Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

dstrawn9889

THE LADDER IS BACK TO WORK!!!!!!

I was there Sunday late afternoon/early evening. I didn't bring my DSLR but I did have my pocket point-and-shoot and took some photos over the wall.

mk-construction-aug1615d.jpg

mk-construction-aug1615e.jpg

mk-construction-aug1615f.jpg

mk-construction-aug1615g.jpg

mk-construction-aug1615h.jpg

Also, here's a look at the former Rose Garden area both from the PeopleMover and down on the ground from the Tomorrowland bridge

mk-construction-aug1615b.jpg

mk-construction-aug1615c.jpg

And finally, there's some work being done on the roof of the Tomorrowland (Noodle) Terrace:
mk-construction-aug1615a.jpg

Pics originally posted to my blog: www.TheFloridaProject.com/blog

Monorail_Red_77

IMG_9061.JPG

IMG_9062.JPG
IMG_9063.JPG

IMG_9064.JPG
I found out something interesting. This is Mainstreet related, althought it is at the opposite end. The entrance tunnels have lost their map pockets that were lining the walls. I was at MK on Sunday 8/16 and noticed this. (my last visit was May 22-23 and they were on the walls) I think that it is an improvement in looks as well as guest flow. Used to always get bottle necks there.

My first thought was, What The Heck! Then I saw the map kiosks located before the tunnels, in the tunnels and after the tunnels. I think that it brings it more in line with the rest of the parks now.

note2001

I believe that the addition of the maps to the tunnel was a 1990s thing. (I recall disliking the placement there after a decade-long hiatus.) If this change is permanent, it's a good decision, as you said, they increased the tendency for the tunnels to bottleneck, and they weren't well lit for those who were looking for them.

How are they handling the rain situation with the maps being exposed? I think that was the purpose of them being there to start with.

Last edited:

Tod&BigMamaOdie

View attachment 106771
View attachment 106772 View attachment 106773
View attachment 106774 I found out something interesting. This is Mainstreet related, althought it is at the opposite end. The entrance tunnels have lost their map pockets that were lining the walls. I was at MK on Sunday 8/16 and noticed this. (my last visit was May 22-23 and they were on the walls) I think that it is an improvement in looks as well as guest flow. Used to always get bottle necks there.

My first thought was, What The Heck! Then I saw the map kiosks located before the tunnels, in the tunnels and after the tunnels. I think that it brings it more in line with the rest of the parks now.

It never fails that we always get crop-dusted in these tunnels at the park opening. This change of moving that Map Pockets might not affect that but then again, maybe it'll increase the throughput speed, helping us avoid it or at least minimize our exposure. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy this kind of thing, sharing with one another and such. But, it's not a Magical way to start our day at the MK.

jrhwdw

View attachment 106771
View attachment 106772 View attachment 106773
View attachment 106774 I found out something interesting. This is Mainstreet related, althought it is at the opposite end. The entrance tunnels have lost their map pockets that were lining the walls. I was at MK on Sunday 8/16 and noticed this. (my last visit was May 22-23 and they were on the walls) I think that it is an improvement in looks as well as guest flow. Used to always get bottle necks there.

Darn! When I looked at the first pic,I thought it was a new Map Kiosk in the Hub!

So how many Kiosks around the tunnels are there now? Are they easy to find?

As far as weather, I think there's a big kiosk outside City Hall at least in the mornings, what do they do with that one if it rains?

Monorail_Red_77

Darn! When I looked at the first pic,I thought it was a new Map Kiosk in the Hub!

As far as weather, I think there's a big kiosk outside City Hall at least in the mornings, what do they do with that one if it rains?

From what I saw there is one right before you enter the tunnel. One inside the tunnel in the front and center area. Then there is one directly outside the tunnel. It is the same for both tunnels.

Monorail_Red_77

Yes they are easy to find. Just as long as you are not looking along the wall. ;)

note2001

It never fails that we always get crop-dusted in these tunnels at the park opening. This change of moving that Map Pockets might not affect that but then again, maybe it'll increase the throughput speed, helping us avoid it or at least minimize our exposure. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy this kind of thing, sharing with one another and such. But, it's not a Magical way to start our day at the MK.

Urban Dictionary helps the under-socialized once again. :) LOL.
.... and what do you mean by " I enjoy this kind of thing, sharing with one another and such"? :cautious:

wogwog

I believe that the addition of the maps to the tunnel was a 1990s thing. (I recall disliking the placement there after a decade-long hiatus.) If this change is permanent, it's a good decision, as you said, they increased the tendency for the tunnels to bottleneck, and they weren't well lit for those who were looking for them.

How are they handling the rain situation with the maps being exposed? I think that was the purpose of them being there to start with.
A Guest Relations cast I know tells me they are built on wheels and have a tarp cover. The trick will be knowing when to cover or move them. It does rain suddenly and hard at times in Florida. :)

Last edited:

djkidkaz

The new Rose Garden is really starting to take shape. Should be beautiful when completed. I'm really looking forward to checking it out hopefully on our next trip.View attachment 106442

From the concept art it looks like there will be no walking trail in the old rose garden area. Basically just a lot of grass and trees. Seems like it would have been another small spot they could have added some walkways just to increase capacity. I notice a lot of Guests who like to picnic in the new Fast Pass areas. Had they had a couple nice little nooks in this area it would have been perfect for that.
castle-courtyard-redo.jpg

Tod&BigMamaOdie

Urban Dictionary helps the under-socialized once again. :) LOL.
.... and what do you mean by " I enjoy this kind of thing, sharing with one another and such"? :cautious:
Let's just say that I am not the one to crop-dust strangers, especially in the tunnels at the MK.

Edited as previous version of this post was truly TMI.

Last edited:

Monorail_Red_77

Nice!

Also, here's a pic of the kiosks that are still located inside the tunnels. Better location I must say. Plus one at each end of the tunnels, just outside of the tunnels.

IMG_9144.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom