Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

captainkidd

Many times throughout this thread people have mentioned, "I can get Starbucks anyplace, I want something that is unique to Disney". And then Cinnamon Rolls pops up. You guys do know that Cinnamon Rolls are available everyplace too, don't you? I thought the Rolls there were good, but nothing spectacular. If Cinnamon Rolls are not fresh and soft and warm..they are nothing special. That's what I found at "The Bakery", not fresh, not soft and not warm. I liked them, just wasn't overly impressed. That said, I believe it has been said, again and again and again and again that we have no reason to believe that they won't still be available at that location. Shouldn't we panic more when something actually does happen instead of diving off the deep end before we even know what the plan is?

Not sure what to tell you there. I think in 25 years, I maybe once had one that wasn't fresh, warm and soft. And certainly it wasn't in the morning.

ParentsOf4

Would you all be satisfied if they kept the name Main Street Bakery, but added the tag line featuring Starbucks? They're going to keep the popular, well known items in the bakery, but are improving it with supplemental coffee options and some non-Disney pastries.
It's WDW, one big stage. Everything is about presentation.:)

With that acknowledged, they didn't need to license a Starbucks on Main Street USA to improve the coffee. I suspect (just an uninformed guess) that people making the decision thought Starbucks would be very popular. And I think they are right. Except for us WDW aficionados, the casual North American tourist is going to see the (subtle) Starbucks sign and say "Look, coffee I am familiar with!" The same reaction they have when they see a McDonald's sign.

I'm of the opinion that WDW die-hards view Main Street USA as holy ground. Starbucks represents the local mall coming to Main Street USA. I really think very few people, even the WDW addicts, would care if they were opening it someplace else. Unfortunately, too many people who have been talking down to (insulting really) those who feel this way simply don't understand the emotional reaction nor, it seems, do they want to try.

flynnibus

Premium Member
With that acknowledged, they didn't need to license a Starbucks on Main Street USA to improve the coffee. I suspect (just an uninformed guess) that people making the decision thought Starbucks would be very popular. And I think they are right

While Disney could invest in trying to beat Starbucks... they could instead take a known winner and just let it do it's magic. I'm sure there are millions that will end up buying a drink that otherwise wouldn't have before they had Starbucks. It's a proven winner with hit's own loyal fan base. People know what they are getting - so Disney doesn't have to fight to establish that.. and it sells.

GeneralKnowledge

It's WDW, one big stage. Everything is about presentation.:)

With that acknowledged, they didn't need to license a Starbucks on Main Street USA to improve the coffee. I suspect (just an uninformed guess) that people making the decision thought Starbucks would be very popular. And I think they are right. Except for us WDW aficionados, the casual North American tourist is going to see the (subtle) Starbucks sign and say "Look, coffee I am familiar with!" The same reaction they have when they see a McDonald's sign.

I'm of the opinion that WDW die-hards view Main Street USA as holy ground. Starbucks represents the local mall coming to Main Street USA. I really think very few people, even the WDW addicts, would care if they were opening it someplace else. Unfortunately, too many people who have been talking down to (insulting really) those who feel this way simply don't understand the emotional reaction nor, it seems, do they want to try.

I see the emotional reaction. In fact, that's all I see. Sometimes people need to think logically and not just react with raw emotion.

Bakery patrons are losing at most the name and some of the less popular offerings of the bakery. It will go hand in hand with Edy's Ice Cream Parlor down on the corner. Outside corporate involvement in the parks is nothing to be afraid of. Disney has managed it well for decades and will most likely continue to. As long as they handle this properly I think it will be a positive addition to the MK.

ParentsOf4

I don't really see the harm in this... Someone may have mentioned this in the billion pages for this post, but McDonalds used to sell fries on property... Whats the difference... I don't even drink coffee, but know that Disney's coffee is something to be desired. Shoot, its instant at the resorts.
Very simple. McDonald's didn't open a store on Main Street USA. Psychologically, there's a big difference between selling something (Coke for example) on Main Street USA vs. opening a Coke store on Main Street USA.

Even a brand like McDonalds predates most WDW guests. Many grew up with McDonalds. Starbucks is (relatively) new and doesn't have that "It belongs on Walt Disney's Main Street" feel that some of the other brands sold on Main Street USA have. It's not a logical response, it's an emotional response.

WDW is not about logic, it's about emotion. That's why Disney has been running the same basic nostalgia ad for 20 years. Disney is attempting to provoke an emotional reaction to get you to take a WDW vacation. Naturally, people are going to have an emotional reaction when Starbucks moves into Main Street USA.

Cosmic Commando

I got around to reading the Parks Blog post... the Disney PR machine has finally gotten on my nerves! It's filled with people freaking out and the Disney guy saying:
Hi Amy, yes there will be a selection of Disney favorites that you’ve enjoyed at the bakery over the years.
The menu has not been finalized but there will be favorites available. Thanks for the comment, Megan. Please keep an eye on the Blog for updates.
Hi Emily, there will indeed be Disney items to choose from. We’ll try to get menu details posted here on the Blog when available.
Hi Aimee, all of the treats at Main Street Bakery will not be replaced. There will still be a selection of your favorites to choose from.
You’ll still be able to order some of your favorites at the location, Mary. The final menu has not been set yet.
Thanks for the comment, Greg. I’ve always loved the sights and smells of Main Street, U.S.A., too. We’ll be sharing more details, but count on seeing some Disney favorites on the menu.
Just finalize the damn menu! It's a menu of pastries and desserts for a tiny little restaurant, not Operation Overlord! The DCA one has been open for almost five months now, you should have a pretty good idea of how it's going with the mix of Disney and Starbucks offerings... give the people a menu!

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
It was pretty chilly at DCA the other day, so I went looking for a hot chocolate. There was a coffee ODV stand that had hot chocolate... $5 for a roughly "grande" sized cup of hot chocolate from one of those giant metal tanks. I said screw it... if I'm going to pay a ridiculous price for hot chocolate, it might as well taste good. I went to Fiddler, Fifer and Practical. $3.69 for a venti hot chocolate made with real-life milk in front of you and whipped cream and chocolate syrup on top. Plus the milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, etc. on the counter for you to add to your drink. For cheaper than the basic Disney stuff in the same park.
There ya go! I'll take a Starbucks hot chocolate over the watery, lukewarm stuff Disney serves up anytime. Also - fountain drinks are $0.75 cheaper at the DCA Ghirardelli than in the rest of the park. :D Maybe these things aren't so bad after all.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I got around to reading the Parks Blog post... the Disney PR machine has finally gotten on my nerves! It's filled with people freaking out and the Disney guy saying:

Just finalize the damn menu! It's a menu of pastries and desserts for a tiny little restaurant, not Operation Overlord! The DCA one has been open for almost five months now, you should have a pretty good idea of how it's going with the mix of Disney and Starbucks offerings... give the people a menu!

This is the PR statement that made me bonkers when they were opening the 1st one in Cali:

“We look forward to offering Starbucks products at Disney Parks. Many guests told us that having Starbucks available during their vacation is important to them and this is another example of how we bring their feedback to life at our destinations,” said Suzi Brown, director of media relations and external communication at Disneyland.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

If I was Tom my 4th and final response would have read "Did you not bother to read that this questions has been answered three times?", but I am not bound by Disney's be nice to everyone rules like I am sure he is. :D

rudyjr13

name of the shop will not change.... same signage... I'm sure starbucks logos will be on the windows, but that's no different than having nestle, or eddy's ice cream logos (those are there now)

bumping this for its importance. hopefully people are actually reading this . Thanks @wdw71fan

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Quick question for anyone who has been to the DCA location. Do they use typical Starbucks lingo for their offerings? ie...Vente, Grande, ect....

Cosmic Commando

If I was Tom my 4th and final response would have read "Did you not bother to read that this questions has been answered three times?", but I am not bound by Disney's be nice to everyone rules like I am sure he is. :D
I figure that if you're going to purposefully give people the bare minimum amount of information, you should at least be nice about it. :D

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

Having no inside knowledge, my guess would be that the menu is finalized for the most part. It's just not been released out to the PR wing yet. A more proper response for them would have been "We will let you know as soon as the final menu is shared with us".
I'd be willing to bet that they have a VERY good idea of exactly what is going to be sold in this location. They are closing for the refurb in only a few months, and as folks have mentioned, this deal with Starbucks has been in the works for quite some time.
I'm not saying that there might not be last minute additions or subtractions, but for the most part, I would bet that a vast majority of those things that folks are worried about have already had their fates decided. They just haven't felt it necessary to tell the PR folks about it, or have not released them the information to share with the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom