Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

JerseyDad

....I'm one of those, "I wonder how they do / did that" people. (civil engineer's are like that).

....I wonder if the aforementioned moat ...plays any part in storm water management / drainage? ...and if so ....how does altering or filling it impact that aspect of the WDW / MK infrastructure?

....are the "geek alert' sirens going off yet?

jdmdisney99

....I'm one of those, "I wonder how they do / did that" people. (civil engineer's are like that).

....I wonder if the aforementioned moat ...plays any part in storm water management / drainage? ...and if so ....how does altering or filling it impact that aspect of the WDW / MK infrastructure?

....are the "geek alert' sirens going off yet?
I'm wondering if this affects the circulation of the water at all.

Otamin

I don't mind the new plans in all honesty, and it should help make the place feel more like a park again (if there truly are more trees).

I take it we'll still have to put up with a view like this looking down Main Street USA though? :(

11371L.jpg

I miss the days it used to look like this:

mainstreet.jpg

Last edited:

matt9112

You miss my point... East Street should still be accessible from Main Street via Center Street, and it should be open at all times. It should be more of a covered pathway or arcade. In Florida, we have this thing called rain in the summer. Covered or interior pathways are wonderful. And people do move though these fairly quickly. The idea of building an alternate parade route on this street won out, over something more useful for guests. Not sure why you think that if you build something a bit nicer that people will stop and doddle. That's really not the case.

tell me what happens when it rains....oh that's right EVERYONE travels through all the stores front to back down main street...that is already bad enough. =P

matt9112

I don't mind the new plans in all honesty, and it should help make the place feel more like a park again (if there truly is more trees).

I take it we'll still have to put up with a view like this looking down Main Street USA though? :(

11371L.jpg

mainstreet.jpg

i dont mind the smaller trees...honestly...not sure why but its really low on my worry list.
granted thats alot of trash cans holy hell.

Father Robinson

Serious question: Anyone know if the moat will remained fully drained until the project is completed in 2015? Is it possible to assume the work that made it necessary to drain in the first place will be completed first so that they can refill ASAP?

Snowflake82

I don't mind the new plans in all honesty, and it should help make the place feel more like a park again (if there truly are more trees).

11371L.jpg

mainstreet.jpg

I miss the trees, too. But realistically, you can't have the castle projection shows with those trees in the way.

Kevo

In Olde Englande, the moat was used to hide all sorts of unpleasantness!
I wonder what will emerge from the drainage process?

Captain Hook's pocket watch perhaps?
The remains of Jungle Cruise Skipper candidates that failed the 'comedy test'?
Board room execs that tried to build rides instead of MyMagic+?

Is the moat Disney's 'Room 101'?

BwanaBob

flyerjab

I remember when @TheVisionarySoul first posted about this concerning what appeared to be a total lack of trees I thought how horrible that would be. Looking at the officially released WDW Video Anime' of the project really has me impressed. They seem to have found a way to greatly increase the amount of concrete, while still adding beautifully sculpted gardens, numerous trees, additional viewing areas, marble fountains, and what look like castle extensions (I know that they are not but they visually add to the castle). I think that it is a wonderful compromise to what is currently a disaster during the nighttime fireworks and the ensuing stampede to the exits.

The part I don't get is the construction of the pathway behind MSUSA. I initially thought that it would be a street with its own separate exit from the MK. This does not seem to be the case as it now looks to me to be dumping people back out into MSUSA near the Confectionary. There will still be a huge crowd near the exits beneath the Train Station.

I know that people are upset that WDW is not building Arcades similar to DLP but that didn't necessarily concern me as much as I originally thought that this was truly serving the purpose of adding an extra exit-only to the park. My question now is what purpose does an Arcade style street serve? I saw the photo of what was built in DL and it seems boring to me. I would love to see a photo (or photos) of the DLP Arcades for a comparison to see that WDW is missing out on with this addition. Could there possible be some type of legitimate issue with how WDW MSUSA store buildings are constructed? Would the cost just be too much to add back entrances to the MSUSA stores if there is infrastructure there that we guests cannot see that would need to be relocated? Is whatever else is located in back of MSUSA to much of a hassle to knock down and relocate somewhere else? Just very curious about this particular addition and apparently missed opportunity to the MK.

matt9112

In Olde Englande, the moat was used to hide all sorts of unpleasantness!
I wonder what will emerge from the drainage process?

Captain Hook's pocket watch perhaps?
The remains of Jungle Cruise Skipper candidates that failed the 'comedy test'?
Board room execs that tried to build rides instead of MyMagic+?

Is the moat Disney's 'Room 101'?

florida is not england. nuff said....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom