Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Bolt

I'm interested to see how this light beige color holds up to the ungodly amount of people that walk over it daily. The red was way easier to hide dirt and grime on I'm sure. Granted, I think it looks nice in person now (light, airy, new, clean, etc...), so I hope it stays that way over time with traffic and cleaning. White public bathrooms look awesome when new as well...in several years, not so much.
That red was cracked EVERYWHERE in the park, though.

pug

image.jpg
image.jpg
I have lots of pics to upload of the hub with the walls down so I will post them sometime today :) Today I will be at downtown Disney ☺️

Otamin

A bricked floor would be nicer, but I'm just glad the red is gone.

It was starting to look quite a bit dated.

Also I've probably missed it, but is Main Street going to have its concrete replaced as well?

A bricked floor would be nicer, but I'm just glad the red is gone.

It was starting to look quite a bit dated.

Also I've probably missed it, but is Main Street going to have its concrete replaced as well?
Yes, as far as I know the concrete on MSUSA will also be replaced. I think they're actually already doing bits and pieces. I would imagine by the end of it all they'll ultimately replace the planters by Roy and Minnie too, in the interest of consistency.

Clamman73

The amount of added concrete in the area in red would have made it extra toasty hot in the whole hub area I would imagine...They're losing a decent amount of grass area to the second ring around the hub.

roj2323

The amount of added concrete in the area in red would have made it extra toasty hot in the whole hub area I would imagine...They're losing a decent amount of grass area to the second ring around the hub.
But then again the Light color of the new concrete should be cooler than the red concrete was on hot days.

Goofyernmost

Isn't the concrete in MK supposedly some special, softer concrete that is easier on the feet?
How do you make concrete soft? Stone is stone. I would think and the varying degrees of "softness" between each type of solid mass would not be noticeable in any measurable way. If they made it with a flexible base it wouldn't hold up so we have to buy soft soled shoes.

Last edited:

pug

I'm interested to see how this light beige color holds up to the ungodly amount of people that walk over it daily. The red was way easier to hide dirt and grime on I'm sure. Granted, I think it looks nice in person now (light, airy, new, clean, etc...), so I hope it stays that way over time with traffic and cleaning. White public bathrooms look awesome when new as well...in several years, not so much.

Actually, less than 24 hours after opening it up to the public, it was already stained and spotted, but it is camouflaged some now that you can see the gravel texture opposed to the red with its more solid look.

MissingDisney

Yes, as far as I know the concrete on MSUSA will also be replaced. I think they're actually already doing bits and pieces. I would imagine by the end of it all they'll ultimately replace the planters by Roy and Minnie too, in the interest of consistency.

Main Street has had consistent replacements as recently as a few months ago, replacing bad sections, to make way for the bypass project, the on going curb replacement project, etc. and it's all been replaced in the red. It's been discussed that the difference in concrete colors (red vs. tan) adds to the changing themed areas, leaving MS-USA and entering hub, then into other lands....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom