Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

jt04

I am pleased with this project. Save the trees for Adventureland and DAK and Poly etc. An open plaza makes sense.

flyerjab

I noticed yesterday that the construction walls at Casey's were down, showing the expanded outdoor seating area that is ultimately tied into the re-imagining of the hub area.

articos

How does that explain how Disneyland maintains large trees, some dating back to the 1950s, in their park? Or how WDW did until about 10 years ago?

Of course trees need maintenance, and even replacement. That's why they even built a tree farm back when WDW opened to grow additional trees so that mature trees would be ready to replace trees that came down.

I just don't follow how one set of rules about trees applied in WDW until about 2004, and a slash and burn approach followed.
The original landscape planning for the park was that the trees in the Hub and along Main Street USA would be maintained at a certain height or replaced.

WDW1974

The original landscape planning for the park was that the trees in the Hub and along Main Street USA would be maintained at a certain height or replaced.

I am sure that was the case, a plan existing.

However, I am not buying that the almost total removal of mature shade trees at the MK was part of a plan ... unless it was a very poorly thought out one.

And it did sort of all happen starting around 2004 (i.e. the 'we can't see Wishes and the Castle' era)

Donald96

image.jpg

Going up?

articos

I am sure that was the case, a plan existing.

However, I am not buying that the almost total removal of mature shade trees at the MK was part of a plan ... unless it was a very poorly thought out one.

And it did sort of all happen starting around 2004 (i.e. the 'we can't see Wishes and the Castle' era)
Oh definitely not. Total removal and what we have today is so far from what the original planning was, Bill Evans would have people's heads. On top of that, he'd be taken seriously, because he was looked on with respect and landscaping was just as important as the attractions were during those days.

When I say "the plan" I meant during Evans' initial planning and the people he trained. As you well know, the entire reason for the tree farm was to be able to have a stock of mature plants and trees to be able to swap in and out. The Hub as it is now is just barren hardscape. The new plan is an attempt to fix that, though, with landscaping being restored, because certain people within WDI noticed and when given the task of helping traffic flow were able to add the landscaping back in (which is how a lot of things get fixed, sadly). Not as much as we might like, but the Hub will be better, at least. It's what happens when you don't have management with vision watching out for things like the feel of the park, as opposed to simply looking at the guest counts. It'd be nice if landscaping was taken more seriously - at one point they were much more a part of the conversation when it came to the property. That changed a while back, and now the landscaping management does what they're told, as opposed to sticking their neck out. But that's most of the management on property these days.

Last edited:

Otamin

Oh definitely not. Total removal and what we have today is so far from what the original planning was, Bill Evans would have people's heads. On top of that, he'd be taken seriously, because he was looked on with respect and landscaping was just as important as the attractions were during those days.

When I say "the plan" I meant during Evans' initial planning and the people he trained. As you well know, the entire reason for the tree farm was to be able to have a stock of mature plants and trees to be able to swap in and out. The Hub as it is now is just barren hardscape. The new plan is an attempt to fix that, though, with landscaping being restored, because certain people within WDI noticed and when given the task of helping traffic flow were able to add the landscaping back in (which is how a lot of things get fixed, sadly). Not as much as we might like, but the Hub will be better, at least. It's what happens when you don't have management with vision watching out for things like the feel of the park, as opposed to simply looking at the guest counts. It'd be nice if landscaping was taken more seriously - at one point they were much more a part of the conversation when it came to the property. That changed a while back, and now the landscaping management does what they're told, as opposed to sticking their neck out. But that's most of the management on property these days.
That's interesting to know.

What's the likelihood the trees will be big enough to see from Main Street though? I know they won't as big as they once were, but I'm hoping it'll look better than the mess we have now:

11371L.jpg

It's just so soulless.

Last edited:

SpectroMan93

What's the likelihood the trees will be big enough to see from Main Street though? I know they won't as big as they once were, but I'm hoping it'll look better at the mess we have now:

11371L.jpg

It's just so soulless.
I know I'm in the minority here, but I kind of like being able to see the whole castle from town square. Maybe it's because I'm younger and I don't remember when there were trees in the hub. Though, I do believe trees in the hub are necessary and will liven up the area.

articos

Oh definitely not. Total removal and what we have today is so far from what the original planning was, Bill Evans would have people's heads. When I say "the plan" I meant during Evans' initial planning and the people he trained. As you well know, the entire reason for the tree farm was to be able to have a stock of mature plants and trees to be able to swap in and out. The Hub as it is now is barren hardscape. The new plan is an attempt to fix that, though, with landscaping being restored. Not as much as we might like, but...

What's the likelihood the trees will be big enough to see from Main Street though? I know they won't as big as they once were, but I'm hoping it'll look better at the mess we have now:

It's just so soulless.

There will be trees back in the Hub, but not directly in sightlines with Main Street or obstructing the Castle. It will absolutely look better than now.

note2001

What's the likelihood the trees will be big enough to see from Main Street though? I know they won't as big as they once were, but I'm hoping it'll look better than the mess we have now:

11371L.jpg

It's just so soulless.
Looks like someone popped a big castle at the end of Main Street. Without plantings there's no forced perspective at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom