Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, June 27. Update on construction on either side of castle. First photo is construction on left side of castle, looking from the back, viewed from the Liberty Square bridge.

IMG_5642.JPG

Second photo is construction on right side of castle (the old Rose Garden), viewed from People Mover. On the other side of the "concession stand" (if that is what it is), you can see the foundations for more fireworks viewing area, as the low walls and light pole bases are similar to those installed in the new hub area.

IMG_5651.JPG

MerlinTheGoat

no, now the fireworks have an unobstructed view when they start going off on the forum.
The trees were never big enough to obscure the view of the fireworks. They're shot off far north behind Magic Kingdom, their initial takeoff is already obstructed by all the wild trees, New Fantasyland and Cinderella's Castle. The trees weren't even able to obstruct the view more than it already was, the castle itself is far taller than the trees ever became, the rockets still have to clear the top of the spires to see them. They go off in the sky, not just a few dozen feet off the ground...

And the new spires along the side of the castle currently being built look even taller than the trees ever were.

The only thing the trees would have obscured is the projection show (something that wasn't introduced for many years after the trees were removed). And I don't consider the show to be a suitable replacement for the loss of the trees. A 10 minute projection show doesn't compensate for the remaining 99% the day/night being uglier it used to be (pre-2004).

Last edited:

articos

Second photo is construction on right side of castle (the old Rose Garden), viewed from People Mover. On the other side of the "concession stand" (if that is what it is), you can see the foundations for more fireworks viewing area, as the low walls and light pole bases are similar to those installed in the new hub area.
I don't believe that will be additional fireworks viewing, rather the walls and railings to surround the tree/garden area, mirroring the west side of the hub.
Right, the new low walls in that photo are enclosing a planted area.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
The low walls and the concession area are the one of the last (northern) sections of the outer ring to be completed. This section of the outer ring will connect the Tomorrowland entrance path and the Tomorrowland/Fantasyland path. The west side outer ring-connecting the Adventureland entrance path to the Liberty Square entrance path, is also in the final phases of construction. Once these last sections are complete, moving around the hub during parades and fireworks will be far more manageable, provided CM's keep the spectators in the inner ring, while the moving non-spectators in the new outer ring.

Sonconato

:cry:
ahh, those were the times, back when the forum hub had those mature oaks; shade and BENCHES!
For what it's worth, my husband took a photo tonight of the hub from nearly the same location that a photo was taken in a book he has titled the Gardens of the Walt Disney World Resort published in 1988. So, due to viewing a 20 minute firework show that can be seen from several areas of the park and watching a 20 minute movie projected on a building, the hub had to be transformed from a Park-like setting to what it is now...was it really worth it? Wouldn't most like to enjoy a Park for the majority of the day?

This was from today:
IMG_2280.JPG

And this, which is much more beautiful IMHO, was from 1988 (sorry about the book seam):

1988.jpg

Oh so sad :(:cry:

OSUgirl77

For what it's worth, my husband took a photo tonight of the hub from nearly the same location that a photo was taken in a book he has titled the Gardens of the Walt Disney World Resort published in 1988. So, due to viewing a 20 minute firework show that can be seen from several areas of the park and watching a 20 minute movie projected on a building, the hub had to be transformed from a Park-like setting to what it is now...was it really worth it? Wouldn't most like to enjoy a Park for the majority of the day?

This was from today:
View attachment 98747

And this, which is much more beautiful IMHO, was from 1988 (sorry about the book seam):

View attachment 98748
That is simply heartbreaking...:(

Red Sox

This was from today:
View attachment 98747

View attachment 98748
WOW. Not worth it at all. Thank you for sharing. Maybe someday in the distant future the hub will be restored to it's glory.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.

This was from today:
View attachment 98747

View attachment 98748
While I agree that your book photo is 100x more lovely than the photo taken today; and I have zero interest in the castle projection show; and I have watched fireworks from everywhere in the park EXCEPT the hub - the truth of the matter is that 1988's hub cannot safely accomodate 2015's crowds. Period.

Sonconato

WOW. Not worth it at all. Thank you for sharing. Maybe someday in the distant future the hub will be restored to it's glory.
Only if they plant some trees and it will take years to get back to this! Right now, they seem to be more like large shrub like plants. Not anything that would become as majestic.

Sonconato

While I agree that your book photo is 100x more lovely than the photo taken today; and I have zero interest in the castle projection show; and I have watched fireworks from everywhere in the park EXCEPT the hub - the truth of the matter is that 1988's hub cannot safely accomodate 2015's crowds. Period.
Agreed...but you can still have the trees! The center of the hub, within the roadway, has nearly the exact same layout. All that is missing is the trees.

Sage of Time

This was from today:
View attachment 98747

View attachment 98748
This makes such an amazing point.

At least Disneyland still has the trees!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom