Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Goofyernmost

Please explain to me why you would need them for guest safety in the middle of the day, as you are being blinded by sun.
I will try, if you can explain to me why something that has existed since the first shovel of dirt was turned in Disneyland is all of a sudden so important to everyone. Or is it just something else to complain about because the Hub has turned out to be pretty nice and no where near the disaster that was predicted.

Just look at that one picture which is a small portion of the Hub and calculate how many of those "retractable" things would be necessary and at the same time tell my why not being there in a place where you spend only minutes of your day is worthy of that kind of unnecessary expense. It takes nothing to see that even if they can double as show lights, they are necessary for nighttime safety and when you add an additional mechanical element to that safety you can easily have compromised its purpose. Get over the damn lights. Unless that is what you go to focus on, they are hardly in ones consciousness. And even if they are in line with ones picture, take a couple of steps sideways (either way) and take them out of your picture line. Seriously!

Goofyernmost

Because it's 2015, not 1955.
No kidding, really? What does that have to do with anything at all. It's lighting, it's a utility, it is not, in and of itself, an attraction. It is a necessary evil that stops people from injuries and other problems. It cannot be compromised just so that some one can get a clean picture of a fantasy. It was never included in the spirit of the show.

Next Big Thing

No kidding, really? What does that have to do with anything at all. It's lighting, it's a utility, it is not, in and of itself, an attraction. It is a necessary evil that stops people from injuries and other problems. It cannot be compromised just so that some one can get a clean picture of a fantasy. It was never included in the spirit of the show.
How are people being put at risk for injuries? They do it at Epcot. They do it at Disneyland. They do it at TDS. Disney isn't stupid, they know how to do this stuff and they would have safety plans in place.

Add to the fact that the lights are inside of planters and it's a bit ridiculous to say that people are at risk of injury because planters are an easy thing to make sure are cleared, plus it's an obvious barrier anyway.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
As you know, I have just returned from WDW.
Last November, I had no idea how this hub work was going to turn out. Two/three weeks ago, I was able to experience the almost completed project.

I walked barefoot on the turf, in 95 degree weather, and did not get burned.
I laid flat on that turf, and closed my eyes, just absorbing the sounds.

And just like the Soarin' building, I never once noticed a single light post, unless I looked for them. And considering that's not why I visit the Magic Kingdom, I can truthfully say that I was not conscious of them for more than 10 seconds.

halltd

I would argue that the majority of people visit Disney for more than the attractions. It's the atmosphere, service, attractions, and SHOW that brings people back year after year. If people only cared about attractions, Disney would just be another Cedar Fair or Six Flags park. But, it's not.

I believe people are "upset" with the lights because they know Disney can do better. All the other light poles in the new hub are there for safety too, but they're themed. So are the speakers. So are the other utilities. These are an issue to a lot of people BECAUSE they're so blatantly obvious in such an otherwise beautifully themed area. It only takes one item to destroy the theme.

PS: I put "upset" in quotes because I really don't think anyone is distraught over the poles or will cancel a trip because of them. But, this IS a fan forum to discuss what they like and dislike. These just happen to be one thing people dislike.

JenniferS

Premium Member
I would argue that the majority of people visit Disney for more than the attractions. It's the atmosphere, service, attractions, and SHOW that brings people back year after year. If people only cared about attractions, Disney would just be another Cedar Fair or Six Flags park. But, it's not.

I believe people are "upset" with the lights because they know Disney can do better. All the other light poles in the new hub are there for safety too, but they're themed. So are the speakers. So are the other utilities. These are an issue to a lot of people BECAUSE they're so blatantly obvious in such an otherwise beautifully themed area. It only takes one item to destroy the theme.

PS: I put "upset" in quotes because I really don't think anyone is distraught over the poles or will cancel a trip because of them. But, this IS a fan forum to discuss what they like and dislike. These just happen to be one thing people dislike.
Me, I am upset by empty pavilions, shuttered attractions, and abandoned restaurants.
Light posts, not so much. :)

lazyboy97o

So all those lighting designers are just con artist hacks?

Next Big Thing

Me, I am upset by empty pavilions, shuttered attractions, and abandoned restaurants.
All of what you listed is valid to be upset at Disney for. However it doesn't mean we can't still expect the absolute best from Disney with projects like these. It's not a give/take situation and i'm certainly not equally upset about what you listed.

I just think as a community, we should expect the best from Disney and use technologies that will enhance the guest experience the most. They didn't do that here, however, on the whole i'm not going to rage over it because 1). It's a theme park and 2). the rest of the new hub looks great and works exactly as designed.

MerlinTheGoat

So all those lighting designers are just con artist hacks?
You're arguing with the same person who said they're GLAD the trim lighting on the Grand Floridian and the EPCOT resorts is broken and hopes they remain so (claiming it to be tacky, inappropriate and "outdated", in spite of those resorts being deliberately designed after architecture built during a time period appropriate for that exact kind of lighting). Similarly, they also said the Great Movie Ride's spires were hideous and poor design choices, also wishing their removal would be permanent.

I wouldn't take his opinions on design choices and aesthetics seriously, I sometimes really do suspect he's just trolling at this point.

Last edited:

SpaceMountain75

*desparately searches for new hub photos to change topic*
Look! Pretty stuff!
image.jpg

JenniferS

Premium Member
I'm so excited to see it in person in 5 days!:)
I hope you have a lovely trip.

The area in and around the castle is still not done, but if you visited wall-city last year, you will be pleasantly surprised.

I slipped off my flip flops and walked barefoot on the turf - it was surprisingly soft. Not like real grass, of course, but certainly not like putt putt turf.

I also laid on it. Flat out.
Mind you, I also laid flat in my driveway last month to watch the meteor shower, so apparently I'm not averse to just flopping down anywhere.

SpaceMountain75

I hope you have a lovely trip.

The area in and around the castle is still not done, but if you visited wall-city last year, you will be pleasantly surprised.

I slipped off my flip flops and walked barefoot on the turf - it was surprisingly soft. Not like real grass, of course, but certainly not like putt putt turf.

I also laid on it. Flat out.
Mind you, I also laid flat in my driveway last month to watch the meteor shower, so apparently I'm not averse to just flopping down anywhere.
Thanks! I'm holding out hope that the construction workers will work rapid fire and finish by this Saturday!:) Wall city was brutal last year, I'm just looking forward to see what's done already. The Plaza Gardens look and sound wonderful, I can't wait to do copious amounts of flopping on it!

msteel

As you know, I have just returned from WDW.
Last November, I had no idea how this hub work was going to turn out. Two/three weeks ago, I was able to experience the almost completed project.

I walked barefoot on the turf, in 95 degree weather, and did not get burned.
I laid flat on that turf, and closed my eyes, just absorbing the sounds.

And just like the Soarin' building, I never once noticed a single light post, unless I looked for them. And considering that's not why I visit the Magic Kingdom, I can truthfully say that I was not conscious of them for more than 10 seconds.

But the carcinogens.....

DaBears81

This! So much yes! If more of this didn't happen, you would be inside these places not noticing light poles, trees, or benches! The light posts don't bother me, they do their light post things I do mine and they don't get in my way, so o don't get in theirs!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom