Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

PirateMark24

I worked at the Bakery/Cone Shop during my college program last year. Lines would obviously get long during parades/fireworks, but people ordering mochas/lattes/espressos/frappes slowed lines down immensely. Always hated those people. You're at Disney man. Just get a regular coffee/coke and get out of there.

Cosmic Commando

True, but I am like Will Ferrell's character Mustafa in Austin Powers. Ask me the same question three times and I snap.
If only more people were like that, Lunch with an Imagineer would be much more interesting:

Tell me what's coming to DHS!
No.
I will die before I reveal that information!
Oh all right. I can't stand to be asked the same question three times.

Cosmic Commando

Having no inside knowledge, my guess would be that the menu is finalized for the most part. It's just not been released out to the PR wing yet. A more proper response for them would have been "We will let you know as soon as the final menu is shared with us".
I'd be willing to bet that they have a VERY good idea of exactly what is going to be sold in this location. They are closing for the refurb in only a few months, and as folks have mentioned, this deal with Starbucks has been in the works for quite some time.
I'm not saying that there might not be last minute additions or subtractions, but for the most part, I would bet that a vast majority of those things that folks are worried about have already had their fates decided. They just haven't felt it necessary to tell the PR folks about it, or have not released them the information to share with the world.
As easy as it is to pick on the people on the Blog, I'd bet they are barely one step above the rest of us on the totem pole. Still, the "message" would've been more effective if they could've just released the menu when they announce to eliminate some of the unnecessary worrying.

Retro01

Hogwash. Who wants sponsors? What, are we gonna go all Tokyo Disneyland and have sponsors for practically everything? Who wants to be remotely similar to them? Anyone seen their Splash Mountain presented by Nissan?

Or like Epcot during its medieval period. Thank god we don't have Imagination plugging Kodak any longer, or ExxonMobil for Energy. We might lose Ellen!

I'll take the same old crap any day as opposed to a subtle commercial under the entrance marquee.

Sponsors....bah. Who needs 'em.
Ok lets look at this clearly. First of almost everything in disney world is sponsered whether blatantly advertised or lurking in the background....

AAA - American Automobile Association Hospitality Desk in the Magic Kingdom at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland. Also, has an office at the Car Care Center.

Acushnet Company
Provides golf balls to Walt Disney World.

American Farm Bureau
Exhibitor at the Innovention's attraction at Epcot.

Alamo/National Car Rental
Sponsors Main Street Vehicles at the Magic Kingdom at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland. Also, has a rental office located at the Car Care Center. National provides all the fleet and company vehicles for Walt Disney World.

Bally Retail
Bally of Swizerland is located in the Grand Floridian carrying fine men's and women's accessories: Handbags, scarves, wallets, luggage, briefcases, shoes, belts, neckties, and a wide variety of gift items.

Banfi S.p.A
Almond Garden Shop located in the Italy pavilion carries Italian chocolates, candies, wine tasting, and accessories.

Bass Beer
Pub in the United Kingdom Pavilion

Brauerei Beck GMBH & Co.
Beer Garden in the Germany Pavilion

Brunswick Marine Power
Provides boats and motors, Roadmaster bikes, and Zebco fishing gear

Cerveceria Cuauhtemoc Moctezuma
Malt Beverage in the Mexico Pavilion

Coachmen
"Official Recreational Vehicle of Fort Wilderness Resort and Disney Wide World of Sports".

Coca Cola
Provides softdrinks, water and juices to Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort. Also hosts Electric Umbrella, Cosmic Rays, Casey's Corner, Backlot Epxress, and Studio Catering. Dasani water also sponsors the Full and Half Marathon.

Dole Fresh Fruit Company
Hosts Aloha Isle Juice Bar at Magic Kingdom, Tiki Room and Juice Bar at Disneyland.

Energizer
"The Official Batteries/Flashlights of the Walt Disney World Resort". Also, sponsors Star Tours at both Walt Diseny World and Disneyland Resort.

First USA Bank
Exclusive issuer of the Disney Co-branded credit card. Includes all of the Bank One ATM machines across the Walt Disney World property.

Florida Hospital
Operates the Centre Care facility in Lake Buena Vista and provides health information to cast members.

Footlocker
Sponsors the Walt Disney World Marathon, 1/2 Marathon, Family Fun Run, 10K Classic, and the Cross Country Classic.

Frito Lay
Provides all salty snacks at both the Walt Disney Resort and the Disneyland Resort. Also, sponsors Typhoon Lagoon and named the baseball stadium at the Walt Disney Wide World Sports Complex, Cracker Jack Field.

General Motors
"The Official Vehicle of the Walt Disney World Resort". Also, sponsors the Epcot attraction, Test Track.

Georges Duboeuf
Les Vins de France shop in the France pavilion carries wines and accessories. Wine tasting is also available.

Guerlain, Inc.
La Signature shop located in the France pavilion carries personal accessories, make-up and perfumes.

Haagen-Dazs
Provides various ice cream products across Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort.

Hasbro
"Official Toy & Game Company at the Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort." This includes a Hasbro Toy Store, "Once Upon a Toy", located at Downtown Disney. Also, sponsors all of the children's centers across Walt Disney World property and is represented with giant icons at the new Disney's Pop Century Resort.

Hewlett-Packard
Sponsors Mission: Space at Epcot and the Fireworks display at Disneyland.

Hunt-Wesson
"The Official Popcorn of Walt Disney World and Disneyland."

International Business Machines (IBM)
Exhibitor, "Networked Living", at Innoventions West at Epcot.

International Motor Speedway (IMS)
Sponsors the Tomorrowland Speedway at the Magic Kingdom.

J.M. Smucker Company
Displayes product in the windows of the Yankee Trader and in the Main Street Merchandise windows. Sponsors the Character Breakfast at the Soundstage Restaurant at Disney's MGM Studios and the Cape May Restaurant at the Beach Club Resort.

Kellogg's
"The Official Sponsor of breakfast at the WDW Resort".

Kirin Brewery Company
Provides the malt beverage in the Japan Pavilion.

Kodak
Official Imaging Sponsor of Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort. Also, sponsors the Imagination Pavilion, the Fantasyland Theater at Disneyland and all the camera shops and kiosks throughout the Walt Disney World Resort, including the Theme Park guidebooks.

Lutron
Exhibitor, "The Ultimate Home Theater Experience" at Innoventions West at Epcot.

McDonald's
Sponsors DinoLand at the Animal Kingdom and hosts fry cart throughout the parks at Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort. Also, operates restaurants at Downtown Disney and near the All - Star Resorts.

Miller Imports (Giuseppe Armani)
Sponsors merchandise shop, Sculpture D'Arte, in the Italy Pavilion.

National Fluid Milk "Got Milk?"
Sponsors the field house, "Milk House" at the Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex.

National Association of Underwater Instructors (NAUI)
Sponsors Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon.

Nestle
Sponsors the Land Pavilion at Epcot and the stroller, pet care and baby care locations throughout the Walt Disney World property and Disneyland. Nestle also has presence in many of the food and beverage locations throughout those properties.

P.J. Valkenberg
Hosts the wine shop, Weinkeller, in the Germany Pavilion.

Roots Canada
Provides Roots brand Canadian clothing, headwear, accessoriesn and cologne in Northwest Merchantile Store in Canada Pavilion.

R. Twinings & Company Limited
The Tea Caddy shop in the United Kingdom pavilion carries specialty tea items, china, candy and snacks.

Schering Plough Healthcare Products (Coppertone)
Sponsors Mickey's Mart at the Magic Kingdom and Singapore Sal's at Typhoon Lagoon.

Society of Plastics Industry
Exhibitor at the Innoventions attraction at Epcot.

Tappi
Exhibitor, "Forests for our Future", at Innoventions East at Epcot.

Toro
Sponsors "The Towne Green" special events area at Disney's Wide World of Sports.

Underwriters Laboratories

Visa USA
The Official credit card of Disney.

Whirlpool

This is why when disney build parks they don't owe a bean!
I do admit there are other places I think would be more suited to house a Starbucks, for example 'Tomorrowland Noodle Terrace (which is never open anyway), but I think it will be a great addition and, lets not forget without sponsors Disney World would be a more expensive place to visit.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
As easy as it is to pick on the people on the Blog, I'd bet they are barely one step above the rest of us on the totem pole. Still, the "message" would've been more effective if they could've just released the menu when they announce to eliminate some of the unnecessary worrying.
I think that there are quite a few members of these forums that are WAY more in the know than Disney PR, especially those in charge of the Parks Blog.
Agreed though, they could have easily short-circuited a LOT of the worry for folks if they would have just waited until they had
a) a semi-solid version of what Disney products would be offered
and
b) a quick "concept art" sketch showing the new look of the cafe

I don't know why they always seem to need to rush to put out half-baked information about things like this. Who was really going to scoop them on this? Who was even trying?

Cosmic Commando

I just had an interesting "devil's advocate" type thought: one of the comments on the Parks Blog was essentially "keep everything, add coffee". Now, the Bakery is already so busy that the lines usually deter me from going in. If you kept all of that demand AND made it the only place in the MK to get decent coffee, it would be overrun. Maybe they can/will add cashier capacity, but in a way, it almost behooves Disney to make the Bakery less popular to a degree so that people can actually get in there to buy the coffee. It'll be interesting to see what they do and how it turns out.

Cosmic Commando

Hogwash. Who wants sponsors? What, are we gonna go all Tokyo Disneyland and have sponsors for practically everything? Who wants to be remotely similar to them? Anyone seen their Splash Mountain presented by Nissan?

Or like Epcot during its medieval period. Thank god we don't have Imagination plugging Kodak any longer, or ExxonMobil for Energy. We might lose Ellen!

I'll take the same old crap any day as opposed to a subtle commercial under the entrance marquee.

Sponsors....bah. Who needs 'em.
I have to imagine the number of sponsors at WDW is limited by the supply of the sponsors, not the demand on WDW's side.

bubbles1812

Tee Hee. @Retro01 ... I think you might have proved him wrong...just a little bit. Sorry I didn't want to quote that whole thing but it made me laugh. Sponsors have always been a part of WDW whether we like it or not. Some are just more obvious than others

Fable McCloud

Look, I know I need my coffee, but this is taking it a step too far. I'd much rather anice little Main Street Bakery, than an overpriced Starbucks. I want something I can't see on my drive to work everyday. Also, it kind of messes with the whole Main Street feel a bit...or a lot.

::Sigh::

I understand sponsorship, but why there of all places? Why not just Downtown Disney?

captainkidd

Won't do any good, but for the record, here was the email I sent to Disney:

To whom it may concern:

Clearly, this email will fall upon deaf ears as the majority of people have spoken out and are disgusted that you are changing the iconic Main Street Bakery into a Starbucks, but you should hear it anyways. We have been vacationing at WDW for 25 years. The Bakery has always been a tradition of ours, and of thousands of other families. You can sugarcoat it all you want by saying “It will still feel like Main Street.” Whatever. Does that mean we can expect a Wal-Mart to move into the Emporium as long as the theme fits?

You have sold out at the expense of your loyal fan base in a way that goes beyond anything you’ve done before. We have put up with shoddy upkeep on attractions, skyrocketing prices at the resorts and park tickets, ridiculous changes to Fastpass. Have you stopped for 1 minute to think of the ridiculously long lines that will be created with people ordering all sorts of crazy concoctions? Of course not. Just about how much money you can rake in.

We’ve always been used to the sponsorship at Walt Disney World, whether it be Fed Ex at Space Mountain, Nestle at The Land, Kodak at Imagination, etc. But this goes beyond Sponsorship. This is a direct greedy slap in the face to the legions of Disney faithful who have stood by the resort, even in times of a sluggish economy and even more sluggish upkeep on the resort.

As a non coffee drinker, I don’t care in the least what type of coffee is served. But if this had to be done, set it up outside the entrance to the park. Put it in Tomorrowland, which has been ruined for years. But instead, you drop it smack dab in the very heart of Walt Disney World.

baymenxpac

Won't do any good, but for the record, here was the email I sent to Disney:

To whom it may concern:

Clearly, this email will fall upon deaf ears as the majority of people have spoken out and are disgusted that you are changing the iconic Main Street Bakery into a Starbucks, but you should hear it anyways. We have been vacationing at WDW for 25 years. The Bakery has always been a tradition of ours, and of thousands of other families. You can sugarcoat it all you want by saying “It will still feel like Main Street.” Whatever. Does that mean we can expect a Wal-Mart to move into the Emporium as long as the theme fits?

You have sold out at the expense of your loyal fan base in a way that goes beyond anything you’ve done before. We have put up with shoddy upkeep on attractions, skyrocketing prices at the resorts and park tickets, ridiculous changes to Fastpass. Have you stopped for 1 minute to think of the ridiculously long lines that will be created with people ordering all sorts of crazy concoctions? Of course not. Just about how much money you can rake in.

We’ve always been used to the sponsorship at Walt Disney World, whether it be Fed Ex at Space Mountain, Nestle at The Land, Kodak at Imagination, etc. But this goes beyond Sponsorship. This is a direct greedy slap in the face to the legions of Disney faithful who have stood by the resort, even in times of a sluggish economy and even more sluggish upkeep on the resort.

As a non coffee drinker, I don’t care in the least what type of coffee is served. But if this had to be done, set it up outside the entrance to the park. Put it in Tomorrowland, which has been ruined for years. But instead, you drop it smack dab in the very heart of Walt Disney World.

i respect the fact that you have an opinion on this, as many do. i'm just confused why this of all things is sending fans into a frenzy. not splash mountain literally falling apart? or the nets at the tree of life? or spending 6 months on refurbing big thunder only to have effects still not working?

i just don't get it. listen, i know people can get attached to their pastry, but a quintessential meltdown about slightly different (if at all) baked goods and better coffee? especially when starbucks probably has more pride in the quality of their brand than disney does for its own? letter writing to disney is definitely in need, but there are far more egregious show quality failures, IMO.

captainkidd

i respect the fact that you have an opinion on this, as many do. i'm just confused why this of all things is sending fans into a frenzy. not splash mountain literally falling apart? or the nets at the tree of life? or spending 6 months on refurbing big thunder only to have effects still not working?

i just don't get it. listen, i know people can get attached to their pastry, but a quintessential meltdown about slightly different (if at all) baked goods and better coffee? especially when starbucks probably has more pride in the quality of their brand than disney does for its own? letter writing to disney is definitely in need, but there are far more egregious show quality failures, IMO.

I love the cinnamon rolls, but those can be find elsewhere.

It's not about the food that is served. Well, not entirely.

Atomicmickey

Wow, I was sort ignoring this thread, had no idea it got so dramatic in here.

My two cents, it seems like Starbucks in DCA was done well.
This seems like a not-very-important-thing-to-complain about.
I like their coffee, and I'm certain they're not going to make it look
like a generic Starbucks.

jakeman

Ahhhh, insults. The sign that it's federal holiday and children aren't in school.
Carnation Cafe at DLR. (Sponsorship! In the middle of Main Street! Oh the huge manatee!)

Coco Cola Refreshment Corner at DLR. (Oh no! Another one on Main Street! Burn it down Pooky!)

Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop at DCA.

Rainforest Cafe at DAK.

Yak and Yeti at DAK.

Seems like Starbucks on Main Street isn't the first place to "slap fans in the face" with a food related sponsorship.

GiveMeTheMusic

I love the cinnamon rolls, but those can be find elsewhere.

It's not about the food that is served. Well, not entirely.

Well then what is it about? What about adding Starbucks as a sponsor and selling their coffee in the Main Street Bakery, which will still be staffed by Disney CMs, cosmetically the same, feature the same cinnamon rolls etc, is greedy? Their coffee SUCKS and they are bringing in the most popular coffee in the world to satisfy the demand of guests who have begged for over a decade for ANYTHING other than Nescrape. You do realize at Disneyland, on Main Street, WALT'S Main Street, there's a Carnation Cafe? It's actually NAMED for the company that presents it. Carnation. Up until last fall, there was an area next to the Castle there called Carnation Plaza Gardens (it's now the site of the new princess greet opening in the spring). At WDW, they're not even changing the name of the Bakery! Instead of being "Hosted by Sara Lee", as it used to be, it will be "Hosted by Starbucks." Walt allowed a BRA shop on Main Street. The Wizard of Bras. I am not making this up. We have this whole purist image of what Disney is, and we made it up. Walt was not a purist. A BRA SHOP. Think of the CHILDREN.

I just don't get it. And your letter makes it sound like you can put up with shoddy maintenance but new coffee? Too much. I just don't get it. What about this is so apocalyptic?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

You are not the only one. The one example we have of a Starbucks being put inside of a Disney park, Fiddler, Fifer, & Practical Cafe at DCA, show us a seamless integration that preserved the majority of our bakery favorites AND added incredibly popular and generally good coffee options. Yet people seem to be assuming that the Main Street Bakery will be burned to the ground, have its ashes desecrated, and a modern Starbucks will be erected in its place. Why the fact that there is no historical precedent, the official blog said nothing of this and has even indicated that many of the original items will still be there has escaped so many is beyond me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom