News Main Street Electrical Parade and A Christmas Fantasy Parade to return

brb1006

"On April 22, 2022, the “Main Street Electrical Parade” and “Disneyland Forever” fireworks spectacular will return to Disneyland park, and “World of Color” will return to Disney California Adventure park."

Upon its return to Disneyland park, the “Main Street Electrical Parade” will be celebrating its 50thanniversary. In honor of this milestone, the Disney Live Entertainment team will introduce exciting new elements to the “Main Street Electrical Parade” that will continue to evolve this beloved spectacular.

Over the past five decades, the “Main Street Electrical Parade” has brought families together to delight in its many whimsical stories and featured characters. And soon, that will continue for a whole new generation of dreamers. In honor of the parade’s 50th anniversary, this nighttime spectacular will return with an all-new, enchanted grand finale that celebrates the theme of togetherness.

This universal theme is reflected in the creative concept of the grand finale sequence. Inspired by both the original design of classic “Main Street Electrical Parade” floats and Disney Legend Mary Blair’s iconic art style on “it’s a small world,” the new grand finale brings to life more than a dozen Disney Animation and Pixar stories. These stories will be interpreted in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sound, with unique representations of beloved characters as animated dolls.

"As the new grand finale passes by, guests along each side of the parade route will see a different set of stylized scenes from classic and contemporary favorite stories such as “Encanto,” “The Jungle Book,” “Raya and the Last Dragon,” “Aladdin,” “Coco,” “Mulan,” “Brave,” “The Princess and the Frog” and more. Check out one of the early pieces of concept art, featuring Mirabel and Antonio from Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Academy Award-nominated film, “Encanto.”

View attachment 623184

Sounds like a modern version of the Neon Finale from mid to late 1970s.
4572126129_c9fd5ec50d.jpg

4572126661_171fe68f18_b.jpg
4572127077_09abc1228a.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Mixed with the It's A Small World floats
SmallWorldMSEP.jpg

Update: Nevermind it appears to reskin of the America float.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 35
  • ItsASmallWorld.jpg
    ItsASmallWorld.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 51
  • SmallWorldMSEP.jpg
    SmallWorldMSEP.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

brb1006

OMG, I LOVE MSEP, but the last time I saw it, I really thought the Patriotic bit looked bad. All things related to that aside, it made zero sense in 2019. When it debuted in '76, sure! The costumes and the dance-marching just felt like bad Vegas. And I mean BAD Vegas.

Americans cannot fathom that other people do not stan themselves the way America does, it is so embarrassing.
Plus that float debuted as a way to honor America's Bicentennial between 1976 till 1977/

Animaniac93-98

OMG, I LOVE MSEP, but the last time I saw it, I really thought the Patriotic bit looked bad. All things related to that aside, it made zero sense in 2019. When it debuted in '76, sure! The costumes and the dance-marching just felt like bad Vegas. And I mean BAD Vegas.

Americans cannot fathom that other people do not stan themselves the way America does, it is so embarrassing.

It was more than a bit cheesy to still be celebrating America's Bicentennial 40 years after it happened...

...BUT this is Disneyland USA. It would never work at Tokyo Disneyland or Disneyland Paris, but at Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom that kind of unironic 4th of July-type display of Americana is entirely appropriate IMO. This is the same park with multiple lands and attractions based on American history. Abraham Lincoln is one of the first things you see when you enter the park. As a non-American, it does not mean the same thing to me, but I never thought that Disney's long-standing tradition of patriotic attractions in their own American parks was uncalled for.

This redressed float may ostensibly be about "inclusion", but it looks more like an attempt to cram as many post-1990 Disney IPs into a parade where the most recent release represented for the last few decades was...Pete's Dragon (and honestly, I loved that aspect of it).

If this parade must be brought back again (and again...and again...and again...), it should be a shameless excuse for nostalgia, and that includes a 1970s era Disney display of all things vaguely American.

Dear Prudence

B
Not a “Paint with all the Colors of the Wind” fan?
Not a "turn the story of human trafficking a literal child into a love story that purposely transforms the child in question into a male-fantasy adult for some fallacy of a both sides argument" fan. Also not a fan of trivializing Native religion to suit some weird "environmental" message. Hard pass. No thanks. 🤢

Dear Prudence

It was more than a bit cheesy to still be celebrating America's Bicentennial 40 years after it happened...

...BUT this is Disneyland USA. It would never work at Tokyo Disneyland or Disneyland Paris, but at Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom that kind of unironic 4th of July-type display of Americana is entirely appropriate IMO. This is the same park with multiple lands and attractions based on American history. Abraham Lincoln is one of the first things you see when you enter the park. As a non-American, it does not mean the same thing to me, but I never thought that Disney's long-standing tradition of patriotic attractions in their own American parks was uncalled for.

This redressed float may ostensibly be about "inclusion", but it looks more like an attempt to cram as many post-1990 Disney IPs into a parade where the most recent release represented for the last few decades was...Pete's Dragon (and honestly, I loved that aspect of it).

If this parade must be brought back again (and again...and again...and again...), it should be a shameless excuse for nostalgia, and that includes a 1970s era Disney display of all things vaguely American.
The last time I saw it, Pete was played by a male actor, and I was like WHAT THE HECK IS THIS. That being said, that can stay in the parade forever

Californian Elitist

B
Not a "turn the story of human trafficking a literal child into a love story that purposely transforms the child in question into a male-fantasy adult for some fallacy of a both sides argument" fan. Also not a fan of trivializing Native religion to suit some weird "environmental" message. Hard pass. No thanks. 🤢
I liked Pocahontas as a kid, but as an adult, it’s definitely cringe-worthy.

Dear Prudence

I liked Pocahontas as a kid, but as an adult, it’s definitely cringe-worthy.
I think her as a character is great, I just wish that it wasn't about....what it is. I am honestly surprised I was allowed to watch it, since most other Native kids my age were not. 😬

I just don't get, with their "inclusion" hokey hype train, why they would keep trying to make the Pocahontas fetch happen.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Given that the America segment always looked like a giant strip of bacon I just assumed it was a an ode to America’s love of consuming pork byproducts. Missed opportunity to have a muppet led float with Sam Eagle.

Also an interesting the two remaining remnants of the ‘76-77 bicentennial- the America Sings/Splash AAs and the bacon flag float are perhaps finally fading away together.

Still refreshing to see TDA put on a nice little 50th anniversary…. for a parade. Looks like a nice mix of entertainment for the summer. All that’s missing is KiteTails.

el_super

The only purpose this parade serves is for nostalgia, and if they take that away (and they've already taken away a lot of it), then there should be no point in having it.

They need to just accept that Paint the Night was a huge Light Magic-esque failure and move on to design a new light parade, or give up on the idea entirely.

Animaniac93-98

I’m in the camp that doesn’t believe MSEP needs 70s-era Americana imagery/aesthetics to survive.

I don't think it should be surviving at all.

But it feels strange to me to bring it back, but change around 20% of it. That's not really enough for it to be "new", but at the same time changes it to the point where it's not the same parade it once was, which undermines the nostalgia of it.

Either keep it the same, or make an all new version like Dreamlights.

Mickeyboof

The only purpose this parade serves is for nostalgia, and if they take that away (and they've already taken away a lot of it), then there should be no point in having it.

They need to just accept that Paint the Night was a huge Light Magic-esque failure and move on to design a new light parade, or give up on the idea entirely.

Paint the Night was a failure? It’s adored and is constantly in demand! It packed the streets!

Californian Elitist

I don't think it should be surviving at all.

But it feels strange to me to bring it back, but change around 20% of it. That's not really enough for it to be "new", but at the same time changes it to the point where it's not the same parade it once was, which undermines the nostalgia of it.

Either keep it the same, or make an all new version like Dreamlights.
I understand where you’re coming from. However, given that we’re celebrating 50 years of this parade, I think it’s appropriate to make a change here and there. It’s a commemoration. I don’t think the entire parade needs to change for this occasion. Maybe if these changes were for nothing in particular, I’d feel differently.

Why is MSEP being held to nostalgia standards? What about the rest of the park?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom