Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thanks to the Mod that changed the thread title.

Is it the cynic in me or does the Parks Blog post these updates with such thin information to stir up trouble intentionally? Are they trying to "determine guest demand" by seeding their own blog with incomplete and/or contentious information? They really need to exercise some better PR control if that is NOT their attention.

They obviously monitor this and other forums....are they hiring?

It's possible. Any publicity is good publicity. More likely, they just threw out the release without thinking too much about it. They probably thought it was a generally positive announcement dealing with a pretty minor issue so they were not prepared for a negative reaction. I am sure they have tons of survey data that shows that guests want better coffee. I am pretty sure they didn't anticipate people interpreting the term "Starbucks location" to mean a generic Starbucks store and they thought saying Disney classics was adequate as opposed to spelling out each food item that would still be available. In the end we all could have avoided a lot of this if they just gave some more details in the first place.

Kuhio

So I take some time off to seize the day and have myself a brief but jolly holiday over the long weekend... and return to official confirmation of Starbucks coming to Main Street, U.S.A.?

My reaction... well, I'll paraphrase a recent, chillingly apropos tweet by one of SNL's most beloved alumnae, Victoria Jackson:

I can't stop crying. Disney World died.

Crazy Harry

I am less offended by Starbucks offering menu items in a few shops versus having a whole store front taken over by them. Nevertheless I still personally disapprove and will express this by not purchasing Starbucks items at the world.

Wow.. I know that I chimed in several pages ago, and stated that I don't mind it coming to the MS Bakery,but I did notice one small detail from the original parks blog post that I just wanted to point out. For those of you that were really worried about the semantics of what was said, it may help calm some fears:

In June, the first Starbucks location opened at Disney California Adventure park in the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café and is already a guest favorite.
Emphasis mine, of course.. But those two little words are very telling aren't they?

SMickey

The Empress Lilly

Six months ago we had a discussion about Starbucks in Eddie Sotto's thread. In a rather calmer atmosphere, thankfully devoid of the agression and personal attacks that threatened to overwhelm this thread, some interesting thoughts were allowed to be exchanged:

Eddie Sotto said:
[Starbucks] will be packed from open till close, a photo op, a huge hit with guests for sure, it's an improvement in quality of their coffee and that's great. I'll buy their coffee too as I'm a Starbucks fan, but to me Starbucks symbolizes the homogenization of cities and emerged as a recent brand unlike Coca Cola and Kodak. No matter how much you theme it, it's iconic. Like putting a McDonald's in the Sahara on an Oasis. The symbolism is bigger than the product, "it's everywhere". You cannot escape today's urban world even if you pay admission. I know and agree that guests will love it. They don't care. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but I just want to escape to another world and have unique experiences.
Across a page or two starting here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...he-parks-part-ii.770938/page-106#post-4938629
It is a fine understanding of the subtleties of thematic design such as this that gives the world MS DLP.
parisien2.gif

scoobygirl39541

No, those are actual pictures of McDonald's former presence in the parks. :)

It's not my cup of tea (coffee). McD's and Starbucks may bring a new product to the parks, but it comes at the expense of show quality.
Potter - the new gold standard for thematic immersion - wouldn't dare include a Starbucks location. Themed food and beverage is where it's at nowadays. Disney learned this from UNI, and got it so very right in the FLE. Sadly, the $bux deal is a regression from that promising trend.

True but would I rather have possibly ok Disney created coffee or guaranteed constantly good Starbucks coffee? hmm ;)

Club34

I assume you missed this as well as the updated press release:

The EPCOT location didn't always serve ice cream. It was an espresso bar and bakery until about 5 years or so ago. They could keep the ice cream too. A lot of Dunking Donuts have Baskin Robbins ice cream too.

In fact, I did see the update and thats why I waited to chime in at all. The very update says "hey, get your roll at fantasyland". Well, thats tough to do for breakfast before rope drop. Hence my post. No, the universe isn't collapsing, but I am disappointed. I would always buy 1 or 2 rolls with my party in the morning (and we are not coffee drinkers) now I will likely buy nothing. And quite honestly, why can't they bring a couple of pans of the popular rolls and throw them under the lamp in time for breakfast? Disney will surely still get my money as I will have to eat at the hotel beforehand. Its just a bummer...a corporate bummer.

Goofyernmost

In fact, I did see the update and thats why I waited to chime in at all. The very update says "hey, get your roll at fantasyland". Well, thats tough to do for breakfast before rope drop. Hence my post. No, the universe isn't collapsing, but I am disappointed. I would always buy 1 or 2 rolls with my party in the morning (and we are not coffee drinkers) now I will likely buy nothing. And quite honestly, why can't they bring a couple of pans of the popular rolls and throw them under the lamp in time for breakfast? Disney will surely still get my money as I will have to eat at the hotel beforehand. Its just a bummer...a corporate bummer.

Since I have never tried to get in the parks before rope drop except to do the Keys to the Kingdom tour once, why is it easier to get in to get something at the Bakery before rope drop? Don't you still have to have reservations for something to get in? Last I saw, the Bakery was on the inside of the rope.

Sharkreef11

While I'm relieved they'll still be there, little is known about how Gaston's will be set up, other than some concept art. Let's just hope it's a decent sized establishment with plenty of seating. My guess is, theme wise, it should be well done.

We just came back about two weeks ago and were lucky enough to experience a preview of the new Fantasyland. Here's a picture of the cinnamon roll and the Lefou's brew in the background. The cinnamon roll was amazing and Gaston's Tavern was very cool. Well themed! Not a lot of seating though. Still enjoyed it. Thought the cinnamon roll pic would be appropriate right now.

20121101_204826.jpg

JillC LI

I don't care so much about Starbucks coming in, but I will care very much if (when?) the current bakery menu, including my beloved ice cream cookie sandwiches, goes out.

captainkidd

We just came back about two weeks ago and were lucky enough to experience a preview of the new Fantasyland. Here's a picture of the cinnamon roll and the Lefou's brew in the background. The cinnamon roll was amazing and Gaston's Tavern was very cool. Well themed! Not a lot of seating though. Still enjoyed it. Thought the cinnamon roll pic would be appropriate right now.

20121101_204826.jpg

Now THAT'S the Disney Cinnamon Roll I'm talking about!!!!

Thanks for the pic!!!

PeoplemoverTTA

Commentary on the cinnamon roll and getting your "favorite" item from the bakery only makes me think of what my mom used to say...

She insisted that she had to get her chocolate chip cookies at Sleep Hollow because they "tasted better." I told her that they were likely all baked in one place and shipped to various locations throughout the park, but she insisted, and stopped at Sleepy Hollow multiple times per trip.

One a different note, I read the blog tidbit about cinnamon rolls as them saying where you could get them (Gastons) while the bakery is closed for refurbishment. I don't think it's 100% stating they won't be there when it reopens.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My interpretation is that the rolls will be available at Gastons while the bakery is getting a refurb. They will be back once it reopens.

ParentsOf4

My interpretation is that the rolls will be available at Gastons while the bakery is getting a refurb. They will be back once it reopens.
It's a reasonable interpretation but I think the announcement is intentionally vague. For the sake of discussion, if WDW committs 100% to including cinnamon rolls in the "remodeled" (;)) Main Street Bakery, then pretty soon everyone will be demanding their favorite items be there as well. If this happens, then there will no room for any Starbucks goodies.

It's much better to commit to as little as possible now with vague promises and then let people find out what's inside once they visit, hoping the reaction is going to be "My favorite X is missing. I can't believe it! Oh wait, what's this other thing in display? That looks pretty good. I'll give that a try instead."

Now if enough people start screaming and yelling about the cinnamon rolls... Well, we've seen how WDW will handle it; another "clarification" about what's being included in the "remodeled" (;)) Main Street Bakery.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's a reasonable interpretation but I think the announcement is intentionally vague. For the sake of discussion, if WDW committs 100% to including cinnamon rolls in the "remodeled" (;)) Main Street Bakery, then pretty soon everyone will be demanding their favorite items be there as well. If this happens, then there will no room for any Starbucks goodies.

It's much better to commit to as little as possible now with vague promises and then let people find out what's inside once they visit, hoping the reaction is going to be "My favorite X is missing. I can't believe it! Oh wait, what's this other thing in display? That looks pretty good. I'll give that a try instead."

Now if enough people start screaming and yelling about the cinnamon rolls... Well, we've seen how WDW will handle it; another "clarification" about what's being included in the "remodeled" (;)) Main Street Bakery.
The all mighty buck will prevail. The cinnamon buns were not cheap. There is a heavy profit margin on them I am sure. If they sold well, which they did whenever I was in there. They will be back. The only reason not to bring them back would be to draw people to Gaston's which won't be necessary yet since its so new IMHO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom