the waterways, the only part I considered to be moat was up near the castle.

Yeah-I'm not sure I did either and I have been going since the 80's. Maybe since there is so much to look at and break up the flow of the moat. Wild...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom