Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

nytimez

Aye! But...just a dozen? :)

Me, I'd first restore Main Street West, with the flower market. What a travesty that they removed that!

However, the constant Walmartisation of MS has made me more intolerant of decline, instead of more. I really do not understand the argument in this thread that because so much of MS has declined, we should therefore give up and surrender.

Oh, it's not a surrender. I guess I just don't see this as a sign of decline. There have always been brands and sponsors that have come and gone on Main Street and throughout the MK and some have been on the signs.

In addition, the coffee in the bakery was lousy, and to be honest the bakery itself was charmless and ugly inside and only the cinnamon bun was really worth the stop.

I see this is a neutral rather than a decline, with a sight chance that this could turn out to be a net positive.

(I say this as someone who doesn't like Starbucks. But I'd take fresh Starbucks over a cup of hot goo from a dirty old Nescafe machine any day.)

The Empress Lilly

Oh, it's not a surrender. I guess I just don't see this as a sign of decline. There have always been brands and sponsors that have come and gone on Main Street and throughout the MK and some have been on the signs.
hush hush...next you'll tell me that on my beloved classic MS West too there was a Hallmark card store, every bit as intrusive as a Starbucks...;)

Florida_is_hot

I do not hate Starbucks, but most people are smart enough not to spend $5 for a cup of coffee.
The people that do spend $5 for a cup of coffee think we hate Starbucks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I do not hate Starbucks, but most people are smart enough not to spend $5 for a cup of coffee.
The people that do spend $5 for a cup of coffee think we hate Starbucks.

We've been down this road already, but the Starbucks prices at DCA are in line with the non-Starbucks locations.
12 OZ Nescafe Coffee at Cozy Cones $2.79 http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/men_conesb.htm
12 OZ Starbucks Coffee at Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe $2.69 http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/men_ffp.htm

Prince-1

I have no issues with the sign at all. Small and simple. Majority of people walking down Main Street aren't going to care at all if a small Starbucks sign is taking away from that small town feel. What they want is a good (and yes this is subjective) cup of coffee. Branding has been part of Disney history since Walt was alive so no reason for it to change now.

G00fyDad

I have no issues with the sign at all. Small and simple. Majority of people walking down Main Street aren't going to care at all if a small Starbucks sign is taking away from that small town feel. What they want is a good (and yes this is subjective) cup of coffee. Branding has been part of Disney history since Walt was alive so no reason for it to change now.

I was one of the original few that freaked out about this Starbucks, though for other reasons than just the signage. I cannot stand Starbucks, or the hipster movement. I realize that makes me sound like a crabby old "get off my lawn and get a haircut" old man. LOL I did think that the Starbucks signage would be too obtrusive into the "Mainstreet" theme. However, after seeing this sign I must admit that I was wrong. It is nicely done and not so "in your face" as I thought it would be.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I was one of the original few that freaked out about this Starbucks, though for other reasons than just the signage. I cannot stand Starbucks, or the hipster movement. I realize that makes me sound like a crabby old "get off my lawn and get a haircut" old man. LOL I did think that the Starbucks signage would be too obtrusive into the "Mainstreet" theme. However, after seeing this sign I must admit that I was wrong. It is nicely done and not so "in your face" as I thought it would be.

Agreed. The sign is barely noticeable. I'm not the biggest fan of Starbucks coffee itself, but its an upgrade over what was there. If you want a really good cup of coffee on property the Kona coffee at Poly is the way to go.

Next Big Thing

A licensed Starbucks store, I think. But I haven't ssen the contract, nor do I really understand the franchise/licnese/ownership model.

More important is the actual guest perception. Does this feel as a period MS store that, for convenience's sake, happens to sell a known brand of coffee? Or is this a Starbucks location with some disguises so as to not make it stick out like a sore thumb?

To me, the ugly brass sign that advertises that this is a Starbucks location pulls this locale firmly in the direction of the latter.
DCA's Starbucks has a "brass sign advertising that this is a starbucks location" too. The only difference is it doesn't have the logo.

oh, And DCA's is fairly in your face at eye-level. This is above guests heads and very easy to miss. I walked by it at least 2-3 times today without noticing anything before reading about it on twitter.

mm52200

I'm the most upset about them removing the seating from the bakery, I thought this would have been the perfect chance to expand it. People look for those tables like crazy, and what are people suppose to do with their breakfast or other items? We use to use the bakery as a place to sit down and relax for a little bit.

RSoxNo1

I have noticed that each time Disney mention the baked goods coming to the bakery, they never actually mention the cinnamon rolls. My guess would be it is still being determined.
The question was asked on the Disney Parks Blog when the announcement original came out. They didn't say that they wouldn't be returning, but they did say they were available at Gaston's Tavern.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm the most upset about them removing the seating from the bakery, I thought this would have been the perfect chance to expand it. People look for those tables like crazy, and what are people suppose to do with their breakfast or other items? We use to use the bakery as a place to sit down and relax for a little bit.

This is a good point. I can't understand why they seem to want to remove places to sit at MK. It's the one park that needs more seating. It seemed like they made an effort to incorporate some shade and seating areas with FLE and the Tangled toilets, but this is a step in the wrong direction.

RSoxNo1

The question is, what will be printed on the Napkins?
starbucks_napkins.jpg

RSoxNo1

I was surprised the other day at U's park (there on a field trip and it made me love Disney more) had a Starbucks in it. I am really surprised Disney is doing it even more since it is already in U.
Universal also serves Coke products, not everything has to be exclusive between the two locations. I'm guessing they have many identical suppliers.

RSoxNo1

Well said! That is just one more tragic aspect of this all: the UNI-fication of WDW.

Starbucks feels more appropriate for UNI, not for Disney. Whatever happened to the fabled 'Disney difference'?

I like UNI, but it can't hold a candle to WDW when WDW gets it right. WDW simply does theme and immersion better. This thread for me is about one of those tiny, almost hidden, ways why.
So you'd prefer they have crappy coffee?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom