Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

RSoxNo1

If they're going to limit themselves to one section of the Hub at a time to mitigate having walls up around the entire Hub, I could see it taking that long to finish the complete project...

-Rob
Even still, laying concrete doesn't take that much time.

Rob562

Even still, laying concrete doesn't take that much time.

There's still utility work to consider. Storm drains, electrical and water/sewer for the new food stands, water for the new fountains.

Of course I have no first-hand experience with construction and how long those things take to lay down.

-Rob

GrumpyFan

Are there any significant moving parts here? I know they need to fill in the moat in a few spots, but it's 20 months to pour some pathways?

It's definitely a LONG time to do this. The only viable reason I can think of them taking this long to do it would be to spread out the financial impact/cost, if that's possible. It would seem to fit the bill for the way all other major construction projects at WDW go, where they spread it out over a year or more. I'm with you though, it doesn't seem like the scope of work here would take THAT long to do it, unless there's something extra tricky involved with the engineering of adding this on top of the utilidoors.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
MK has three ways to access the park via support vehicles and CM's... Park/Gate 1 behind MS East, Park/Gate 2 directly North of the park behind Fantasyland, and Park / Gate 3 behind Splash.

Thank You! Ask and someone is bound to know the answer. :happy:

Knew those entrances were there, never heard them referred to as Gate#'s before. Learned something today.

aladdin2007

It's definitely a LONG time to do this. The only viable reason I can think of them taking this long to do it would be to spread out the financial impact/cost, if that's possible. It would seem to fit the bill for the way all other major construction projects at WDW go, where they spread it out over a year or more. I'm with you though, it doesn't seem like the scope of work here would take THAT long to do it, unless there's something extra tricky involved with the engineering of adding this on top of the utilidoors.

Its TDO nickel and diming again I would imagine.

BwanaBob

Are there any significant moving parts here? I know they need to fill in the moat in a few spots, but it's 20 months to pour some pathways?
They will need to re-work all the utilities while keeping the Hub functional during the whole process. How do you keep the entertainment going with sound and interactive elements not impacting the guest experience while doing a major construction project? Very carefully. They will most likely finish early, but giving themselves a large window.
Think about lighting, audio, wi-fi infrastructure, Glow with the Show, besides general water, storm-drain, and electricity.

Last edited:

DrewmanS

You have to consider all of the work required, removal of existing infrastructure, build retaining walls, regrading, moved utilities, new concrete, other hardscaping, landscaping etc. If this was a green field, it might take 3 months, but they have to do this in the very middle of the park while keeping most areas open for guests and minimize work during the day. So now break it up into 4 or 5 smaller projects and restrict most of the work to midnight to 7 am.

RSoxNo1

They will need to re-work all the utilities while keeping the Hub functional during the whole process. How do you keep the entertainment going with sound and interactive elements not impacting the guest experience while doing a major construction projecVery carefully. They will most likely finish early, but giving themselves a large window.
Think about lighting, audio, wi-fi infastructure, Glow with the Show,
I still maintain that if October 2015 is the date, this is a ridiculous time frame.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Blah. Poor Momma ducks bringing her little duckies into the world in this mess. Little did she know this was going to happen when she planned for her ducklings.

Bhqi62yIIAAyHdh.jpg

mark diba

Rob562

So I just called to ask about this. The CM said that the hub and moats should be done by March 13th. Seems too fast to me.

If they're erecting temporary dams to either side of where the FP+ gardens will be going so they can work on them while the rest of the Hub has water and looks pretty, then yes, I could see only needing to have the waterway drained for a couple weeks.

But for the whole project? No way in heck.

With the recently mentioned closure at the Treehouse for a couple weeks, I'd presume that when the Treehouse reopens is when the waterway will get refilled.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom