Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
More intriguingly, where are you from? I've traveled all over the world and have never heard of doing something "on the daily".
Googled it ('cause I'm old and so uncool).
As discussed, it means "frequently or regularly".
An alternative saying is "on the reg" - which just sounds nasty.

Cosmic Commando

I'm sure it always had a line of some sort. It was on the narrow entry/exit path as the only access point into and out of the most popular theme park on the planet, but most people just call that "Main Street USA at Disney World". :D

17+ Million people per year pass right outside the doors of this facility, with no other way into or out of the theme park. And I've heard great things about the cinnamon rolls they had there, so obviously there'd be a line for most of the day.

But it's appearance was rather mundane, which was what I was talking about in my original text; it's appearance. It didn't look spectacular or awe-inspiring. It looked very normal, and exactly how you'd expect a bakery/snack bar to look in an old-timey Americana theme park. I think mundane is the right word for this facility.
MM_-_Bakery-01.03.13-111.jp.jpg

And not that it absolutely awes anyone with its aesthetics today, either. I do like what they did with the ceiling though, by painting it dark and keeping the raised cove sections a lighter color. That gave the space more interest and reduced the bland and cheap look the ceiling had before. It looks more visually interesting and richer now, and less "1970's Americana Theme Park" as compared to its prior look.
9066970037_83412847b1_z.jpg

Thanks for tracking down the pictures! I said before that the Main Street Bakery that closed looked like a cafeteria line, and I don't feel bad about that. Maybe the 1971 Bakery was more charming, but that wasn't what we had in 2012. I would take the new one 100 times out of 100. A googol times out of a googol.
I totally think there is room for an actual "Bakery" somewhere on MSUSA, though. Look at the growth of the organic and artisan food "industry". Disney is kinda sorta almost taking advantage of it with the handmade candy canes at DL and DCA and the windows where you can watch them make other candies throughout the year. Now that there is a new "breakfast" place on MSUSA, build something that actually is what the old Main Street Bakery wanted to be. I'm picturing something halfway between a show kitchen and a functioning restaurant. Low capacity, quality ingredients, handmade items. Give the new Bakery a Twitter account to tell people what's baking; social media meets turn of the (last) century. Make it actually look like an old timey bakery... people would go nuts.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Thanks for tracking down the pictures! I said before that the Main Street Bakery that closed looked like a cafeteria line, and I don't feel bad about that.

Yep, and that's probably why, in 3 coming up to 4 nearly 2 week visits, I've never stepped a foot in there. It seemed more buck than bang.

Now that there is a new "breakfast" place on MSUSA, build something that actually is what the old Main Street Bakery wanted to be. I'm picturing something halfway between a show kitchen and a functioning restaurant. Low capacity, quality ingredients, handmade items.

I love this idea!

Give the new Bakery a Twitter account to tell people what's baking; social media meets turn of the (last) century. Make it actually look like an old timey bakery... people would go nuts.

STOP! JUST STOP! Before you give them ideas!

<bzzzzzz>

Oh, I'm sorry, my MyMagicalExperience App on my iPhone just went off telling me they just had a new batch of hot cross buns come out at the Main Street Starbucks.

MAGICAL!

NEL

Thanks for tracking down the pictures! I said before that the Main Street Bakery that closed looked like a cafeteria line, and I don't feel bad about that. Maybe the 1971 Bakery was more charming, but that wasn't what we had in 2012. I would take the new one 100 times out of 100. A googol times out of a googol.
I totally think there is room for an actual "Bakery" somewhere on MSUSA, though. Look at the growth of the organic and artisan food "industry". Disney is kinda sorta almost taking advantage of it with the handmade candy canes at DL and DCA and the windows where you can watch them make other candies throughout the year. Now that there is a new "breakfast" place on MSUSA, build something that actually is what the old Main Street Bakery wanted to be. I'm picturing something halfway between a show kitchen and a functioning restaurant. Low capacity, quality ingredients, handmade items. Give the new Bakery a Twitter account to tell people what's baking; social media meets turn of the (last) century. Make it actually look like an old timey bakery... people would go nuts.
An old time bakery with a twitter account, lol. That does not seem theme appropriate. Seriously though you have a point. I think that would be very popular with the mainstream tourist and the hardcore fans but as you mentioned the main problem is capacity. To handle the popularity of something like that in the most visited theme park in the world within Ms USA is pretty much impossible. Although as They use to say , doing the impossible is kind of fun. Now a days they say , multiplying profit/profit margins is kinda fun.

Cosmic Commando

STOP! JUST STOP! Before you give them ideas!

<bzzzzzz>

Oh, I'm sorry, my MyMagicalExperience App on my iPhone just went off telling me they just had a new batch of hot cross buns come out at the Main Street Starbucks.

MAGICAL!

If only your parents had reserved one for you on the day you were born like a Packers fan signing their newborn up for season tickets, you might be enjoying one of those hot cross buns right now!

Cosmic Commando

An old time bakery with a twitter account, lol. That does not seem theme appropriate. Seriously though you have a point. I think that would be very popular with the mainstream tourist and the hardcore fans but as you mentioned the main problem is capacity. To handle the popularity of something like that in the most visited theme park in the world within Ms USA is pretty much impossible. Although as They use to say , doing the impossible is kind of fun. Now a days they say , multiplying profit/profit margins is kinda fun.

Hopefully it wouldn't be the cashier in her period costume tweeting everything out while on-stage, but I think it's a good idea. :)

Sometimes things are cooler because they're too small. I used the example before in this thread of the old versus new Patisserie in France. The old one was a cramped little hole-in-the-wall... and we all loved it. It wouldn't need to handle everyone, just make enough money to justify its existence. There would be show value to it, as well, but I think it could also be profitable even as a small venture. No attraction (maybe Carousel of Progress) has enough capacity to be experienced by every guest in the park except on the slowest of days. It's an interesting concept to think about: if you get to MK in the morning and want to ride Space Mountain, you can ride Space Mountain... it's not even a question in your mind. But, there is only enough physical capacity to handle maybe 1/2 or 1/3 of the guests in the park on an average day. If everyone wanted to ride Space Mountain, half of the people would be out of luck.

Tim_4

It's an interesting concept to think about: if you get to MK in the morning and want to ride Space Mountain, you can ride Space Mountain... it's not even a question in your mind. But, there is only enough physical capacity to handle maybe 1/2 or 1/3 of the guests in the park on an average day. If everyone wanted to ride Space Mountain, half of the people would be out of luck.
Not really a true indication. Space Mountain is about 100 guests every three minutes (per the "Unofficial Guide), which is 26,000 guests in a 9:00 AM - 10:00 PM day. If MK averages 48,000 guests per day, you have to remember that a good number of those are under the height limit, making them ineligible to ride even if they wanted to, while another few thousand are there just for the parade/fireworks. Even if everyone were tall enough, that's AT LEAST 54%. Back out the kiddies and it might be up as high as 75%, not even taking into account the "double counting" of guests who park hop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom