Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

The turrets HAVE to be close too. Something tells me they're waiting to unveil those bad-boys at an upcoming special event, maybe the fourth of July? IDK. Maybe they'll wait until both ramps to the castle have been repaved since they're so close in proximity.

The Rocketeer

The turrets HAVE to be close too. Something tells me they're waiting to unveil those bad-boys at an upcoming special event, maybe the fourth of July? IDK. Maybe they'll wait until both ramps to the castle have been repaved since they're so close in proximity.
They've still got two turrets to install. Shouldn't be too hard though. They installed them overnight the first time.

jrhwdw

Anyone know if the new turrets will have lighting, maybe be in CTM? I'm Hoping they get Castle Dream Lights this year!

When are DAWM's Referb dates again? Any Entertainment changes during that time?

roj2323

Looks like that final pour will occur tonight - no reason to believe otherwise, and once that's cured the walls (around Partners) will come down. Just a guess but I'm betting the walls around this area will be down by the weekend (not sure how quickly this stuff cures). Either way it looks like I'll be able to enjoy the revamped area with the fam at the end of the month into July. Based on how much was done over the last week or so, I'd say they had some extra pixy dust. Now that this area is 99% done, perhaps they can re-allocate those resources to the other projects to help them move along a little quicker as well.
Concrete cure times vary widely depending on the mix and the additives thrown in but the concrete disney uses (it's called "high early") in walkways is typically walkable within 6-8 hours and you can drive on it in 24 although I don't recommend either. Normal 5000 PSI concrete (what most people use in sidewalks and driveways) is safely walkable within 36 hours and you can park a car on it in about seven days. With the amount of rebar Disney added to the stuff however you can probably cut down that seven days to about five.

Concrete cure times vary widely depending on the mix and the additives thrown in but the concrete disney uses (it's called "high early") in walkways is typically walkable within 6-8 hours and you can drive on it in 24 although I don't recommend either. Normal 5000 PSI concrete (what most people use in sidewalks and driveways) is safely walkable within 36 hours and you can park a car on it in about seven days. With the amount of rebar Disney added to the stuff however you can probably cut down that seven days to about five.
Wow, awesome knowledge there, thanks! I would imagine given their business they would need to accelerate the process - hence the type of concrete they use and the rebar used in such shallow areas.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

When I was in the USAF we where replacing an active runway one block at a time. The high early concrete curried so fast that within hours you could land a jet airliner on it. So if they are truly using high early 24 hours concrete, walking on it in 6-8 hours should not be a problem.

Goofyernmost

They've still got two turrets to install. Shouldn't be too hard though. They installed them overnight the first time.
It's not installing them that takes the time. It's the finish work to match everything up and make it look seamless. Also, if you look at the concept pictures there is a lot more to them then just the tower part. But, it should be fairly soon, I would think.

note2001

[ heavysarcasm]

Can't believe that of the millions of people carelessly swinging their selfie sticks around in the magic kingdom on a daily basis, that there has been no one who's bothered to jam their camera up against the scrim to get a shot of what's under the covers of those towers. ;)

[/heavysarcasm]

Last edited:

BernardandBianca

I do not know why, but reading this comment about an unveiling at a special event just made me think how pathetic things are at WDW when we're getting excited about the unveiling of support infrastructure.

sporadic

From people mover today
IMG_20150611_150729.jpg

Ricbr

Does anyone know when the scrim on Main street is supposed to be removed?

Thanks.

I would love to know this as well. I have a planned trip for the first week of August and I am starting to get worried. So far Downtown Disney is a wreck, Hollywood studios has a lot less to do in it now compared to when I visited a few years ago. The Magic Kingdom will have Pirates shutdown when I am there and also the Riverboat. It would be nice for my kids to walk down main street and see the castle without a scrim blocking that magical view.

I do not know why, but reading this comment about an unveiling at a special event just made me think how pathetic things are at WDW when we're getting excited about the unveiling of support infrastructure.
Just look at this entire thread! Disney must be doing something right if they're getting people talking (and debating in some instances) about concrete, fake grass, landscaping, mystery cement structures, and what's behind glorified tarps. Lol. Guilty as charged, you're absolutely right though. Haha

Goofyernmost

Just look at this entire thread! Disney must be doing something right if they're getting people talking (and debating in some instances) about concrete, fake grass, landscaping, mystery cement structures, and what's behind glorified tarps. Lol. Guilty as charged, you're absolutely right though. Haha
Well, it is pretty nicely done so far. That in itself is a huge positive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom