Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

ParentsOf4

I just thought I'd post this for anyone who wants to make the "I don't see you complaining about Coca-Cola being on Main St. USA"... <all in good fun>

Ice Cream Parlor from 1903
fig119.jpg
I grew up near a drug store that had a soda jerk counter that looked very much like that counter. And it wasn't in 1903.:)

Sadly, they tore it down to build a 7/11 which was torn down to build, I kid you not, a Starbuck's.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That would no longer work because no one wants a job description that has the word "jerk" in it. :eek: That title is usually earned!;)

I dunno. I think I'd sortof enjoy being a "Soda Jerk".

Kid - "Sir, may I please have an Ice Cream?"
Me - <rolls eyes> "Yeesh, fine...what flavour?"
<kid stares at all the flavours available>
Me - "Hurry up kid, I ain't got all day!"
Kid - "I'm sorry, I just can't decide."
Me - "Fine, you'll get Chocolate."
Kid - "But I don't like chocolate."
Me - "Tough kid. You snooze, you lose!"
<chuckles and does a high five with my fellow Soda Jerk working the counter with me for my cleverness>

The Empress Lilly

The choice was never between 'Bakery with Nescafé syrup' or 'A Starbucks'. The choice was between 'Licensing a Starbucks' or 'A Killer Original Disney Design'.

Here is such a killer concept. A coffee house/bakery with an original Disney theme. @Eddie Sotto took inspiration from San Francisco for the Cable Car Bake Shop in Disneyland Paris:

Lots of seating. Compartimentalisation gives impression of small scale.
5513545935_f3876171d8_z.jpg

Intimate spaces, alcoves.
img3298vz.jpg

Beaucoup de om-nom-nom!
3374467447_d519d1d221_z.jpg

Quality work. Quality materials and designs. A unique, one-of-a-kind, original work of art.
inside-1.jpg

The Empress Lilly

DLP. A gorgeous period-specific hanging lamp. Wooden sign, period font, hung at the edge of the porch. Period-specific door lites above the entry. Good, classic Disney design.

7875055910_6aa61ebf08_o.jpg

MK. A gorgeous period-specific hanging lamp. Wooden sign, period font, hung at the edge of the porch. Period-specific door lites above the entry. Good, classic Disney design.
Bakery+ent.JPG

Modern lamps, ugly. Modern brass sign, that's just a corporate logo, with wrong font, misplaced directly above entrance instead of at entrance to porch. Tiles above door removed to replace Bakery sign there, so as to keep the windows clear for more Starbucks logos.
962060_711411903848_1812683651_n.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Building off the last two posts illustrating design differences...

Note the one at Disney California Adventure. Can you spot the Starbucks logo outside?

Starbucks-Disney-California-Adventure.jpg

No? That's because they went with a subtle, themed customization that works with the surroundings.

What about inside?

P6103166.jpg

Now, lets look at MK's "new" starbucks.

Main-Street-Bakery-2-600x395.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The future of Disney Parks...

iPhone for MyDisneyExperience and FP+ booking, Ipad in satchel for taking pictures and listening to music (instead of the wonderful area theme music), and sipping on a Starbucks.

Hipster-Mickey.jpg

nytimez

Those photos really do tell the story, don't they? What's interesting about this is that in all three cases they knew going in that it didn't really matter if they put maximum effort into the theming or minimum - being a Starbucks in a busy theme park, it will almost certainly print its own money regardless.

Yet in two cases, they went with maximum effort anyway.

I've never been to DLP - but that Cable Car Cafe is stunningly beautiful. Excellent work, @Eddie Sotto.

StarWarsGirl

The future of Disney Parks...

iPhone for MyDisneyExperience and FP+ booking, Ipad in satchel for taking pictures and listening to music (instead of the wonderful area theme music), and sipping on a Starbucks.

Hipster-Mickey.jpg

I admittedly do the iPod thing. I walk quicker from BCV or BWV to DHS that way. As soon as I get to the park, the music goes off. A lot of times, I'll unplug the headphones and, since it's an iTouch, my whole group can listen and walk to the beat of Aerosmith (because really, what better way to get us in the mood?) I also use the iTouch or the Android for My Disney Experience and have since the Mobile Magic Days. Quite frequently, the boards with the wait times are wrong, and I don't enjoy running around to multiple rides to decide which line is shortest or where to get FPs first.

PhotoDave219

Those photos really do tell the story, don't they? What's interesting about this is that in all three cases the knew going in that it didn't really matter if they put maximum effort into the theming or minimum - being a Starbucks in a busy theme park, it will almost certainly print its own money regardless.

Yet in two cases, they went with maximum effort anyway.

I've never been to DLP - but that Cable Car Cafe is stunningly beautiful. Excellent work, @Eddie Sotto.

There will be more photos tomorrow on DFB and a more indepth review of the place.

PhotoDave219

I admittedly do the iPod thing. I walk quicker from BCV or BWV to DHS that way. As soon as I get to the park, the music goes off. A lot of times, I'll unplug the headphones and, since it's an iTouch, my whole group can listen and walk to the beat of Aerosmith (because really, what better way to get us in the mood?) I also use the iTouch or the Android for My Disney Experience and have since the Mobile Magic Days. Quite frequently, the boards with the wait times are wrong, and I don't enjoy running around to multiple rides to decide which line is shortest or where to get FPs first.

I was walking from TTC to Poly one day and there was this group of girls playing their music loudly on an iPod/iPhone. I might have broken into song and dance to the rather bad music. The group of young ladies appeared rather horrified... I supposed they could have avoided it had they kept their music to themselves.

StarWarsGirl

I was walking from TTC to Poly one day and there was this group of girls playing their music loudly on an iPod/iPhone. I might have broken into song and dance to the rather bad music. The group of young ladies appeared rather horrified... I supposed they could have avoided it had they kept their music to themselves.

From the point of view of a young female, they were probably thinking you were a total weirdo, or similar thoughts with some not nice words.

You cannot tell me Aerosmith is bad! If you think that, you better be prepared to hear it much louder, lol. Like I said, I do this walking to DHS. You can't hear my iPod from that far away, and there are next to no people besides us. Just random joggers. Also listening to music.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
From the point of view of a young female, they were probably thinking you were a total weirdo, or similar thoughts with some not nice words.

The average life-span is 79. 18 is approx 23% of that total lifespan. Forgive us old farts if we think young people are the ones who are weird and rude.

As you've been told your whole life, and will be told again, you'll understand when you are older. We've all been there. Your path and experiences are most likely not unique to you. You think they are, as they are new to you now, and will dismiss this post as a ramble, which it partially is...but in 15 years, you'll see I was correct.

You aren't as special as you think you are. And there are a great many life-traps that you say you won't do now, looking forward, that you most likely will.

Cosmic Commando

The average life-span is 79. 18 is approx 23% of that total lifespan. Forgive us old farts if we think young people are the ones who are weird and rude.

As you've been told your whole life, and will be told again, you'll understand when you are older. We've all been there. Your path and experiences are most likely not unique to you. You think they are, as they are new to you now, and will dismiss this post as a ramble, which it partially is...but in 15 years, you'll see I was correct.

You aren't as special as you think you are. And there are a great many life-traps that you say you won't do now, looking forward, that you most likely will.

Since the Paleo diet and the Continuum Concept are so popular now, maybe these girls take the historical view: for most of history, life expectancy was less than 40. In their mind, they should be the respected elders and older folks are just overstaying their welcome. :p

Doom Buggy

Back to bakery business... I am goin to miss the hot ham egg and cheese croissants. People rave about the cinnamon roles (which have a new home at gastons tavern). But these ham egg and cheese croissants were a cheap and sturdy breakfast. Will wait to see if they pop up elsewhere in the park.

StarWarsGirl

Forgive us old farts if we think young people are the ones who are weird and rude.
I sometimes have problems with older ones being rude. I was at a baseball game and the bag check person treated me so poorly, told me I was "giving her a hard time" (yeah, like I don't know how to do a bag check). She did not give my father a hard time, but was nasty to me from the moment I stepped up. Just because SOME young people are that way doesn't mean ALL young people are that way. I do my best to be as polite as I can until you give me a reason otherwise. I even thought through how to say this post. You did misinterpret my original post. I meant to say they were thinking that the adult was weird because probably a few years ago, I would have thought the same thing. Besides, I'm sure adults when you all were young thought the exact same thing about you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom