Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I like the products and the signs are time appropriate. But I do not like walking down 1890s MUSA and seeing Starbucks. Could have gone on Tomorrowland Terrace. Replace Casey's with MCDonalds while we are at it
Nothing has been replaced with Starbucks. They are simply serving Starbucks coffee and food items. No different than serving Coke or Edys Ice Cream on Main Street. End of story.

I agree on the point that Tomorrowland Terrace is a waste of a really prime location with seating facing the Castle. They should do something better with it.

Vader2112

I feel like the lack of unique products is perhaps an issue completely apart from the sign. Heck, Starbucks now may be the most unique thing on Main Street (and no, I don't like the stuff - but yes, it's a big step up from Nescafe).

Sign doesn't bother me. The coffee, like I said - they've replaced lousy coffee with less lousy coffee IMO.

But what about the beignets??? That would add much-needed improvement to MSUSA. I will eat them with a bowler hat and a handlebar mustache if that helps make them fit into the proper time period.
ok I will give you the beignets!!! The elimination of Mescafe by Starbucks and Joffery's is great. I can have a coffee that well.. Tastes like coffee. I think it is me being nostalgic. How many main streets these days have a good ole fashioned family owned, mom and pop bakery anymore? Maybe that is where my resistance lies. The fasade reminds me of my home town. when I was a kid

emich88

Since you said "we" I assume you work there. If so can you answer this
I am a trainer there. I am not sure if we will carry beignets. They are still working on our food menu, but we will know when we are on location in about two weeks.

Also I will say, this is simply not just the bakery serving Starbucks coffee. The bakery is an all new quick service location. It will be a real Starbucks, themed to Main Street USA. We will have a few of the bakery food items carry over, but everything else will be Starbucks. Also, we will carry Starbucks merchandise along with co-branded items.

Looking forward, Starbucks will be in all four parks AND Downtown Disney. The DTD location will be a company owned store while the ones in the parks are licensed stores.

nepalostparks

The fact that it has a Starbucks sign in it. MSUSA has lost having unique things in its shops. What's Next Casey's replaced by McDonalds.? I like the fact that they will have Starbucks in the park as the coffee was boiled dirt at best but not happy with the location. Why not Tomorrowland Terrace?

The old Main Street Bakery had a Nestle Toll House logo on it's signage. Casey's Corner has Coca Cola logos. Heck, Main Street in Disneyland has a Coca Cola Refreshment Corner shop that's been there since opening day.

If it was a big ole neon or lighted modern Starbucks sign, then absolutely I would agree that it takes something away. But from the images, it looks tastefully done. Based on the images, these small Starbucks logos don't really take away anything.

And since McDonald's has made an exit from the parks a few years ago, I highly doubt Casey's Corner would be replaced by McDonald's.

nytimez

I am a trainer there. I am not sure if we will carry beignets. They are still working on our food menu, but we will know when we are on location in about two weeks.

Also I will say, this is simply not just the bakery serving Starbucks coffee. The bakery is an all new quick service location. It will be a real Starbucks, themed to Main Street USA. We will have a few of the bakery food items carry over, but everything else will be Starbucks. Also, we will carry Starbucks merchandise along with co-branded items.

Looking forward, Starbucks will be in all four parks AND Downtown Disney. The DTD location will be a company owned store while the ones in the parks are licensed stores.

I feel like this isn't good sign for beignets. :(

Oh well. We'll always have New Orleans Square. And actual New Orleans, for that matter...

djlaosc

Forget the sign and the coffee -- what's up with the beignets??? I hear the temp breakfast location in Tomorrowland is serving beignets. Anyone know if those will carry over to the new bakery menu?

You can still get them at Port Orleans French Quarter if they disappear when the temporary location is closed and they don't transfer over to the Main Street Bakery.

nytimez

You can still get them at Port Orleans French Quarter if they disappear when the temporary location is closed and they don't transfer over to the Main Street Bakery.

Yeah, I know - but I'd rather have them in the parks. In a way, it's good not to have then in MK. There is something very special and unique about beignets in NO Square in DL, so I guess in a way this would help keep it special and unique.

Thanks to all who responded!

The Empress Lilly

You don't say. You mean, you actually train at this Starbucks location, and so you realise that this is, in fact, a real Starbucks location?

Who'd have thought.

LucyK

Loved the signs and the cups, I hope they sell some kind of thermo/cup with similar design by the time I come back.

nytimez

You don't say. You mean, you actually train at this Starbucks location, and so you realise that this is, in fact, a real Starbucks location?

Who'd have thought.

Honestly, having not following the minutia of this thread and the drama over the change in coffee, I wasn't certain whether this was Main St Bakery now serving Starbucks coffee, or an actual Starbucks location that is in the place of the Main St Bakery.

The Empress Lilly

Honestly, having not following the minutia of this thread and the drama over the change in coffee, I wasn't certain whether this was Main St Bakery now serving Starbucks coffee, or an actual Starbucks location that is in the place of the Main St Bakery.
A licensed Starbucks store, I think. But I haven't ssen the contract, nor do I really understand the franchise/licnese/ownership model.

More important is the actual guest perception. Does this feel as a period MS store that, for convenience's sake, happens to sell a known brand of coffee? Or is this a Starbucks location with some disguises so as to not make it stick out like a sore thumb?

To me, the ugly brass sign that advertises that this is a Starbucks location pulls this locale firmly in the direction of the latter.

Killnme

I was surprised the other day at U's park (there on a field trip and it made me love Disney more) had a Starbucks in it. I am really surprised Disney is doing it even more since it is already in U.

nytimez

A licensed Starbucks store, I think. But I haven't ssen the contract, nor do I really understand the franchise/licnese/ownership model.

More important is the actual guest perception. Does this feel as a period MS store that, for convenience's sake, happens to sell a known brand of coffee? Or is this a Starbucks location with some disguises so as to not make it stick out like a sore thumb?

To me, the ugly brass sign that advertises that this is a Starbucks location pulls this locale firmly in the direction of the latter.

IMO the sign kinda looks more like what you'd see in a modern tony little downtown than an early 20th Century Main Street, but it's hardly the biggest or most glaring problem with the place.

Anyway, sad fact is Main Street lost its identity ages ago - and if I had a list of things I'd do to restore it, there are probably a dozen things I'd do before I even reached the bakery.

And if anyone is interested, my first move would be to restore the Penny Arcade.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
IMO the sign kinda looks more like what you'd see in a modern tony little downtown than an early 20th Century Main Street, but it's hardly the biggest or most glaring problem with the place.

Anyway, sad fact is Main Street lost its identity ages ago - and if I had a list things I'd do to restore it, there are probably a dozen things I'd do before I even reached the bakery.

And if anyone is interested, my first move would be to restore the Penny Arcade.
Agreed. There have been much worse changes in the past.

I don't think it's really about the bakery. Some people just hate Starbucks and what they perceive it to stand for. We didn't have a 70 page thread filled with outrage when the Edy's Ice Cream sign went up at the ice cream parlor. Nobody hates Edy's (except maybe lactose intolerant people and vegans:)). Plenty of people hate Starbucks. I don't really get it, it's just pricey coffee, but everyone has the right to grind their own axe.

The Empress Lilly

Anyway, sad fact is Main Street lost its identity ages ago - and if I had a list of things I'd do to restore it, there are probably a dozen things I'd do before I even reached the bakery.
Aye! But...just a dozen? :)

Me, I'd first restore Main Street West, with the flower market. What a travesty that they removed that!

However, the constant Walmartisation of MS has made me more intolerant of decline, instead of more. I really do not understand the argument in this thread that because so much of MS has declined, we should therefore give up and surrender.

The Empress Lilly

I was surprised the other day at U's park (there on a field trip and it made me love Disney more) had a Starbucks in it. I am really surprised Disney is doing it even more since it is already in U.
Well said! That is just one more tragic aspect of this all: the UNI-fication of WDW.

Starbucks feels more appropriate for UNI, not for Disney. Whatever happened to the fabled 'Disney difference'?

I like UNI, but it can't hold a candle to WDW when WDW gets it right. WDW simply does theme and immersion better. This thread for me is about one of those tiny, almost hidden, ways why.

The Empress Lilly

'Brass with old letters' does not make for appropriate period signage. No more than 'something with rice' makes for Chinese cuisine.

Main Street has a different signage tradtion than these polished brass discs. The Starbucks sign fits neither thematically, nor periodically, nor aesthetically. The font is all wrong, the mermaid drawing is all wrong and screams seventies, the round polished brass plate is all wrong.

It is a late 20th century corporate logo, not a turn of the century shop sign. What an eyesore.

As a logo, it should be used as a logo. Not as a shop sign, because 'what do they know, they're only tourists and can't tell the difference anyway'. Guess what, we can tell the difference between a 1971 drawing of a siren and a 1905 shop sign.

Crystal-Palace-Sign.jpg

A small sponsorship sign within the MSB signage would've been fine, as done here with Nestlé. This subordinates Starbucks into a brand of coffee served. Innstead of advertising this as a Starbucks on Main Street. Which is intrusive.

BCE403.jpg

The Empress Lilly

I'm on a roll! (And not a cinnamon one!)

At the very least, the Disney Philistines could've had respect for the Disney tradition of always making original signs, of signage that thematically blends in. Instead of simply duplicating the same sign for 'LA in 1930' as for 'Turn of the century Midwest small town America'.

You can't just copy-paste from one themed area to the next, you cheap accounteneers. Once again WDW gets a West Coast left-over, a sign meant for DCA, not MS.
I blame the difference in fan base, DL fans fiercely guard the Disney tradtion and quality, WDW fans are an applause machine.

Designed to (somewhat, barely) blend in with DCA:

tumblr_m5jkm0m6fY1qax97mo1_500.jpg

Designed to blend in with DCA, therefore clashing with MS:

2zrn514.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom