Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

SpaceMountain75

Currently sitting by the new hub fountains and surveying the view. The lighting poles are in fact intrusive, but not as much as I would've expected (no worse than Disneyland's in Town Square).
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
I definitely don't think I could've picked them out if I wasn't a nerd on these boards. That said, they should've made them retractable. If they had the capability, why didn't they do it? Is there any real reason other than laziness? I don't know. But on the bright side the fountains themselves are incredibly pretty.
image.jpeg

ryguy

Currently sitting by the new hub fountains and surveying the view. The lighting poles are in fact intrusive, but not as much as I would've expected (no worse than Disneyland's in Town Square).View attachment 111649
View attachment 111650 I definitely don't think I could've picked them out if I wasn't a nerd on these boards. That said, they should've made them retractable. If they had the capability, why didn't they do it? Is there any real reason other than laziness? I don't know. But on the bright side the fountains themselves are incredibly pretty. View attachment 111651

Would you say that viewing the fireworks from the Hub is now improved because of the renovations?

cspencer96

Is the evening not when, if they were, retractable lighting systems would be extended anyway?
As for the fountains, they do look wonderful, however, keeping on the theme of lights, I wish they had some underwater lighting within them like those wonderful fountains in France @ Epcot.
They do...it's usually uplit with a gorgeous burnt orange-red color by LEDs. I'm not sure why they are off in this photo, and it definitely is off-putting without it.

EDIT: Found a nice photo of them posted on WDWMAGIC News a while back.
Main-Street-USA_Full_23386.jpg

SpaceMountain75

Would you say that viewing the fireworks from the Hub is now improved because of the renovations?
I think I would, yeah. Granted I've only seen one show from it (Hallowishes) but that one experience was pretty great. It was easy to find a good spot 10 minutes before it started, there was a clear view of the sky and castle, and it didn't feel very claustrophobic. Very pleased overall.

Sage of Time

They do...it's usually uplit with a gorgeous burnt orange-red color by LEDs. I'm not sure why they are off in this photo, and it definitely is off-putting without it.

EDIT: Found a nice photo of them posted on WDWMAGIC News a while back.
Main-Street-USA_Full_23386.jpg
That color of red is so striking and strange. The lights should be golden/white so as to match Main Street.

cspencer96

That color of red is so striking and strange. The lights should be golden/white so as to match Main Street.
When you're there, it isn't strange. It blends in so well. It also isn't really striking when looking at it from the other direction, towards the castle. I think I've said this before here somewhere else, maybe in this thread who knows, but I think they chose the color with a lot of thought. I'm studying lighting design currently, and the color red is a very interesting one in terms of physics. It doesn't jar the brain into noticing it right away like other colors, so it allows the fountains to be lit without taking away from the backdrop of the Castle.

To me, seeing it in person it is great. The issue with these incredible LED fixtures is that camera phones do not handle them very well, and most cameras on Auto don't either. The reproduction of that color in the photo isn't very accurate.

Sage of Time

When you're there, it isn't strange. It blends in so well. It also isn't really striking when looking at it from the other direction, towards the castle. I think I've said this before here somewhere else, maybe in this thread who knows, but I think they chose the color with a lot of thought. I'm studying lighting design currently, and the color red is a very interesting one in terms of physics. It doesn't jar the brain into noticing it right away like other colors, so it allows the fountains to be lit without taking away from the backdrop of the Castle.

To me, seeing it in person it is great. The issue with these incredible LED fixtures is that camera phones do not handle them very well, and most cameras on Auto don't either. The reproduction of that color in the photo isn't very accurate.
I saw it in person and thought it was VERY jarring against the castle, which was lit in soft blue tones.

cspencer96

I saw it in person and thought it was VERY jarring against the castle, which was lit in soft blue tones.
Eh, personal preference I guess. In theory, they can make it any color they please, and I'm sure when everything is complete they will begin using that feature more.

Me though, I love the red. I wish I could figure out what gel number it is or is close to.

halltd

That would be cool if they could tie in the color controller of the fountains to match the castle colors. So they would change colors together and match as well. I think it would make it interesting. ;)
I was just thinking the same thing while reading the above posts. During the shows when it changes so frequently, no. But when it changes slowly through the night, yes please. :)

Monorail_Red_77

I was just thinking the same thing while reading the above posts. During the shows when it changes so frequently, no. But when it changes slowly through the night, yes please. :)

I'll have to talk to my friend that does work for various projects across WDW and DCL. I'll have to see if they are talking with him on that or the feasibility of that. ;)

MissM

Eh, personal preference I guess. In theory, they can make it any color they please, and I'm sure when everything is complete they will begin using that feature more.

Me though, I love the red. I wish I could figure out what gel number it is or is close to.

I took this pic back in March because I thought it looked quite pretty and rather striking. Depends perhaps on what color the Castle is at any given point in time since it varies colors throughout the evening.

mk-fountain-march15.jpg

WDWtraveler

Just off the hub, at the bypass exit near The Plaza Restaurant, a construction scrim has appeared around the back of the buildings.

Photo update as of Thursday, September 24. Originally reported on September 4th, the scrim is now removed and a new building façade has appeared to the left of the Town Plaza Restaurant, extending the Main Street theme into the bypass area. Originally, this was a plain brick wall.

IMG_6607.JPG

ABQ

Photo update as of Thursday, September 24. Originally reported on September 4th, the scrim is now removed and a new building façade has appeared to the left of the Town Plaza Restaurant, extending the Main Street theme into the bypass area. Originally, this was a plain brick wall.

View attachment 111929
This is certainly much better than the blank wall, the area to either side of the faux window still looks a bit bare, perhaps there's more to come, but not bad either way.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973

View attachment 111929
With the addition of a few trees, to the right of the faux facade and a bunch more to the left, you've got a far better sightline than anything that has existed before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom