Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

G00fyDad

It's official! As part of the Lucasfilm deal, Starbucks to open in DHS in the Star Tours AT-AT. (All Terrain All-Starbucks Transport)

* joins rebel alliance, jumps in Snowspeeder, checks tow cable, sets off to harpoon these invaders down *

starbucks_at_at.jpg

Not a very accurate depiction. Where are all of the self-absorbed, poser, knit hat wearing, babies with their Macbooks?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If Disney were to operate a Hooters location in the Adventureland Veranda, then lines would stretch all the way to the park's entrance. Nay, to the TTC.

One can use all the arguments for $bux on MS:
Many customers want it. Disney got the name, the brand. Disney offers something one couldn't get before in the MK. The place will be South Seas themed to blend in. The customers will be elated, and Disney makes a boatload of money.

But none of that means it isn't still just a poor idea.
To whom? The stockholders that will make money or the hundreds of thousands of guests that will be pleased as punch that they can finally get Starbucks inside of WDW.

The Empress Lilly

To whom? The stockholders that will make money or the hundreds of thousands of guests that will be pleased as punch that they can finally get Starbucks inside of WDW.
Reduced maintenance of Splash pleases the stockholders and the hundreds of thousands of guests who got to ride it instead of finding it closed.

But none of that means it isn't still just a poor idea. :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Reduced maintenance of Splash pleases the stockholders and the hundreds of thousands of guests who got to ride it instead of finding it closed.

But none of that means it isn't still just a poor idea. :)
Delaying maintenance really doesn't save you money in the long run so not really great for shareholders. Not great for guests who have chunks of the ride falling on them either. ignoring maintenance has a pretty large downside in the long run.

The Starbucks addition has very little downside to the vast majority of guests unless you:
A) have a problem with Starbucks as a corporation
B) actually prefer the coffee that is currently there
C) are just flat against any change in MK

Just like the beer and wine at BOG for dinner, adding Starbucks enhances the experience for many and for those that don't have any interest in partaking it should have very little impact.

maxairmike

$bux / Disney charge a premium in the parks. I think we can safely assume DCA's price level will be close to WDW's. Here's the menu of DCA's $tarbucks:

starbucks+dca.jpg

The price difference between the DCA location and any other Starbucks location looks to be $0.50, or less, after a quick glance over that picture compared to what I remember. I know the drink I always get is $3.49 in this area. I want to say those are basically the same prices as at the Universal Starbucks' as well. A $0.50 premium for Starbucks, consider my $3.99 spent!

scoobygirl39541

Not sure where you live, but the cost of living must be amazing. $1.85 for a large?? I've never seen it that cheap. And yes, Starbucks does drive these prices up in their locations. It is not an industry trend. I can go into any Dunkin Donuts and get a large coffee for a fraction of the same size at Starbucks.

A 20oz cup of Starbucks coffee is only around $2 in Pennsylvania. A 20oz Latte/specialty drink is roughly $5. You have actually been to a Starbucks right? Not to be rude, just seems like you're following the price stereotype is all :)

M.rudolf

That is all speculation(although Hooters does have good wings). The masses really do want Starbucks. Look, I get what you are saying, but at the end of the day WDW is a theme park for people on vacation. It is not the Smithsonian Museum or a National Park. There really is no higher purposes for the masses (just us freaks). Disney owes its guests a good experience worthy of the price of admission. It can certainly be argued if you get that or not. If Starbucks will add to the experience for many then it's a good idea in my opinion.
At one time there was a higher purpose, a park for all members of the family to enjoy. Instead of inventive we get what a common denominator wants. Remember at one time Walt had to fight to get the parks open, I'm really not sure that heat we have now looks even remotely what Walt envisioned.

Goofyernmost

I don't think that the cost is an issue, especially if you consider it will be in a Disney Park where a bottle of water is about the same cost as an ounce of gold. (yes, I know that was an exaggeration) As a non-coffee drinker it amazes me that a cup coffee has a price that high. What I am against is how something as basic and apparently addictive, has managed to become an elitists status symbol, but that it has done and more power to them. Starbucks may be big, but Disney is bigger and since there is more than one available quality coffee supplier available, I think that Disney had the upper hand in negotiations in this case. If Disney coffee was as bad as everyone says I'm sure that everyone would have been overjoyed at the prospect of Green Mountain Coffee or even Seattle's Best.:cool:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Starbucks may be big, but Disney is bigger and since there is more than one available quality coffee supplier available, I think that Disney had the upper hand in negotiations in this case. If Disney coffee was as bad as everyone says I'm sure that everyone would have been overjoyed at the prospect of Green Mountain Coffee or even Seattle's Best.:cool:

Disney was courting Starbucks... not the other way around.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
At one time there was a higher purpose, a park for all members of the family to enjoy. Instead of inventive we get what a common denominator wants. Remember at one time Walt had to fight to get the parks open, I'm really not sure that heat we have now looks even remotely what Walt envisioned.
exactly. Walt's vision was a park the family can enjoy. If having a Starbucks coffee to start the day is enjoyable for a large portion of guests, mission accomplished. When I reference a higher purpose I am saying that WDW is not intended to be a counter cultural statement or a symbol of a struggle against corporate greed. It's a vacation spot which draws tens of millions of people. Walt embraced corporate sponsors from day 1 so this is nothing new.

M.rudolf

exactly. Walt's vision was a park the family can enjoy. If having a Starbucks coffee to start the day is enjoyable for a large portion of guests, mission accomplished. When I reference a higher purpose I am saying that WDW is not intended to be a counter cultural statement or a symbol of a struggle against corporate greed. It's a vacation spot which draws tens of millions of people. Walt embraced corporate sponsors from day 1 so this is nothing new.
No the problem is they are now a symbol for corporate greed not the struggle against it

Goofyernmost

Disney was courting Starbucks... not the other way around.

Maybe so, but that doesn't mean that there weren't other options that would and could be used if the demands from Starbucks were too extreme? Both entities had plenty to gain by having this arrangement. They, in all likelihood, were courted because they were the biggest and therefore had the deepest pockets that Disney could draw from. Whatever, it's still a good deal if what I think is going to happen, happens!

Goofyernmost

I know coffee at Disney World isn't the greatest, but this is an outrage, just like McDonalds going in there about 10 years ago!

If you don't like the idea of Starbucks taking over the Main Street Bakery - sign my petition! And spread the word!

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitio...&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition

Sorry, I won't. Making mountains out of mole hills is not my thing. Give me a petition demanding them to rehab. CoP to beyond it's former glory...we'll talk. Give me a petition demanding them to fix Imagination Pavilion...I'm with you. Give me a petition to eliminate Fastpass, something that to my mind has done more to ruin Disney Parks original ambiance, then this could ever do...I'll lead the charge. Tell me I need to worry about what kind of coffee is sold in the Main Street Bakery...excuse me I need a nap.

SirLink

I know coffee at Disney World isn't the greatest, but this is an outrage, just like McDonalds going in there about 10 years ago!

If you don't like the idea of Starbucks taking over the Main Street Bakery - sign my petition! And spread the word!

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitio...&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition

See ...

This thread just keeps getting worse and worse...:rolleyes:

People act like they were gonna put in a Hollywood-Maxwell's Intimate Apparel shop on Main St.
wizard3.jpg

Or a Wurlitzer organ store on Main St.
wurlitzer.jpg

Or a Yale lock store on Main St.
$(KGrHqR,!ngF!T9uFYmYBQNvJhT7)g~~60_35.JPG

Or an Aunt Jemima Pancake House (with Aunt Jemima!) in Frontierland.
1959_P_AuntJemima.jpg

Or a Casa de Fritos, featuring the Frito Kid, in Frontierland.
CasadeFritosA.jpg

Now whats the problem ... NONE, NONE, NONE! But hey while your making petitions make one to IMPROVE THE SHOW QUALITY OF THE ENTIRE RESORT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom