Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

Bolna

Isn't that ironic? Suddenly some of the people who supposedly are the big Disney haters out there are ok with a change and others are getting so upset that this is one the fastest moving threads on the board.

My analysis of this conundrum is that people like @WDW1974 are in fact able to see WDW in an analytical way. They are drawing from experience and knowledge to interpret the facts presented in a way that makes their opinion so valuable. Others just bring their emotions to the table. The parks certainly are places that are designed to create emotions, but often emotions can get in the way of seeing the big picture of things. And it appears that people generally hate it when they are told that their emotion does not make sense - so they have to try to belittle those who point out the flaws by calling them haters or - if that's not possible as in this case - interpreting their criticism as insults. Sometimes I am amazed at what a case study for human behaviour message boards can be...

To me this appears to be the Lights of Winter all over again - and I think it is sad that little things like this get the attention that big things like the show quality standards of the state of the Disney World transportation system don't get. And I am even not fond of those sponsoring deals at all!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Small Town USA was not destroyed in one step by the sudden opening of a Big Box Wal-Mart. It happened incrementally. With the invasion of Starbucks, we are witnessing Step One of the transition of Main Street USA into the Mall of America.

And what exactly do you think happened over the last 15+ years???

Step one? The game was last week dude! It's over!

Funny... Don't remember so much angst when VMK soiled Main Street in a real way

jme

If they start selling Starbucks drinks and keep the bakery's menu then I'm fine with this, but if they replace the baked goods with Starbucks far inferior versions I'll be pretty upset.

Mrs.Toad

There is a highway by me where there are 2 Starbacks directly across from each other. One eastbound and one westbound, and if you keep going west there are many more.

Its too much. Now my beloved Bakery. And the cheesecake is from the Cheesecake Factory. Pretty tasty, but I can't get upset with CF because Sheldon, Leonard, Raj, and Howard love it. LOL!

71dsp

As has been said several times, if they keep the theme and food, then I don't think anyone will care in the least bit what type of coffee is served.

100% Agree. :)

My wife and I love some Starbucks, but we're hoping the theme and food remain!

BTW, we knew our city hit the big time when a Starbucks was opened. Now we have 3 (one of them is in a Tom Thumb). I chuckle at the sight of Harley yuppies sipping coffee at the local Starbucks. :)

rudyjr13

Shocked...

I am giving myself an hour to recover before I contact my parents. They are going to take this just as bad. Since childhood, that bakery is so tied to my memories of Main Street. The first place I hit when I get to MK.

My parents look forward to this as if they were waiting on line for an attraction. Actually, they don't function well in the parks unless they get their Main Street Bakery fix of some kind of cake and coffee, and then we would hang out there and just enjoy being in MK and on Main Street.

How do I break the cinnamon roll cut off gently? Will they maybe sell them somewhere else in the park? I can live with just the coffee being replaced, but why would Starbucks agree to not push their own food products and keep the bakery's?

Also, I saw that one post about the Plaza rumor. This is too much to take in one thread. I will die without that cheesesteak, if it is true.

And your parents and you will continue to enjoy going to MSB in the future, you will just have more food and coffee options if you choose. Read the facts. Do you REALLY think they will stop selling prob their best seller, the cin buns?

ParentsOf4

To me this appears to be the Lights of Winter all over again - and I think it is sad that little things like this get the attention that big things like the show quality standards of the state of the Disney World transportation system don't get. And I am even not fond of those sponsoring deals at all!
It's simply inaccurate to suggest that show quality standards don't get a great deal of attention. These get attention all the time. A week doesn't go by without someone starting a new thread concerning something broken at WDW.

The difference is that Starbucks coming to Main Street USA is new news. The difference is that a lot of people have an emotional attachment to the Main Street Bakery. Sadly, no one had the chance to grow up with a working Yeti because it worked for such a short time. However, lots of people grew up going to the Main Street Bakery. Lots of people have an emotional attachment to Main Street USA. As I've posted in the past, Main Street USA is holy ground for many WDW aficionados. They are messing with a WDW legend.

You have to give people a chance to mourn the loss of a Main Street USA icon.

P.S. Short term, I think things will be fine. However, I am concerned about the direction. When do we get a Gap on Main Street? What about Wendy's? They are, after all, "old fashioned hamburgers".

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
This is no worse than when Edy's went into the Ice cream parlor.

I could agree with the Edy's comparison if Disney was just swapping out brands of coffee and coffee related fare. That doesn't seem to be the case. By Disney's press release Starbucks will bring with them all of their baked good products along with their various sandwiches.

My taste buds are very familiar with both the Bakeries and Starbucks baked good products. The taste buds are going to revolt when I try to trick them with Starbucks baked goods yet those same taste buds will be doing a happy dance when I don't splash Nescafe on them first thing in the morning.

Disneygram

To replace my previous post which I can not find................I can not believe that they want to take away, the Main Street Bakery for Starbucks!! I am a coffee drinker, but really do not like Starbuck coffee and would never buy it......I have 2 grandsons that love the smell of Disney and I can assure you it is from the Main Street Bakery!!We are always on the hunt for that fragrance,and I can assure you when we have goto Barnes and Nobles, NEVER, NEVER have I heard them say,Gram, it smells like Disney World in here. Put Starbucks somewhere else but leave Main Street Bakery where it is!!! Please!!! Wake up and smell the coffee..oops I mean the BAKERY!!!!!!

StageFrenzy

I could agree with the Edy's comparison if Disney was just swapping out brands of coffee and coffee related fare. That doesn't seem to be the case. By Disney's press release Starbucks will bring with them all of their baked good products along with their various sandwiches

My taste buds are very familiar with both the Bakeries and Starbucks baked good products. The taste buds are going to revolt when I try to trick them with Starbucks baked goods yet those same taste buds will be doing a happy dance when I don't splash Nescafe on them first thing in the morning.

Those first three sentences say the same thing, Starbucks is bringing in coffee and coffee related fare. Along with better trained staff. They will still have Disney baked goods!

Disneygram

After years of complaining about the coffee, TWDC listens. Now, no one is happy? Sheesh.
Do you really think Starbucks coffee is that great? It is strong and has a burnt taste to me...Just sayin!I mean can't they just leave the Bakery there,with the name and just feature the coffee???????????

Beholder

I know it's not a chain like Starbucks, but half the restaurants at EPCOT are run by third party vendors and most of DTD too. Not sure if the issue is that it's run by a third party vendor or that it's a chain.

Maybe both. Just the fact it's not unique to Disney is the biggest issue for me. It doesn't create a problem at all for me, I just find it "odd". Seeing a vendor of any type within WDW, more specifically in a park, just sort of breaks the fourth wall for me. Like I said, nothing major for me, but I'd rather have something completely unique. Not practical I suppose, but that's my 2 cents.

rudyjr13

To replace my previous post which I can not find................I can not believe that they want to take away, the Main Street Bakery for Starbucks!! I am a coffee drinker, but really do not like Starbuck coffee and would never buy it......I have 2 grandsons that love the smell of Disney and I can assure you it is from the Main Street Bakery!!We are always on the hunt for that fragrance,and I can assure you when we have goto Barnes and Nobles, NEVER, NEVER have I heard them say,Gram, it smells like Disney World in here. Put Starbucks somewhere else but leave Main Street Bakery where it is!!! Please!!! Wake up and smell the coffee..oops I mean the BAKERY!!!!!!

Main Street Bakery IS staying where it is...facts are our friends...the smell will still be there come on now

ParentsOf4

Maybe both. Just the fact it's not unique to Disney is the biggest issue for me. It doesn't create a problem at all for me, I just find it "odd". Seeing a vendor of any type within WDW, more specifically in a park, just sort of breaks the fourth wall for me. Like I said, nothing major for me, but I'd rather have something completely unique. Not practical I suppose, but that's my 2 cents.
Yeah, I've been going to WDW since the 1970s and they've always had sponsors and brand placement. Even in the 1970s, it always took away a bit from the "magic" when some third party's wares were being peddled. It's the reason I didn't have a strong reaction when the Emporium was taken over. No matter what you think of the merchandise, at least they were selling generic Disney stuff.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think if you stick with the facts here there is not too much to get excited about. A lot of people are jumping to conclusions and making assumptions without any basis in facts. The original article and DCA location (which is the first of 6) tell you that the outside look WILL NOT CHANGE. No giant Starbucks sign, no change other than probably a small Starbucks sign that blends with the theme. The menu will include Starbucks coffee, drinks and baked goods as well as Disney classics. We don't know exactly what the menu will be, but many people have jumped to the conclusion that the bakery items will all be gone. That is not true. A lot of people seem to be assuming that the 6 month time frame means major changes to allow them to make the inside look like a regular Starbucks. Unlikely. DCA should be a good sample. Plus the ice cream parlor closed for 3 months for a refurb and reopened looking pretty much the same. Based on all of this I am assuming when the bakery reopens it will look pretty similar, offer at least some of the same baked goods plus a variety of Starbucks goods and of course better coffee. Any implication that this will lead to a Taco Bell or KFC on property now is just speculation not based in reality.

What if they simply found a 3rd party vendor to run the bakery and that person planned to sell different coffee? Let's say its GoofGoof coffee Co. Would that be a big deal? If so, I hope you don't eat meals in EPCOT since half those restaurants are run by third party vendors. I assume some of the issue is that Starbucks is a big corporate entity. Anti-Starbucks sentiment is in my opinion a little bizarre, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. What I find a little curious is some of the biggest anti-Starbucks posters are also saying they either don't drink coffee or hate Starbucks coffee. If that is the case, have you even eaten Starbucks food? The assumption that because it's a chain it has to be McDonalds quality is pretty narrow minded. Starbucks has a reputation for quality which should be evident by the fact that they insisted on addition training for Disney employees working at the DCA location.

I understand the sentiment of not wanting to lose an icon on Main Street that may have been part of your personal tradition, but if the place looks the same from the outside, mostly looks the same inside (including CM costumes) and serves some of the same food there is no reason it can't remain part of your tradition. A Starbucks symbol on you coffee cup should not impact the experience. Other than the cups and the drinkable coffee you probably won't even know the difference.

Figment2005

I am about halfway through this thread and the only thing that is on my mind is how so many posters have become whiny brats. If a POSITIVE change this minute causes this much pain to soooo many people then I worry about the state of American society. America is built on change, not holding to the past. And if Main Street is built on American standards then change will happen regardless of what the whiny people say. Welcome to real life!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom