Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

Dasnowz

Now this is depressing. I do like teavana. I order online from them and love their fruit flavor teas.

Oh wait how is Starbucks buying Teavana different then Disney buying everything? Do we see a Disney / Starbucks merge in the future? If this was the case then they would truly have their own coffee in the parks.

Disney has Twinnings tea in Epcot for sale. It offers Twinnings in the resorts as well. Does this mean it will be replaced with Teavana products at some point? I do like twinnings peppermint tea and my daughter loves english breakfast.

WDW1974

Highly doubtful - The folks at CP have much better things to do than to inflate the EGOS on here any bigger than they already are.

Ah, a newbie comes in and has all the answers. I love it ... of course you being wrong is amusing, but I'm just amused that we have another one! Welcome ... make yourself comfortable, although I have a feeling you won't last.

WDW1974

The original deal is for 6 locations in CA and FL (these 2 plus the DCA location are known already) so probably not part of this deal. Maybe if these are successful they will extend to more locations.

That is correct. Deal is for one location in each of the six USA parks, not for hotels or DD and certainly not as the new official coffee etc.

DLP, for instance, has one Starbucks in Disney Village, but an official coffee sponsor (Segafredo Zanetti) in the parks. Great coffee, btw. Much better than Starbucks!

G00fyDad

That is correct. Deal is for one location in each of the six USA parks, not for hotels or DD and certainly not as the new official coffee etc.

DLP, for instance, has one Starbucks in Disney Village, but an official coffee sponsor (Segafredo Zanetti) in the parks. Great coffee, btw. Much better than Starbucks!

Why can't we have that (Segafredo Zanetti) here? Never had that brand. Is it really that good?

pipenut

1. The Main Street Bakery will be getting an investment of cash and attention - which is a good thing for that location.
2. The low quality coffee served there will be replaced by something that is for most people a superior coffee.
3. There will be additional baked goods offered - something outside of the standard Disney items that are now appearing everywhere.
4. Most of the existing baked goods for those that have an attachment to them will continue to be offered.
5. IF the cinnamon rolls are removed, they can be obtained in the new Fantasyland.
6. The Starbucks signage will be minimal.
7. The name of the location will remain the same, as will the theme.

Ok, so maybe posts on this thread got just a little intense/off-track, but it's these reasons above that I'm happy to see how everything has gone down!

I mean, way to go everyone for voicing your thoughts loud and clear! Nice to see the Disney fan community come together - sort of - and drive change. And good on Disney for listening to your fan community! :D

If I understand the problem everyone had about this, dare I say points 1 thru 7 above are a decent outcome? I mean, I'm happy the place is getting some love especially considering Marni's pointed out MSUSA is also falling into itself.

The Empress Lilly

Ok, so maybe posts on this thread got just a little intense/off-track, but it's these reasons above that I'm happy to see how everything has gone down!

I mean, way to go everyone for voicing your thoughts loud and clear! Nice to see the Disney fan community come together - sort of - and drive change. And good on Disney for listening to your fan community! :D

If I understand the problem everyone had about this, dare I say points 1 thru 7 above are a decent outcome? I mean, I'm happy the place is getting some love especially considering Marni's pointed out MSUSA is also falling into itself.
I'm afraid that point one to seven was always the deal to begin with. As a consequence of guest confusion it has merely been clarified.

This isn't about MSUSA getting any love. The $bux deal wasn't made by TWDC with the interest of the MK MS in mind.

I share however your pride in WDW guests, they send a clear message that unique Disney offerings are important, that outside vendors, especially if recogisable as such, are met with opposition. God forbid a Disney park ends up with a Starbucks as crassly intrusive as they did at UNI. We'll end up with aHard rock café next to RnRC, or a Planet Hollywood smack dab in the middle of DHS. Oh wait...

Goofyernmost

That's assuming that it hasn't been that way since the beginning. I maintain that it has and nothing has changed from the original plan. I feel that a large majority of this thread is a reaction to misinformation, faulty assumptions and knee jerk reactions to very poorly worded and vaguely explained announcements.

One of the problems with Disney is its tendency to be secretive and in the process only release enough information to allow for expected disclosures. In that process they leave out vital information either assuming that people will know that they have been doing this stuff for years and trust them that they will take care of things or it is unimportant. Unfortunately such is not the world anymore. Disney PR needs to understand that they need to paint a picture so that their fan base can understand what is happening. Epic fail on the part of PR.

The Empress Lilly

Why can't we have that (Segafredo Zanetti) here? Never had that brand. Is it really that good?
It's great. Excellent coffee. Served in fully themed Disney cups too!

I wish the US parks would get some decent coffee too. Alas, as this deal shows, the American parks are more interested in branding partnerships than in serving proper coffee to their guests.

But it is not just TWDC. It is also a matter of guest demand. Europeans care far less for name brands, they value the unique. Assign to that a higher quality. Quality is what's in the cup, not on the logo.
Whereas the American are more supportive of $bux location #20,892 coming in.

Which means poor coffee in WDW everywhere, except for one location each park (and at other outside offerings), where a cup of coffee costs twice that of the excellent coffee you get everywhere in DLP. To boot, a DLP, Sotto explained why, where there are no themamatic issues of the $bux kind either!

The Empress Lilly

That's assuming that it hasn't been that way since the beginning. I maintain that it has and nothing has changed from the original plan. I feel that a large majority of this thread is a reaction to misinformation, faulty assumptions and knee jerk reactions to very poorly worded and vaguely explained announcements.

One of the problems with Disney is its tendency to be secretive and in the process only release enough information to allow for expected disclosures. In that process they leave out vital information either assuming that people will know that they have been doing this stuff for years and trust them that they will take care of things or it is unimportant. Unfortunately such is not the world anymore. Disney PR needs to understand that they need to paint a picture so that their fan base can understand what is happening. Epic fail on the part of PR.
Yes. Disney tries to spin every decision as positively as possible.

If there is change, one does not use the languege of closing, of disappearance. Instead, one uses the language of opening, of newness. Narnia doesn't close, instead, 'Jack Sparrow to move in!'.
This came back to haunt Disney here. 'Starbucks moving in, new menu, Bakery to re-open!'. Disney overlooked that WDW guests have grown sensitive to change, which more often than not has been a decline of some sort in the recent past.

What a shame! The smell of Starbucks burned coffee on Main Street! Yuck! And only some of the favorites from the Bakery on the menu? Not acceptable!!! If you wanted great specialty coffee, then you should have brought in Barnie's CoffeeKitchen not Starbucks and kept everything else the Bakery had to offer. Didn't Disney learn from the fiasco of McDonald's in the park??? When I go to Disney I want something unique that I can't find anywhere else. Having Main Street U.S.A. smell like every strip mall U.S.A. just doesn't do it.

GeneralKnowledge

So I assume Barnie's CoffeeKitchen's does not smell like coffee?

Didn't you know Starbucks coffee is horrible and stinks to high heaven. That's why nobody drinks it and people constantly complain about it.

I understand if you don't like it, that's fine, but to criticize it so strongly discredits your argument because it obviously can't be all that bad or else they wouldn't be so successful.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Didn't you know Starbucks coffee is horrible and stinks to high heaven. That's why nobody drinks it and people constantly complain about it.

I understand if you don't like it, that's fine, but to criticize it so strongly discredits your argument because it obviously can't be all that bad or else they wouldn't be so successful.
Well......Most people who are into coffee, myself included, don't care for Starbucks straight coffee. It has a very burnt flavor and in incredibly bitter finish. Now the masses absolutely love it. I think part of that love comes from a "it is expensive so it must be good" mentality combined with people who do actually like a very strong coffee. There are people who truly enjoy cowboy coffee, so anything is possible.

Bottom line is Disney made a good choice. They are getting the name and the name is what sells. Whether the coffee is good or not is somewhat irrelevant. It will be better than the crap they are currently serving and you will finally be able to get a decent espresso drink.

G00fyDad

Well......Most people who are into coffee, myself included, don't care for Starbucks straight coffee. It has a very burnt flavor and in incredibly bitter finish. Now the masses absolutely love it. I think part of that love comes from a "it is expensive so it must be good" mentality combined with people who do actually like a very strong coffee. There are people who truly enjoy cowboy coffee, so anything is possible.

Bottom line is Disney made a good choice. They are getting the name and the name is what sells. Whether the coffee is good or not is somewhat irrelevant. It will be better than the crap they are currently serving and you will finally be able to get a decent espresso drink.

I get what you're saying. I hate all that "frap crap". I prefer straight black coffee, and Starbucks has fallen very short of the line in that regard for myself and most everyone I know. It is too strong and too burnt. And I also agree that hipsters made Starbucks what it is today. "This coffee is $8 a cup?!?!? It must be the best in the world and people will envy me for having one in my hand."

emo-hipster.jpg

I guess having Starbucks is about on par with having Coke products in WDW. They're both name brands.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I get what you're saying. I hate all that "frap crap". I prefer straight black coffee, and Starbucks has fallen very short of the line in that regard for myself and most everyone I know. It is too strong and too burnt. And I also agree that hipsters made Starbucks what it is today. "This coffee is $8 a cup?!?!? It must be the best in the world and people will envy me for having one in my hand."

emo-hipster.jpg

I guess having Starbucks is about on par with having Coke products in WDW. They're both name brands.
I am about the same. My day to day is black coffee with a little sugar. As far as chain coffee goes Dunkin Donuts is my go to place. If I am brewing myself and feeling fancy I will go for 100% Kona.

I do not mind the frap crap. I might have 3-4 a year when I want coffee but really do not want hot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom