Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I really hope that once the Hub is done, the new colors make their way to Main Steeet. I think it would make the areas seem less separate.

I think they should replace all the original area themeing with generic commercial building facades... It will save on maintenance costs having the whole park in aluminum and glass. Just employ some window cleaners to go around at night.

*1023*

Sage of Time

I think they should replace all the original area themeing with generic commercial building facades... It will save on maintenance costs having the whole park in aluminum and glass. Just employ some window cleaners to go around at night.

*1023*
Are you really comparing the colors of concrete to ripping out original theming?

Monorail_Red_77

Main Street has had consistent replacements as recently as a few months ago, replacing bad sections, to make way for the bypass project, the on going curb replacement project, etc. and it's all been replaced in the red. It's been discussed that the difference in concrete colors (red vs. tan) adds to the changing themed areas, leaving MS-USA and entering hub, then into other lands....

This is correct. They have done nearly all of the town plaza hub (hub by Mainstreet railroad station).

Also, as a side note they have been replacing all of the red concrete in the entrance area. Betweenthe ferry boats, monorail station and entrance tunnels of MK. As they are replacing it, it is all nice and new red cement. The sections being done look great.

The below pic was taken on March 14, 2015. the new red concrete is on the left with the old red concrete on the right. As of may they were still working all around this area. I think the plan is to have all of the red concrete in the entire entrance area replaced so that it does not look like the current patch-work of different reds.

IMG_1953.JPG

willtravel

How do you make concrete soft? Stone is stone. I would think and the varying degrees of "softness" between each type of solid mass would not be noticeable in any measurable way. If they made it with a flexible base it wouldn't hold up so we have to buy soft soled shoes.
I read this on ALLEARS.NET. See below. I also think this was also said on one of the WDW's park info specials.
Now, back to pavement.

Most areas of Disney parks are paved with special cement that is supposedly softer than regular concrete, thus easier on the feet. I know this is hard to believe after a long day of touring, but that's what the Disney folk say.

Goofyernmost

I read this on ALLEARS.NET. See below. I also think this was also said on one of the WDW's park info specials.
Now, back to pavement.

Most areas of Disney parks are paved with special cement that is supposedly softer than regular concrete, thus easier on the feet. I know this is hard to believe after a long day of touring, but that's what the Disney folk say.
Yea, well they deal in fantasy. That's their thing.

Goofyernmost

Whatever. You are the concrete expert.........
No, I'm not, but, life tells me that there is no such thing as spongy concrete that doesn't have to be replaced every few months. And the difference, if there was one, would not be noticeable, the surface would still hold a person firmly on the top with no give.

I'm not saying you are wrong in what you read, I'm saying that the information was a total load of bull in my opinion. A Disney Urban Legend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom