Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Goofnut1980

Has anyone wondered why they are doing these phases so weird?

First it was the back half, then the hub center, then the north hub sides, now some of the castle... Is there an issue with finding a crew of 50 to do this all in a few weeks, over a few decades?

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes

First it was the back half, then the hub center, then the north hub sides, now some of the castle... Is there an issue with finding a crew of 50 to do this all in a few weeks, over a few decades?

Problem is the hub has to stay open and passable. They worked on the most congested traffic areas first to get them open before height of summer crowds. Yes it takes longer but having walls everywhere in the hub and sending all foot traffic down a very narrow corridor was not a realistic option.

Bolt

One element is the park closes at midnight almost every night this summer with the park clearing at 2am. Trucks can only work from 2am-730am getting on and off Main Street.

peter11435

During the night there are more than 50 working on this project. It has to be done in phases because it is in the center of the busiest theme park in the world.

Brian

More pictures from last night and today:

The crews start working as soon the park even closed. (Midnight close, photo around 12:05am). Photo didn't come out well, but there appears to be very large breaker boxes in that structure.

lnCQ6dL.jpg

Note how there's no speakers in this lamp pole.

OaZLewq.jpg

3ka0sCP.jpg

Aos6nkE.jpg

To settle the "which turret is taller?" debate, the inner ones are taller.

azElrvk.jpg

Tv0Jfwn.jpg

That's all for now. I have to say I'm incredibly impressed with how this project is turning out. Seeing it in person makes a world of a difference. The above picture is one of my favorite new views.

Last edited:

bakntime

When they announced this was going to happen, I was somewhat concerned about the damage that might be done to the hub's landscaping. It's always been one of my favorite things about the Magic Kingdom, but I knew that it was pretty much a necessary change.

Every new element that is revealed is making me feel so much better about it. While they did have to remove some of the greenery, it looks like they're going to maintain a lot of what made it great (plenty of trees, foliage, and flowerbeds), along with adding some beautiful new elements like the fountains. The bridges look great (you still have the waterway), and the new, lighter tan color of the sidewalk is so much better compared to the iconic MK red, which I used to love but now I prefer the new color.

For a project that could have otherwise deterred from the hub's atmosphere by making it a big paved/concrete sidewalk, they've done an amazing job of making sure that didn't happen.

WDWLover#1

When they announced this was going to happen, I was somewhat concerned about the damage that might be done to the hub's landscaping. It's always been one of my favorite things about the Magic Kingdom, but I knew that it was pretty much a necessary change.

Every new element that is revealed is making me feel so much better about it. While they did have to remove some of the greenery, it looks like they're going to maintain a lot of what made it great (plenty of trees, foliage, and flowerbeds), along with adding some beautiful new elements like the fountains. The bridges look great (you still have the waterway), and the new, lighter tan color of the sidewalk is so much better compared to the iconic MK red, which I used to love but now I prefer the new color.

For a project that could have otherwise deterred from the hub's atmosphere by making it a big paved/concrete sidewalk, they've done an amazing job of making sure that didn't happen.
I find it funny that people were concerned about the butchering of the landscape, considering that the landscape was already ruined when the trees left. The hub expansion had added flowers and trees and fountains. Definitely an improvement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom