Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

meyeet

Orlando Parks News posted an update showing what I think are new art renderings that have now been placed on the construction walls:

5eNqDes.jpg

Pthsv4p.jpg
It appears that the tents on stage are going away. I hope this is true and not just left off the rendering.

BernardandBianca

In most cases benches that have been removed have been because they interferred with traffic flow during parades fireworks or times of peak attendance. Many benches are removed from the park and then returned based on park attendance. The higher the park attendance the less benches that will be found.

Like the ones from International Gateway to World Showcase? Yes, those really interfered with traffic flow. And gee, how does Disneyland manage to cope?

ABQ

Like the ones from International Gateway to World Showcase? Yes, those really interfered with traffic flow. And gee, how does Disneyland manage to cope?
The benches along the walk from the International Gateway, up the hill towards the bridge crossing the "English Channel" were brought back. They were taken out and refinished with new lacquer or urethane or whatever they used. There's a good number of them along that route, or was as of last December.

peter11435

As has been pointed out those are currently there. At least they were last time I was there three weeks ago. They do come and go for refurbishment like many other things. Also I know they were recently removed for a special event as well that involved vehicle traffic in that area. Not everything is a reason to flip out.

Monorail_Red_77

The benches along the walk from the International Gateway, up the hill towards the bridge crossing the "English Channel" were brought back. They were taken out and refinished with new lacquer or urethane or whatever they used. There's a good number of them along that route, or was as of last December.

They are still there and shiny new looking as of May 2015.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

As has been pointed out those are currently there. At least they were last time I was there three weeks ago. They do come and go for refurbishment like many other things. Also I know they were recently removed for a special event as well that involved vehicle traffic in that area. Not everything is a reason to flip out.

They are still there and shiny new looking as of May 2015.

All of you must be lying, Disney hates benches and would never spend money on refurbishment on something they where not going to make money on right away. Management would never allow this. Are you sure these are not being used as Disney Vacation Club sales locations? Maybe install meters where you pay to sit down.

ToTBellHop

All of you must be lying, Disney hates benches and would never spend money on refurbishment on something they where not going to make money on right away. Management would never allow this. Are you sure these are not being used as Disney Vacation Club sales locations? Maybe install meters where you pay to sit down.
They are actually DVC benches. 1 pt gets you 15 min.

Victor Kelly

I am all for more seating. BUT, does it have to be in a photo spot? Right in front of the main object for the photo? Gatons statue and fountain, Walts statue. Seriously, was an idiot in charge? Probably a plant from another theme park.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Hate to interrupt the discussion/rants on benches, but I just found this picture from burnsland.com that literally took my breath away.
View attachment 97607
I don't know if this has already been posted somewhere on this thread, but holy cow look at how that park looked in '91.
Unfortunately, if you want that look back, you have to give up the nightly castle show and fireworks. And most people seem to want those to stay. Have you ever seen the stream of people heading into MK just for that reason at night? I have many times. Disney made those shows so popular that people wanted to see them all the time. Remember that back in '91 the evening parade was maybe once a week, the fireworks were not shown every night, and there was no castle show at all. People seem to want these shows every night, and this created an extreme crowd problem, and Disney's answer was to redo the hub to help with the congestion. People will say that if the other parks had more to do at night that it wouldn't be as crowded, and I say that they are wrong. MK will still be packed to the gills during the parade/show/fireworks. Since ROL will be opening later this year, we will have to see if that has any affect on it at all. I personally don't think it will.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Unfortunately, if you want that look back, you have to give up the nightly castle show and fireworks. And most people seem to want those to stay. Have you ever seen the stream of people heading into MK just for that reason at night? I have many times. Disney made those shows so popular that people wanted to see them all the time. Remember that back in '91 the evening parade was maybe once a week, the fireworks were not shown every night, and there was no castle show at all. People seem to want these shows every night, and this created an extreme crowd problem, and Disney's answer was to redo the hub to help with the congestion. People will say that if the other parks had more to do at night that it wouldn't be as crowded, and I say that they are wrong. MK will still be packed to the gills during the parade/show/fireworks. Since ROL will be opening later this year, we will have to see if that has any affect on it at all. I personally don't think it will.

IF ROL is done well it will help, but not drastically. Part of this puzzle is the secondary parks all need a full days worth of attractions before the nighttime entertainment so guests feel like there isn't even a choice to go somewhere else. Guests have to feel like they're missing out by leaving those parks early. Even after all that I think it will help but not solve the situation. More attractions means more WDW guests not simply redistribution of the same #.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
IF ROL is done well it will help, but not drastically. Part of this puzzle is the secondary parks all need a full days worth of attractions before the nighttime entertainment so guests feel like there isn't even a choice to go somewhere else. Guests have to feel like they're missing out by leaving those parks early. Even after all that I think it will help but not solve the situation. More attractions means more WDW guests not simply redistribution of the same #.
And that's my point. Other parks staying open later, or nighttime shows in the other parks will not take away, in any significant number, the people going to see the parade/show/fireworks at MK. I just don't believe it. I will happily admit that I am wrong in the future if it happens, but I just don't see it.

note2001

And that's my point. Other parks staying open later, or nighttime shows in the other parks will not take away, in any significant number, the people going to see the parade/show/fireworks at MK. I just don't believe it. I will happily admit that I am wrong in the future if it happens, but I just don't see it.

Agreed. Only a major event or world wide concern would cause MK attendance to drop at this point.

Speaking as someone who has worked with safety and security, I do see issues with an evacuation plan. If perchance something happened in the MK, the current crowds would make it near impossible to get everyone safely out in under an hour with those nightly shows, even using back and side entry doors. It's best we not think on it, but this is the job of security to think about and I'm sure they're not happy with the crowds. Holidays must be a nightmare from their perspective.

Jon81uk

Imagine how much worse Magic Kingdom would be if Epcot didn't show IllumiNations every night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom