Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Mad Stitch

I think that's likely the point. Stand and watch in the inner ring, folks keep moving around the outer ring.

I guess so, I understand the need to keep people moving during parades and fireworks. It's just that the inner rings gets so crowded, I'd like to see additional viewing space for non FP+ people. Hopefully the dedicated FP+ viewing areas will free up space in the center of the hub and the Main Street bypass will allow for more viewing on Main Street proper without the isle roped/taped off.

jrh1985

Like the Video! For some reason, I'm surprised that WDW admitted that this was underway, They usually don't promote Referb Projects unless their building something major like FLE, Avatar, DHS/Star Wars/Cars??????

On , they mentioned that a new castle stage is part of the project, any truth? When would DAWM end? Would parade travel patterns(Esp. MISICI)change during construction?

The Parks Blog claim that their adding 2 more pathways to the hub. Is that the extra loop, because that's all I see.

Anyone think they'll add fountains to the moat?
***I am not starting a rumor!!**

jdmdisney99

My thoughts on the subject...
I am happy with how they are easing congestion. It will definitely be beneficial.

Love that they are [planning on] retaining vegetation!

Sort of disappointed that the moat is being cutoff, for nostalgic and thematic purposes, but then again, DL never had a real moat.

New Castle turrets look tacky in that video. I hope they match better. Also, am I the only one who sees tents and stairs on those things that look like prime FP+ opportunities?

I am still disappointed the Castle Stage will remain in current form. Those Golden Arches just disrupt the view of the Castle thematically.

Hopefully TDO will let these trees grow in. Comparing a walk down MSUSA in DL to a parallel in WDW is embarrassing when looking at their comfort/maturity. DL actually feels like a town with huge trees.

Overall, hopeful for this project! :)

prfctlyximprct

Wow, this is going to be great. And I am not being sarcastic! After catching the end of Wishes one night in July after dining at Chef Mickey's, it was impossible to make it anywhere! Tour groups were out in full force and it was like swimming against the current to make it up to the hub and over into Tomorrowland. Now I will not fear being trampled, or whacked in the face with a tour group flag.

Kudos, Disney!

SpectroMan93

Too bad about losing the bridge into the hub...otherwise thumbs up. I think with the new towers/spires out in front, the castle gates behind in NFL will be more cohesive and make more sense.
What I love about the castle walls and towers is that it ties together the idea of a kingdom, giving Cinderella Castle more of a domain that just being a focal point. It definitely strengthens the prominence of the castle, not that it really needed it.

On another note, reported a rumor that a new nighttime show will debut in 2015 to coincide with the new hub. Is there any substance to that rumor? I know Steve Davison is currently working on a nighttime show for MK, but I didn't think the timing would be that "soon", though it would be quite welcome to replace the 10+ year old Wishes. I love that show dearly, but it's time for it to go.

lazyboy97o

The trees in that video appear larger than what the actual plans call for... perhaps they made the video of what it will look like in 5 years after the trees have grown a little. Or maybe it's just the perspective. Either way, that video is pretty accurate... though I still can't make heads or tails as to why they are reinforcing that east path into the hub.
I would image the trees are stock models closest to the idea of what is planned.

wedenterprises

I'm happy about this and it looks like it could be really cool! The one thing that caught my eye was the sculpted gardens. That's going to look lovely.

Good for congestion too. I see no downside to this except for losing the rose garden path. that's my ONLY gripe. We lose a nice quiet area. :(

Goofnut1980

It looks really good... Can't wait to see the finished project..

How the heck are they going to work on it though, it is an operating park. Walls will block views of fireworks... Wonder if they will do it in quarters or something like that...

KingdomofDreams

I haven't posted here in a really long time, but I frequently read to keep up with current events. Just had to comment on this project.

I agree with most of the other posts. It's something long needed and as long as they carry through with the green space, sizable trees, etc. it should look very nice and significantly improve traffic flow, although I've never been a fan of the reddish concrete it looks like they plan to include. To my eye, it's just not appealing and doesn't blend well with the prominent blue shades of the castle. But that's just my own personal preference and may not be something anyone else notices or cares about at all.

The thing that does bug me about this project is the timing and the apparent length of time it's going to take until completion. We've just endured years of Fantasyland being totally torn up, and now that it's finally at completion and the new parade is being rolled out, they intend to completely tear up the entire hub area. I realize with budgets, costs have to be spread out, and believe me, I am totally onboard with rehabs and improvements, but this just seems unfortunate timing. And from what I've seen/read, it seems it's possibly going to take them a year to complete it! Really? A year to do landscaping and pour concrete? I know that's being simplistic and it's a bit more than just that, but they aren't constructing a building or an attraction. I just wish for once they'd get in, get it done and get out, without it taking forever.

MUTZIE77

They are refurbishing the ones on either side of the castle and moving the two that normally serve popcorn and things.
Are they moving the ones that serve popcorn and stuff or getting rid of them? I cant seem to spot them in the video, I kinda like the look of them, I feel like they add to the style and feel of the hub. It would suck to lose all of them, since the swan boat dock will be gone and the other two reskinned.

Zweiland

Since a lot of people are comparing and contrasting the trees and such to Disneyland, I decided to do a few screengrabs for a side by side comparison. I included the "old" MK hub for good measure.

(Note: Not to scale, in the pictures Disneyland's hub ring is as big as the MK's)

Disneyland Hub

Disneyland Hub.JPG

MK New Hub

MK New Hub.JPG

MK Old Hub

MK Old Hub 2.JPG

JungleTrekFan

Are they moving the ones that serve popcorn and stuff or getting rid of them?
They are in the outer ring, opposite each other, one by the Tomorrowland path and the other by the Adventureland path.

Im wondering if they will actually go with that beautiful beige color pavement, or if thats just apart of the artistic rendering. Personally I’m just not fond of the off red paths that are currently in place.
I also am loving the castle themed tech buildings and speaker towers.

Last edited:

JungleTrekFan

mk-new-hub-jpg.47091

If you notice there are only larger trees off to the left and right flanks of the new circle, just south of the new FP+ viewing and by the expanded seating areas. This will hopefully make it so those flanks and lower two horizontal paths would become walking paths to exit the park or go out into the rest of the park during fireworks and parades.
As someone who has worked Parade Control before, i can tell you how frustrating it can be trying to keep Main Street paths open at night. Hopefully these trees will assist these cast even in the slightest way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom