MagicBands WILL become a thing...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here are a couple of questions that I have that I don't know have been addressed yet:

• What happens if these get lost? How much is a replacement going to be or are they going to give you a KTTW card again?
  • How are they going to control people from using someone else's magicband? (Ex. If Mark has a AP friend that lives in Florida, how are they going to stop Mark from entering with his friends AP Magicband?)
  • Aren't these magicbands going to have to be put on your wrist and not on a bag, purse, or in your pocket due to the scenario above? They are made for your wrist, not your belt loop or bag. If Disney intended these to be put somewhere else, I would think they would make a keychain version. What do you think?
I personally like them and think that they will give me and my family a better experience (***DISCLAIMER*** that's my opinion, and I have read the others on here that don't like/want these, and I respect their opinions, so please don't bash me for liking them). Thank you.

For question 2, you still need to scan your finger like your do now.
For question 3, Wrist is the most logical place to put them since you can easily hold up your hand to scan them in stores or ride entrances, but I see no reason you couldn't take them off and keep in them in a bag or pocket if you wanted to.

novadad

I can answer the second and third question:
-You will still have to do a biometric scan before you enter (fingerprint) so that eliminates any sharing of a pass. Also, you name will be inscribed on the inside of the band.
-You can place the magic band anywhere you like to use it as long as you can put it near the scanner but I do agree a key chain is a pretty great idea. :)

I forgot about the biometric thing... I hate doing that to enter the parks but it will keep things in order. I didn't know that your name will be inside the band, that also is a good idea.

Definitely need a key chain option!!!

G00fyDad

I forgot about the biometric thing... I hate doing that to enter the parks but it will keep things in order. I didn't know that your name will be inside the band, that also is a good idea.

Definitely need a key chain option!!!

Your name won't be in the band. Only a (likely 16 digit) alphanumeric code. That is sent to the Disney server and matched up with your information there. ;)

And key chains would be awesome!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Your name won't be in the band. Only a (likely 16 digit) alphanumeric code. That is sent to the Disney server and matched up with your information there. ;)

And key chains would be awesome!

The original FCC application did show first names printed on the band, not sure if they plan to do actually do this, but it would be useful for families to prevent the bands from getting mixed up.

G00fyDad

The original FCC application did show first names printed on the band, not sure if they plan to do actually do this, but it would be useful for families to prevent the bands from getting mixed up.

Ohhh. Again, I misunderstand someone. I thought they meant that the persons full name was embedded in the information on the band (inside).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Ohhh. Again, I misunderstand someone. I thought they meant that the persons full name was embedded in the information on the band (inside).

This is the picture from the FCC application and it has the name on the inside of the band.

FASTPASS_Full_16988.jpg;width=638

msteel

How about My Magic Underpants? Difficult to lose, nobody will steal them, and you get to shake your groove thang in front of every reader... :D

Funny. The place where I work uses RFID enabled ID cards as keys for exterior doors. It is not uncommon to see a certain demographic scan their cards while they are still in their wallets, which are still in their back pockets. We're not really a "shake your groove" kind of place, but it does look odd if you don't know what is going on.

gccgrad1996

I guess I am being odd, but since I always travel in the summer (I am a teacher), when you all know the temperatures are horrible, I am dreading of how uncomfortable these might be all day on my wrist. I hate wearing watches in the hot and humid weather of Florida, you sweat everywhere. I can also see my kids wanting to constantly take them off because they are bothering them, and then I am going to need to carry something else in my bag. The card was nice and small and fit easily in my husband's wallet.
I have to say I do like the color choices, and I guess it supposed to make life easier. I just think for me it might be more of an inconvenience. We will see, I guess I will be wearing one in July.

Dasnowz

besides biometric i have heard facial recognition as well is coming.... has anyone else heard this? and no it was not a bus driver :p who told me.....

This is going to be cool. I don't know what everybody is so afraid of. Sure it's going to know everything we do and when we do it, but we live in the internet age. We're followed everywhere as is. This is going to be very futuristic and the upcoming generation will love the interactivity.

I'm disappointed in some of you on this board who otherwise have had an open-mind when it comes to this thing. Yes, it is primarily going to be used as a real-time data mine, but the data will ideally (TDO yes I know:rolleyes: ) be used to enhance the overall experience and will even allow issues such as daily guest flow to be analyzed allowing management to act accordingly to keep parks operating smoothly.

Skippy's Pal

This is going to be cool. I don't know what everybody is so afraid of. Sure it's going to know everything we do and when we do it, but we live in the internet age. We're followed everywhere as is. This is going to be very futuristic and the upcoming generation will love the interactivity.

I'm disappointed in some of you on this board who otherwise have had an open-mind when it comes to this thing. Yes, it is primarily going to be used as a real-time data mine, but the data will ideally (TDO yes I know:rolleyes: ) be used to enhance the overall experience and will even allow issues such as daily guest flow to be analyzed allowing management to act accordingly to keep parks operating smoothly.

Well, I think some of us are afraid of being restricted to only 3 Fast Passes per day in only one park, and the effective loss of Park Hopping. To say nothing of tens of thousands of vacations per day depending on a massive integrated data network being maintained at 100% accuracy by a company who is challenged to keep their website operating correctly.

Well, I think some of us are afraid of being restricted to only 3 Fast Passes per day in only one park, and the effective loss of Park Hopping. To say nothing of tens of thousands of vacations per day depending on a massive integrated data network being maintained at 100% accuracy by a company who is challenged to keep their website operating correctly.

Has the 3 Fastpass restriction been confirmed?

If so I completely revoke my previous post and will join the torch-wielding mob.

04.jpg

Rob562

besides biometric i have heard facial recognition as well is coming.... has anyone else heard this? and no it was not a bus driver :p who told me.....

The rumors/presumptions going around weren't that it was actual facial recognition that could identify a specific person, but rather a tracking system at the entrance area.

In a bit of armchair Imagineering, such a system would have a camera or cameras focused on a specific area (the area around one set of the new gate-free entrances). This area would then be monitored by a CM with an iPad or at a podium.

As a Guest walked into the camera's field of view, the system would start to track that individual by placing a yellow dot on their head on the screen. When it detected that the person had walked over to one of the Mickey head posts and successfully registered a valid entry into the park, their dot on the CMs screen would turn green until the person exited the camera's field of view into the park.
But, if a yellow-dotted Guest kept on walking into the park and reached a pre-determined point without stopping to scan their park admission, their dot would turn red and the CM would be alerted to intercept the Guest and direct them back to the reader post to scan their ticket.

Theoretically the system could take a still photo of the person's face to help the CM identify which Guest they're dealing with.

Such a system would cut down on the number of CMs required to man each of the sections of the new entrances, and would help them keep track of who has and has not actually scanned their tickets, especially when a large group is walking up to the entrance all at once.

This is all theoretical, of course, though Disney Research has been working on systems like this...

-Rob

Todd L

With the huge investment Disney made you gotta think they are gonna utilize this band to regulate transportation, tickets, hard ticket partys, Pool access, ect,ect.

To install a reader at a bus terminal, Pool, Bar, Gate or parking lot is very easy and I gotta think they have very big plans for this rfid technology .

This thing could be the digital Cop of wdw and while I dont have a problem with it i think many people would.

It could keep people out of Anything that the wdw management deems not accesable to the user....

Not staying at Akv...No access To the pools.

Not a resort guest ....no acess to resort transportation.

Im being specific but I think you get the drift...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom