Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

ABQ

No. The poles telescope. While they certainly could go a few feet below grade, they would not need to retract below ground level, but instead telescope downward into a box hidden by landscaping, or a fake rock, etc.
Just like the antenna on a news van. Takes very little real estate vertically when fully retracted.
11_41_67_web.jpg

DGracey

Are we sure that some of the light poles are not temporary and will come down once the other turrets are finished?

Permanent. Horribly permanent. The poles are even in the original artist renderings of the transformation.

There are actually more to come.

A big oversight in my mind for an otherwise well done re-imagination of the hub.

DGracey

Just like the antenna on a news van. Takes very little real estate vertically when fully retracted.
11_41_67_web.jpg

The irony of course being that Disney owns ABC, which collectively has hundreds if not thousands of these trucks all across the country. Come on Disney.

brb1006

I don't know is this has been brought up already but Mary Poppins is now doing meet and greets at the Main Street Plaza West Gardens.

idea_lightbulb.gif~c200

Also is it just me or does the new East and West Gardens look like another perfect spot for future Disney characters to do meet and greets? It sounds like a perfect opportunity for Disney to start in the future.

Sped2424

I don't know is this has been brought up already but Mary Poppins is now doing meet and greets at the Main Street Plaza West Gardens.

idea_lightbulb.gif~c200

Also is it just me or does the new East and West Gardens look like another perfect spot for future Disney characters to do meet and greets? It sounds like a perfect opportunity for Disney to start in the future.
I like the gardens as is, characters are free to walk around. But no need for yet another spot of lines especially not so in front of the castle.

SpaceMountain75

Permanent. Horribly permanent. The poles are even in the original artist renderings of the transformation.

There are actually more to come.

A big oversight in my mind for an otherwise well done re-imagination of the hub.
Welp, I'm going to continue to have (misplaced) optimism that Disney will see the poles for the eyesore that they are and remove them at the end of the project.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, Aug 27. The castle forecourt, showing more of the recently installed "cobblestone" pavement surrounding the yet-to-be-finished center emblem.

IMG_6067.JPG

In this view of the ramp on the castle's right side, new rectangular concrete supports are installed for the railings. Openings for ramp lighting at the base of these structures. These match the décor of the other rectangular shaped structures in the forecourt.

IMG_6068.JPG

Not sure this has been shown yet, but here is a view of one of the "out-buildings" near the inner circle hub. Appears to be a shelter for kiosks, with a storage box at the rear. The Rose Garden area is to the right of this photo.

IMG_6070.JPG

Sage of Time

tree2.jpg

There, fixed it! The light pole is hidden and there are trees for extra shade! ;)
This looks so much better. I'm serious. Look at how lush and classy that appears.

Are we sure that some of the light poles are not temporary and will come down once the other turrets are finished?
I'm really hoping that once the rest of the project wraps up, some new lighting rigs will be installed.

peter11435

Ugggggly. I can't believe these are actually on stage. They HAVE to be replaced at some point.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. There have been similar lighting towers in most of these locations for decades. You just didn't notice them as much because they blended into the trees. These are the replacements. They are here to stay for the foreseeable future.

DGracey

Welp, I'm going to continue to have (misplaced) optimism that Disney will see the poles for the eyesore that they are and remove them at the end of the project.

They wouldn't have put them in this way in the first place if they were concerned about show.

I don't get it. They have many other retractable lighting grids all over MK and the entire property (eg. Epcot World Showcase).

Why wouldn't they attempt to hide these poles that are in the busiest location, in the busiest theme park in the world, directly in front of the most iconic focal point for the entire company? Mind boggling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom