Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

SnarkyMonkey

I would disagree, to an extent. Disney uses the boards as unofficial feedback. By that I mean instead of using those people from "Research" that nab you and get your email for a survey. Think about it, feedback no matter how it is attained is useful. In a project such as this they make plans, do artist renderings, come up with site plans, etc. Now say a lot of people are up in arms about the destruction of the vegetation, they may take that into consideration and revise the plans.

1. Go back and look at the original plans. They included lots of vegetation. Nothing has been revised.

2. How do you know that Disney gets their feedback from fan boards? Yes, feedback from the general public is helpful. Feedback from a very small percentage of guests with a very specific viewpoint and interests is not so helpful.

SnarkyMonkey

Snarky, are you an insider? You remain adamant nothing has been revised. Truly, none of us know for certain unless we're on payroll, assigned to this project, true?

No. Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that the drawings that they released some time ago showed plenty of greenery. It was always supposed to be there. It isn't a new addition. I'm not sure where that is coming from.

Victor Kelly

1. Go back and look at the original plans. They included lots of vegetation. Nothing has been revised.

2. How do you know that Disney gets their feedback from fan boards? Yes, feedback from the general public is helpful. Feedback from a very small percentage of guests with a very specific viewpoint and interests is not so helpful.

Then we agree to disagree then.

note2001

I'm not trying to get in on an argument, but I will say Snarky is right, the plans that were first released did show trees. The animation was a bit sketchy though and so IRL trees will always look better. (** There was someone in this thread hundreds of pages back ... I'm not about to fish them out... who claimed to have knowledge that Disney cut the trees out of the plan. That is what prompted many to speculate that indeed there would be no new trees in the hub. That person never backed up where their info came from.)

Did they revise the plans as they progressed? My bet is yes. All good companies will constantly review plans, costs, labor and timing and make adjustments. Most of which we won't notice.

Did they make adjustments according to what they've read on boards all over the web? Chances are slim to none that they made changes in response to our noise factor. Disney had a plan, and once a plan is in place it is rare for outsiders to have an effect on the outcome. In a few select cases the consumers will look at the product and balk at it so loudly the company has to take notice (re: Gap company logo), but in general Disney sticks to the plan. Case in point: the Poly lobby fountain. It didn't matter how loud the internet screamed in pain, they stuck to their plan. If Disney did make changes in response to reaction, they would have at the very least designed a more impressive fountain to replace the lush rainforest that was once there.** Note, the fountain is still incomplete, so there is still a chance it'll be improved upon from the first designs released, however that is a very, very slim chance.

Last edited:

SnarkyMonkey

I'm not trying to get in on an argument, but I will say Snarky is right, the plans that were first released did show trees. The animation was a bit sketchy though and so IRL trees will always look better. (** There was someone in this thread hundreds of pages back ... I'm not about to fish them out... who claimed to have knowledge that Disney cut the trees out of the plan. That is what prompted many to speculate that indeed there would be no new trees in the hub. That person never backed up where their info came from.)

Thank you. That is what I was trying to say and you said it a lot better. I appreciate it.

flyerjab

Did they revise the plans as they progressed? My bet is yes. All good companies will constantly review plans, costs, labor and timing and make adjustments. Most of which we won't notice.

Did they make adjustments according to what they've read on boards all over the web? Chances are slim to none that they made changes in response to our noise factor. Disney had a plan, and once a plan is in place it is rare for outsiders to have an effect on the outcome. In a few select cases the consumers will look at the product and balk at it so loudly the company has to take notice (re: Gap company logo), but in general Disney sticks to the plan. Case in point: the Poly lobby fountain. It didn't matter how loud the internet screamed in pain, they stuck to their plan. If Disney did make changes in response to reaction, they would have at the very least designed a more impressive fountain to replace the lush rainforest that was once there.** Note, the fountain is still incomplete, so there is still a chance it'll be improved upon from the first designs released, however that is a very, very slim chance.

I also remember that claim being made. I know that the amount of trees does not equal the density of trees in a forest or NY Central Park - but clearly - there are trees. And more will be coming soon.

lazyboy97o

Even if lots of new trees are planted now does not guarantee they will survive once the Central Plaza is again completely in the hands of Operations.

Horizons1

I would disagree, to an extent. Disney uses the boards as unofficial feedback. By that I mean instead of using those people from "Research" that nab you and get your email for a survey. Think about it, feedback no matter how it is attained is useful. In a project such as this they make plans, do artist renderings, come up with site plans, etc. Now say a lot of people are up in arms about the destruction of the vegetation, they may take that into consideration and revise the plans.

Yes, they look for leaks. But even the leaks can be sanctioned by Disney, making them not really leaks but more tidbits of information they want known to generate interest and/ or feedback.

Simply saying Disney does not care about what we think or say is nonsense. This is feedback that they do not have to actively seek aside from browsing the internet. Are people such pixie dust inhalers that they think that Disney or any other corporation does not have people active on websites that discuss their product? That the company is perfect the way it is? Do you believe they invested billions in the last 7 years on a whim? No, they did research, they ghost wrote stealthy conversations online. They got feedback. Which is why they are going to spend billions more in updates and improvements. While the public may not always hold sway in the biggest decisions, they do hold sway on what they want. And if the public does not get what they want, they vote with their wallet. Examples as much as I hate to admit it.....Starbucks, people wanted it. More space for viewing of Wishes.....people wanted it. Princess meet and greets.....people wanted it. Wishes and Meet and Greets do not make direct money, but they draw in crowds which buy food, memory maker sales and merchandise.

How did Disney know? Research, at the parks, through surveys, and online discussion forums such as this.

I will give you an example, as a 30 year paintball player, I am active on many forums. Players write about their gear and the tournaments and the games they play all the time. The companies monitor these sites, they listen to their customers, they make changes, they make improvements. The result is happy customers, changes in gear, games, tournament formats, etc. Which in turn generates sales which generate profit. For me as a part time game producer, I have to listen to my customers, make changes, fix problems, show that I do care a lot about their needs and wants then adjust how I do things despite what I may think is a good idea. If I do not, people don't come, the field does not make money and I am out of business. While what I do is a lot of face to face, I have to get on Facebook and discussion forums nightly and read......a lot. And not just for my area, but across the country and even some international game producers and field sites. Keep the customer happy, get repeat customers and turn a profit, and then you will get more players, turn a higher profit.

Mmk. But really, they don't use boards like this for feedback. Only for leaks.

Monorail Mike

Maybe this has been mentioned somewhere, but do you guys see the "strips" of the new color concrete in the red hub area? When was this done? Did they get a head start on the inside? It looks like they did this a while ago, as it lines up with the path openings...

Yes, it looks like there's also a big chunk north of the rose gardens that was done too. When completed, it will match the color of the concrete in front of the crystal palace/baby care center as well as the entrance to Tomorrowland. I also like how the new path on the east side "bridge" lines up exactly with the main street bypass.

erwinalber4

can someone link a pic of the railing? I haven't seen it yet... :)
You're so lucky I was there on Friday. Here you go!
20150213_085339.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom