Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
remember all of those people complaining about how Disney does nothing, doesn't care about the guest experience anymore, and all they want is our money....
That's right...

Wanna talk about the gated FP+ exclusive viewing areas? Or the regular guests on the road and pathways view?

Your $99 will help pay for it!

Or we could just talk about Everest and Space Mountain or Epcot and DHS...

:D

The Visionary Soul

Would reinforcing it make it better suited for emergency vehicles? Currently they must travel down Main Street -perhaps they would like to avoid that?
Emergency vehicles can already easily travel from that gate. No reinforcing necessary. Reinforcing is only necessary for heavy daily vehicle use... emergency vehicles won't qualify. Things like the double decker bus and parade floats would.

GrumpyFan

Not sure if anybody else noticed or mentioned, but it looks like these changes will give a new facade to the two utility buildings to the left and right of the castle in front. They will now match the castle's appearance. They look odd in the video/pic above, I wonder how they'll look when completed. The way they look currently, they almost disappear/blend into the greenery. On a second look, it appears that they might be moving too?

XXJgNbS.jpg

Last edited:

SpectroMan93

That's right...

Wanna talk about the gated FP+ exclusive viewing areas? Or the regular guests on the road and pathways view?

Agreed. As nice as this looks, it doesn't change the fact that Disney is a revenue-driven business, and it definitely doesn't change the state of affairs of the other parks.

The Visionary Soul

Not sure if anybody else noticed or mentioned, but it looks like these changes will give a new facade to the two utility buildings to the left and right of the castle in front. They will now match the castle's appearance. They look odd in the video/pic above, I wonder how they'll look when completed. The way they look currently, they almost disappear/blend into the greenery. On a second look, it appears that they might be moving too?
They are refurbishing the ones on either side of the castle and moving the two that normally serve popcorn and things.

kap91

That's right...

Well considering FP+ is available to everyone, and that these new areas make it so that FP+ people don't take up the prime locations that have always been available in the actual hub, and in the process make the hub a lot more attractive than it currently is (additionally removing the dock for a ride that has been closed for the majority of the park's history and what looks to be remodeling the tech of the forecourt stage) - that there'll be more space for everyone and doesn't seemingly result in any benefit to Disney other than more satisfied guests I would say in this case it appears to be a case of guest experience over profit.

The Visionary Soul

Well considering FP+ is available to everyone, and that these new areas make it so that FP+ people don't take up the prime locations that have always been available in the actual hub, and in the process make the hub a lot more attractive than it currently is (additionally removing the dock for a ride that has been closed for the majority of the park's history and what looks to be remodeling the tech of the forecourt stage) - that there'll be more space for everyone and doesn't seemingly result in any benefit to Disney other than more satisfied guests I would say in this case it appears to be a case of guest experience over profit.
I actually agree with this... those new viewing areas used to be water.

WDWDad13

That's right...

sure... they added FP+ viewing areas... in addition to A TON more space for others as well. FP+ (right now) is free to everyone so....

I'm not paying $99 per day ...I hope you're not

We can talk about the others all you want... DHS and Epcot are next in line... we'll get there... Avatarland and Disney Springs are currently underway

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
sure... they added FP+ viewing areas... in addition to A TON more space for others as well. FP+ (right now) is free to everyone so....

I'm not paying $99 per day ...I hope you're not

We can talk about the others all you want... DHS and Epcot are next in line... we'll get there... Avatarland and Disney Springs are currently underway

I most certainly am not ;)

What's confirmed as coming to Epcot? I'd love to know. Same for DHS. Or did something else swallow all the money? Is there a point in discussing them when the huge problems are common knowledge?

This project is as much a safety driven project as anything else.

GrumpyFan

Watching the video a couple more times looking for more detail, I couldn't help but think in a Roller Coaster Tycoon mentality, that they need some park benches and trash cans! Makes me wonder how quickly they threw this together after the pics from here made it to the social media sites. Somebody in marketing had to come up with this real quick in order to put something "official" out.

P.S. I know this is just a mockup, and in reality it will include trash cans, vending carts, and a LOT more people. Maybe even a park bench or two as well.

JerseyDad

......kinda' glad I got to see WDW between 2004 and 2013 .....before the powers that be ....took a huge steaming dump on it.

.....is there a 1:1 replacement of green-space with pavement for this project? The more pavement ...the more radiant heating / residual heat generated at days end? I'm guessin' that 'mature trees' are out of the question ...because that will block the views for those precious "prime viewing areas' that will be accessed with added FP+ (which I still insist will cost $$ in the near future).

midwest_mice

XXJgNbS.jpg
I did see that. Those are used for spotlights for the Castle stage show, I wondered what would happen to them.

GrumpyFan

I did see that. Those are used for spotlights for the Castle stage show, I wondered what would happen to them.

I think one is a lighting/show control booth, and the other might be a sound/tech booth. I seem to remember seeing tech guys in at least one of them. The cool part is they are on a hydraulic lift which is elevated for the shows.

roj2323

.....is there a 1:1 replacement of green-space with pavement for this project? The more pavement ...the more radiant heating / residual heat generated at days end? I'm guessin' that 'mature trees' are out of the question ...because that will block the views for those precious "prime viewing areas' that will be accessed with added FP+ (which I still insist will cost $$ in the near future).

The issue with the trees is not views but rather the projectors they use for wishes and other events. I am sure they will plant trees wherever they can. I say have faith and hold judgment until the project is complete.

COProgressFan

......kinda' glad I got to see WDW between 2004 and 2013 .....before the powers that be ....took a huge steaming dump on it.

If you long for the 2004-2013, man you would have LOVED the 1970s, 80's and 90's at the Magic Kingdom!:) Really!

That said, while I lament the loss of large, mature trees, and don't particularly like more pavement, the fact is the hub can be downright dangerous most nights.

If the actual final product includes the level of landscaping as shown in the concept video, it makes this project successful in my eyes.

JerseyDad

....wonder if TDO will try and make an added buck off of this? They could allow people to buy a paver brick that will be placed in the new walkway areas. For a nominal charge ...they will allow an inscription on the paver ...just like at the entrance to MK.

....if that happens ....I'll buy a dozen bricks ...all inscribed with "This sux ...that's right ...it sux"!!

JerseyDad

The issue with the trees is not views but rather the projectors they use for wishes and other events. I am sure they will plant trees wherever they can. I say have faith and hold judgment until the project is complete.

....faith? I do have some ...I guess ....because of 12 years of Catholic School.

....but ...after what I've seen from Disney over only the past 3 years ....having faith in them would be like believing that the Great Pumpkin will actually appear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom