Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Goofyernmost

Let's see if I have this right. We demand that Disney make changes, improve, build and include all of the things that we love, like the castle lights, etc. At the same time we are ed because they need equipment to do that and it is disturbing our overly sensitive concepts of the way that the process requires the entry of reality. If I were Disney I'd tell you all to take a flying leap on a rolling doughnut, and just do what they need too. Wait, I think that is what they are doing. I guess that Disney magic has limited power.

TheScreed

If I were Disney I'd tell you all to take a flying leap on a rolling doughnut, and just do what they need too. Wait, I think that is what they are doing. I guess that Disney magic has limited power.

I believe taking a flying leap on a rolling doughnut is the very definition of Disney Magic. At least that's how it feels when the post-vacation AmEx bill arrives.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Maybe I'm being too level headed and not quite ready to leap off of anything... but I personally love the Hub refurb except that I think since the technology exists for retractible lights, I'd sorta like them to hide show features until they are needed...like at night. I'm not exactly going to cancel a trip over it but I don't think it's too much to ask.

Sorry if that was calm and rational though. :D

pajammies

Maybe I'm being too level headed and not quite ready to leap off of anything... but I personally love the Hub refurb except that I think since the technology exists for retractible lights, I'd sorta like them to hide show features until they are needed...like at night. I'm not exactly going to cancel a trip over it but I don't think it's too much to ask.

Sorry if that was calm and rational though. :D

So are the show lights permanent? I know the Night of Joy lights are temporary, but are there more that are staying? Because if those very large ones that were pictured somewhere here in these threads are permanent, I do not like those either.
Couldn't they just put some panels on the side so there wasn't so much metal showing? Again, not sure if the photo I saw is something that is staying or not.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
So are the show lights permanent? I know the Night of Joy lights are temporary, but are there more that are staying? Because if those very large ones that were pictured somewhere here in these threads are permanent, I do not like those either.
Couldn't they just put some panels on the side so there wasn't so much metal showing? Again, not sure if the photo I saw is something that is staying or not.
lol I'm not sure. I was just joking about how it's okay to express a critique without fire and brimstone...or hyperbole. haha

WDWreed

The night of Joy ones (the big steel structures with banners all over them) are temporary, the show lighting rigs that are permanent are here, on either side of Walt and Mickey:
Main-Street-USA_Full_23601.jpg

And you can see them here:
Main-Street-USA_Full_23599.jpg

Theres better shots of them out there, but there they are.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I took some shots of the completed hub areas during my visit two weeks ago....some of these images make me feel like I'm at Disneyland, not the Magic Kingdom. While the center of the hub is still a bit "barren" for my taste, most of the hub is very lush. The area between the moat and the outer ring is overflowing with new trees. Overall, I'm quite pleased.
DSCN2617.JPG
DSCN2618.JPG
DSCN2620.JPG
DSCN2621.JPG
DSCN2622.jpg
DSCN2733.JPG
DSCN2739.JPG
DSCN2634.JPG
DSCN2633.JPG
DSCN2623.JPG

pajammies

The night of Joy ones (the big steel structures with banners all over them) are temporary, the show lighting rigs that are permanent are here, on either side of Walt and Mickey:
Main-Street-USA_Full_23601.jpg

And you can see them here:
Main-Street-USA_Full_23599.jpg

Theres better shots of them out there, but there they are.

I just think at the very least, they could have made the bottom of the posts "prettier" Something that matched the rest maybe. If they really needed to put those up. Which is where my confusion comes in. Why did they all of the sudden need them? But like I said not a huge deal to me, but indeed I don't like them.

@steve2wdw Nice pictures!

pajammies

Another question... Does the new hub make it feel less crowed? Won't be going til Novemebr and I'm just wondering if it helps for after fireworks exiting?

JoeCamel

Looks like a park to me, they could have worked the vertical elements in better (not the trees) but I will judge for my self in a couple of weeks when I am there.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Another question... Does the new hub make it feel less crowed? Won't be going til Novemebr and I'm just wondering if it helps for after fireworks exiting?
Personally, I felt there was plenty of room to move during Wishes and MSEP. The crowds were contained to the inner ring, and I found it very easy to move from Main Street, all the way to Cosmic Rays without having to dodge anyone. I did feel that the CM's are still trying to figure out crowd patterns, but overall, this is a huge improvement to the hub. I was especially pleased to see that from Liberty Square, most of Tomorrowland will be obscured by large trees....although the Contemporary is still looming in the background. Even the section of moat that was filled in doesn't bother me. It actually gave landscaping more room for trees that actually seem to tie Main Street to the hub. From the hub, I always felt that Main Street was off in the far distance, but not any more. It actually transitions very well. I'll be back to the MK in 6 weeks, so here's hoping that most of the work is complete. Can't wait for the last of the trees to go in where the temp tech booth is, to the east of Cindy's castle.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Looks like a park to me, they could have worked the vertical elements in better (not the trees) but I will judge for my self in a couple of weeks when I am there.
Everyone seems to be complaining about the theatrical lighting around the hub, but it didn't bother me at all. I feel that Disneyland's lighting is far more intrusive, mainly because the scale of Main Street and the hub is smaller, so those lighting towers really stand out to me. Could the MK have done it better...more creatively, sure, but it's not any where near a deal breaker for me.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I just think at the very least, they could have made the bottom of the posts "prettier" Something that matched the rest maybe. If they really needed to put those up. Which is where my confusion comes in. Why did they all of the sudden need them? But like I said not a huge deal to me, but indeed I don't like them.

@steve2wdw Nice pictures!
Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom