Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

Lee

Adventurer
THE DISNEY DIFFERENCE!

2481435943_cb63f3ce72.jpg

Fyi, this is from Walt's time. Want to keep complaining about a sign on Main Street?
Gotta love the Frito Kid, but don't forget his friend from early Disneyland...Aunt Jemima!
Starbucks is not a problem.
image.jpg

71jason

Well said! That is just one more tragic aspect of this all: the UNI-fication of WDW.

Starbucks feels more appropriate for UNI, not for Disney. Whatever happened to the fabled 'Disney difference'?

I like UNI, but it can't hold a candle to WDW when WDW gets it right. WDW simply does theme and immersion better. This thread for me is about one of those tiny, almost hidden, ways why.

You mean like how the Harry Potter land in Disney doesn't sell any Coke products or even burgers (because those are outside the Harry Potter universe), while the bakery on Main Street USA in Universal has long sold cappucinos, bagels and yogurt parfeits that would have been unheard of in ca. 1900 Marceline, Missouri?

Oh wait, did I mix those up?

HenryMystic

Well said! That is just one more tragic aspect of this all: the UNI-fication of WDW.

Starbucks feels more appropriate for UNI, not for Disney. Whatever happened to the fabled 'Disney difference'?

I like UNI, but it can't hold a candle to WDW when WDW gets it right. WDW simply does theme and immersion better. This thread for me is about one of those tiny, almost hidden, ways why.
Is this real life????

Disney wrote the book on this stuff.

The Empress Lilly

You mean like how the Harry Potter land in Disney doesn't sell any Coke products or even burgers (because those are outside the Harry Potter universe), while the bakery on Main Street USA in Universal has long sold cappucinos, bagels and yogurt parfeits that would have been unheard of in ca. 1900 Marceline, Missouri?

Oh wait, did I mix those up?
No, you didn't mix those up. You are right. WDW has lost this battle.

While UNI is moving forward, WDW is moving backward. Potter and Cars Land are where its at nowadays. These are the new standard. Would there ever be a Starbucks in Potterland? I don't think so. This is the level of thematic immersion that Disney is up against. Instead, Disney sells its crown jewels for grabs to the highest bidder.

The Empress Lilly

Yeah, sponsorships on Main Street totally started in the Iger era.
Sponsorship is as old as Walt indeed. But sponsors are one thing. Disney parks have always relied on that. Outside vendors and franchises are a different thing. A more difficult matter.

A sponsorship is not as intrusive. It's just advertising the brand sold inside. A franchise by contrast is an actual place you visit. And it always still is that outside place, even if this time - their restaurant number 25,783 - is themed by Disney.

I'm fine with Cinderella's Royal Table serving Coke and Heinz Ketchup. I'd be raising hell if they moved in a KFC. (Kentucky Fried Castle?). Nor do I need WDW plastering the Colonel's beardy face all over the Cindy mosaic - even if the Colonel's face was engraved on a faux-sophisticated brass plaque.

And no, it is not fine even if 'all they do is replace the menu with KFC's offerings! It'll still be Cinderella's place, only, she now knows what to do with chicken!'

Tigger1988

Is the replacement of The 50s Prime Time by a McDonald's fine so long as Ronald McDonald doesn't roam the shores of Echo Lake?
Considering Disney and McDonalds managed to have a decades long partnership without anything close to that ever happening I'd say you can put your hyperbole to bed.

Quit with the exaggerated examples that have no chance of happening.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Considering Disney and McDonalds managed to have a decades long partnership without anything close to that ever happening I'd say you can put your hyperbole to bed.

Didn't they try McD's on the parks a few years ago? Or was that just fries?

Tigger1988

Didn't they try McD's on the parks a few years ago? Or was that just fries?
They had fry stands and the only restaurant in a park that served actual McDonalds meals was a CS in AK which I believed opened as such. No table service restaurants were gutted and made into McDonalds.

The Empress Lilly

Excuse me? I'm exploring the example that you provided.

Are outside franchises fine so long as their signature character does not do meet and greets outside? Your question, not mine!
When there's a meet and greet with the Starbucks Mermaid on Main Street maybe then there'll be a valid complaint. Until then...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
They had fry stands and the only restaurant in a park that served actual McDonalds meals was a CS in AK which I believed opened as such. No table service restaurants were gutted and made into McDonalds.

Thanks. I'd heard they had moved in, but it was during a period where I didn't visit the parks or pay attention to details such as that.

Tigger1988

Excuse me? I'm exploring the example that you provided.
Are outside franchises fine so long as their signature character does not do meet and greets outside? Your question, not mine!
I didn't ask a question. I was replying to Lee who posted a photo of Aunt Jemima walking the park in Disneyland. I said, if such a thing was occurring right now there might be reason to complain...however no such thing is happening. You (and others) are acting like this is some obtrusive thing, like it would be if the Starbucks Mermaid were walking around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom