Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Cesar R M

The original title of this post "Moats around Cinderella Castle to be drained for refurbishment starting tomorrow" doesn't seem to fit with the major refurb that will soon be taking place. We now know that it's more than just scrubbing clean the moats, as the title would suggest. Should a new thread discussing the refurb progress and value be started? I mean, I have questions such as the proposed time table for completion, possible disruption of parade routes, etc... Maybe title it something like " Cinderella hub refurb progress"?

Just a thought...
Well, the story was unknow and incomplete when the thread started.
Just UNTIL 2 DAYS AGO .. details tarted to surface about a revamp on the zone.. and now confirmed by the videos by disneyparks on youtube(that were posted a MERE HOURS ago)

It looks as the old Swan Boat Dock is also going....
If they do not use these anymore.. why keep it?

Completion is expected in 2015, but they didn't say when during the year.
Let me guess...sometime spring 2015...o_O

Let's hope they do not take as much as the fantasyland expansion.. where they said "coming soon this year.. no not this one.. the next.. well maybe later.. not done yet.. ARE WE THERE YET?"

it looks good except for the tacky pieces of Castle added. We don't need that! I hope that gets cut in their cheapness.
You're the first that says that.
The utility shacks do not fit in the current state they are. Imho it looks better with the "tacky" castle rooks.

WDWDad13

Is it just me or is Disney starting to do a better job at not leaking these things...at least as early as in previous projects

ABQ

I wish with all this remodeling of the area that they'd find a better place for all the castle forecourt stage show production support so they could open up the castle breezeway entirely and remove that eyesore of a wall on the east side and expose all the amazing mosaics that haven't been seen by the public in years. You'd think this could be done.

SpectroMan93

it actually looks like it'll be better (in the video). Plus TDL towers would ne awesome. Things that make you go hmm...
I've been hoping for years now that we would receive something like Tokyo's castle towers, so this makes me happy (and honestly, a little surprised) that it's kind of happening. I've also been hoping MK's castle gets similar gold trimmings to Tokyo's, but that might be more of a pipe dream.

Stupido

Given how gorgeous the Castle Walls look in New Fantasyland I can't really say I'm too surprised that they're trying to build up the castle a bit. I think it will make it all look a bit more grand, and add a lot of depth to the castle. I must say, if all goes according to plan, this should turn out rather stunning.

TTA94

Well as for a new nighttime show it for sure does not look like fountains will be a part of it based on the new hub design :( bummer. Hopefully a lot of lighting will be used in place of fountains :). I am loving the new castle towers! First thing I thought of was TDL!

Horizons1

IF this area looks anything like the video I think it will be a great improvement. But that's a big IF. TDO does hate trees and grass.

Ignohippo

Oh, I'm not denying the reason they are cleaning up that area is so they can use it as a swift bypass route from the hub to Town Square. That part is very obvious, and if that really is their only goal, then they have succeeded.

What I am really saying though, is that they dropped the ball on this one. They needed more than just a swift exit route after Wishes. They need a permanent arcade open at all times so they can use that as a permanent show ready corridor for guests to move around in during parades, bad weather, and maybe just if they want to stay out of the sun and in AC. And that arcade should have entrances to the shops and things, and have access to Center Street.

It's simply a matter of them building something that was cheaper and more limited in use than what was actually needed.

I absolutely love this post. You said it perfectly and obviously much better than I've been able to.

TriSeb

The changes are evasive but absolutely inline with the idea that the parks will always be changing. In this case, not simply for change itself but to address known issues with an appropriate budget (so it seems). My DFam welcomes it and while we always miss what is lost we know that that is the nature of evolution and time. Sorry downers, although changes aren't permanent, change is.

Matt

Logan and Olivia's dad
Premium Member
Based on the video, this looks great. Hoping they stick as close as possible to the video...

rudyjr13

Forget all the other hot topics and major issues with WDW and TDO.

This project is beyond needed and that video reinforces my initial reaction of this being a win win. It looks great and helps crowd control. Moving the food carts to a less crowded spot great idea. Making the ugly AV buildings look like they belong with the castle great idea. Time will tell but I am 100% on board with this. Reminds me of the drastic addition of the castle walls in FL.

It is funny how we were discussing and bam Blog post. How about that. Hey bloggers, now go fix the rest of the parks!!! You know, Studios and Epcot. Yeti. New monorails. Do it. Now.

wishiwere@wdw

Not sure if this has already been posted. If so delete please. Been too busy with work to keep up with these threads :). Anyway, here is the current progress of the draining....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hobnail Boot

The video makes it look amazingly good. If it turns out that way, I'm definitely on board. One thing I wonder about the FP+ viewing area is if you will be able to reserve a spot there during the NYE fireworks. That would make my NYEs there much more enjoyable.

Mad Stitch

I'm a little concerned with the trees in planters between the two rings. Nobody is gonna want to stand in that outer ring to watch Wishes with the trees blocking the view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom