Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

The Visionary Soul

Are they moving the ones that serve popcorn and stuff or getting rid of them? I cant seem to spot them in the video, I kinda like the look of them, I feel like they add to the style and feel of the hub. It would suck to lose all of them, since the swan boat dock will be gone and the other two reskinned.
They're being moved to the outer rings. They even have an area carved out of the planter to serve as a queue.

The Duck

I have to admit that I really like the look of the Hub. I'm hoping that the backstage bypass areas won't be too much of an eyesore but I suppose that most people will whiz right by on their way to the exit and not even notice.

dgp602

Yes....exactly...that's my whole point on why a new thread should be started..the fact that the whole dynamic of what we thought was happening has shifted with this announcement just " a MERE HOURS ago", the original purpose of the thread doesn't do this large refurb justice...

midwest_mice

If you notice there are only larger trees off to the left and right flanks of the new circle, just south of the new FP+ viewing and by the expanded seating areas. This will hopefully make it so those flanks and lower two horizontal paths would become walking paths to exit the park or go out into the rest of the park during fireworks and parades.
As someone who has worked Parade Control before, i can tell you how frustrating it can be trying to keep Main Street paths open at night. Hopefully these trees will assist these cast even in the slightest way.

I did notice the larger trees. And if you've tried watching fireworks from behind the trees by the Plaza Res. right now, it is a bad idea as you won't see much. I've noticed this walking by and people start shuffling around to try looking around the trees when Wishes start.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I wish with all this remodeling of the area that they'd find a better place for all the castle forecourt stage show production support so they could open up the castle breezeway entirely and remove that eyesore of a wall on the east side and expose all the amazing mosaics that haven't been seen by the public in years. You'd think this could be done.

Preface this by saying, I enjoy the Castle shows, they add some much need dynamic energy to the parks.

I hate that Stage. I hate the way they access the stage. I hate it all. It would be wonderful if they could get that breezeway open again.

The Empress Lilly

Well congratulations to the Disney Blogsters to spin extra concrete walkways as extra landscaping. :hungover:

And extra hub seating? The TL plaza and AL Veranda already had hub-side seating. How about you re-open those, instead of closing them and then selling extra space at Casey's and the Plaza as 'outdoor seating expansion'?

Also, the current 'guest driven' 'expansion' means the permanent end to two Hub attractions, whose last remnants will now have been removed. The Arcade and the Swanboats. Ancient history, but it is good to remind ourselves that once the hub had attractions instead of endless concrete standing area and endles eating sitting area.

That all being a done deed, anybody know what will happen to one of the greatest gems of the MK, the serpent?

1685877339_1390778318.jpg

(Aaah...topiaries before they were over the top fakey sculptures with some moss! Trees! Shade! Gardens! Water!)

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Incidentally, what is up with that parasol sprawl? Half the southern hub to be coverd with parasols? The Tomorrowland Plaza Pavilion had themed outside seating coverage. As did the Adventureland veranda, which themed its outside seating area as Tropical Victorian-era verandas.

The MK is becoming parasol central. Extra parasols at Pinocchio. Parasols at BoG. Parasols at the Plaza restaurant. Parasols at Casey's. Whatever happened to themed design? Come on, integrate guest convenience into the design, instead of adding a cheap ugly solution afterwards.

(Yes, golden era WDW got that sometimes wrong too, as witness the make-shift guest coverings at the Mansion and 20k. But why then at long last not learn from those mistakes after forty years?)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Well congratulations to the Disney Blogsters to spin extra concrete walkways as extra landscaping. :hungover:

And extra hub seating? The TL plaza and AL Veranda already had hub-side seating. How about you re-open those, instead of closing them and then selling extra space at Casey's and the Plaza as 'outdoor seating expansion'?

Also, the current 'guest driven' 'expansion' means the permanent end to two Hub attractions, whose last remnants will now have been removed. The Arcade and the Swanboats. Ancient history, but it is good to remind ourselves that once the hub had attractions instead of endless concrete standing area and endles eating sitting area.

That all being a one deed, anybody know what will happen to one of the greatest gems of the MK, the serpent?

1685877339_1390778318.jpg

(Aaah...topiaries before they were over the top fakey sculptures with some moss! Trees! Shade! Gardens! Water!)

I love that serpent. I imagine she is in trouble though.

ABQ

Oh fantastic. Yay!

Sorry, these Hub/MSUSA backalley threads are so large that I couldn't keep up.

Good news.
It was this pic that I believe Lee posted that appears to show the serpent topiary pieces intact on the right side near the bridge. Of course, who knows if someone will just become to lazy to save it and run it all down with a lawn tractor.
topiary-jpg.46891

Crazydisneyfanluke

Could they be reinforcing the bypass to keep the parade running during the refurb? They would have to close part of the southern end of the hub to complete these tasks.

This might be the reason the bypass is taking so long.

PhilharMagician

Woohoo more concrete!

I like the idea of an added bridge from the hub to the new semi-permanent exit next to the Tomorrowland terrace, but did not expect that almost the entire hub will now be paved. I wanted all of the trees to be added back like it once was, not the reverse where they take the remaining trees, grass and flowers.

Looks like they did leave plenty of room for lots of extra carts selling popcorn, ice cream and those irritating lighted whirlygigs (so you can't enjoy the show because someone's un-behaved and un-supervised kid keeps waving in front of your face or smacking you in the back of the head with it)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom