MagicBands WILL become a thing...

Buried20KLeague

I don't think it will have the impact on lines that you do. But I can only wait, hope, and see later if I am right. Speculating on the increase of standby lines at this point isn't something I want to do. However, no offence, but I truly hope you are 100% wrong. ;)

I hope I'm 100% wrong too... But the problem is... I know I'm right.

You know how?

The new ques they're building. They're building ques meant to entertain like never before. The new graveyard. The new pirates que. The Mermaid que. Big Thunder's que. There's no way they would be spending that kind of money on the graveyard at the HM (for example) if they didn't know exactly what it was going to do to the standby lines when FP is added and felt it was necessary.

Karenb64

I don't think it will have the impact on lines that you do. But I can only wait, hope, and see later if I am right. Speculating on the increase of standby lines at this point isn't something I want to do. However, no offence, but I truly hope you are 100% wrong. ;)
I hope he is wrong too, but I don't think so. Don't you think that the fact the Disney is putting money into new interactive stand by lines means they know more of us will be standing in these lines?

Sue_Vongello

Most replies here are so focused on FP+ that you are missing the broader purpose and implication, making it more likely that you will spend more money at the parks. They monetize this investment through direct marketing based on your activities and purchases. When you buy the monorail playset, offers to complete the set with the polynesian playset expansion are not far behind. The magic band along with improvements to integrating systems and data engineering creates a huge opportunity for the company to better understand its customers and determine how best to satisfy and squeeze them. Just look at the disney careers page and you will see where this is headed. Count the number of openings for data analytics types of positions. I'm not suggesting its wrong or malicious, I admire them for their savvy.

Another great point. It irks me when people support Disney's claim that this was all designed to "enhance the guest experience" ... I just can't believe anyone would buy into that assertion as the main thrust for this project.

The way this was designed to me shows that it is all about increasing existing profit centers and creating new ones, data mining, and marketing and "enhancing the guest experience" was like an afterthought that helped them sell to us what they really wanted to do. I envision it like this ... someone in the initial meetings said something like, "hey people won't like being data mined." And then another exec said, "oh yea, well let's sell them fancy bands and tell them it will make their trips easier and more efficient ... we could say it enhances their experience!!" "OOOOOO good wording!"

I'm not saying it can't or won't enhance some people's experience but no way was this why it was created ... especially looking at the price tag and their reluctance to spend that kind of money to ACTUALLY enhance the guest experience with new attractions.

luv

I kind of like that they share info. It is sometimes annoying - if I buy a dog bed for a friend I get inundated with dog catalogs I don't want. I got on a mailing list for witches, somehow, and got weird witch catalogs. Killing trees and taking up space in landfills.

But generally I like it. If I take up a new hobby - say, gardening - I like getting info on gardening books, etc.

G00fyDad

I hope he is wrong too, but I don't think so. Don't you think that the fact the Disney is putting money into new interactive stand by lines means they know more of us will be standing in these lines?

That is a fair point. ;) I just have to hope that it isn't as impacting as he says during my trip. I know, selfish, but my trip is all about me. :D All in all, the trips have been getting hotter, and more crowded for years now so I guess having to stand in longer lines is going to be a reality sooner or later anyway.

G00fyDad

I hope I'm 100% wrong too... But the problem is... I know I'm right.

You know how?

The new ques they're building. They're building ques meant to entertain like never before. The new graveyard. The new pirates que. The Mermaid que. Big Thunder's que. There's no way they would be spending that kind of money on the graveyard at the HM (for example) if they didn't know exactly what it was going to do to the standby lines when FP is added and felt it was necessary.

I wish there was an unlike button. :( Not for your comment, but for that stark reality check. Let me dream man! ;)

Sarah Rae

I don't feel like reading all the pages of all of these threads, but does anyone know when we can expect these to be rolled out? My trip is at the beginning of May and my fam wants them :)

AngryEyes

I'm actually pretty surprised that anyone is excited about the bands in either direction. Cool little souvenir, was happy enough with the card...whatever. I don't see anything to get worked up about either way.

My kidlets may or may not be thrilled about wearing them, I have no idea, but they will do so, because they will be told how important they are. Things will go fine and I won't have to carry 5 KTTW.

I guess I'll miss having a bunch of fastpasses each day, but on the other hand, I don't have to crisscross the park as much to get them.

People can steal my information every bit as easily whether I'm wearing a band or not, so that's not an issue.

Tan lines might be annoying, but come on, it's not a tattoo.

I don't know if I could be more in the middle on a topic. I guess they're coming, regardless, so, yeah, whatever.

I'd probably rather have some new rides, I guess.

muteki

Most replies here are so focused on FP+ that you are missing the broader purpose and implication, making it more likely that you will spend more money at the parks. They monetize this investment through direct marketing based on your activities and purchases. When you buy the monorail playset, offers to complete the set with the polynesian playset expansion are not far behind. The magic band along with improvements to integrating systems and data engineering creates a huge opportunity for the company to better understand its customers and determine how best to satisfy and squeeze them. Just look at the disney careers page and you will see where this is headed. Count the number of openings for data analytics types of positions. I'm not suggesting its wrong or malicious, I admire them for their savvy.

Really though, what stopped them from doing this before? They had all the info necessary to make these connections, why is a Magicband necessary?

My kidlets may or may not be thrilled about wearing them, I have no idea, but they will do so, because they will be told how important they are. Things will go fine and I won't have to carry 5 KTTW.

Until one of them falls off a wrist and gets lost...then you are back to carrying everything again.

AngryEyes

Until one of them falls off a wrist and gets lost...then you are back to carrying everything again.

Yeah, but that could happen just as easily with a card. I don't know everyone else's children, but it's highly unlikely that one of my guys would lose such a thing, once the importance was explained to them. I suspect most children would be the same way. Maybe not, I don't know.

Anyway, someone can lose a card just as easily as a wristband.

Todd L

I know you meant the WDW Resort as a whole, but also know someone will read that and think "hotel" when they see "resort" and worry that they can't use the monorail or the busses or whathaveyou. :)

Anyone who visits Disney is a guest of the WDW Resort and is welcome to use the Disney transportation. You do not need to stay in a Disney hotel to use it! Hotel guests, day guests, everyone can use the Disney transportation! :)
I guess the point that Im trying to make is , What the immediate plans are for The band may be expanded upon and within a year or so we may all see big changes brought in with this technology!!

Todd L

It's not as easy as just sticking readers anywhere... They also have to be STAFFED. That's an ongoing cost. And a significant one, I might add.

They'll add this where they have to in order to protect profits. Park entrances, DQ, parties, maybe mini golf or golf courses. They're not going to spend tens of thousands of dollars a year gating locations they don't collect revenue from directly, like resort pools or buses.

I would think that in the early stages that may be true But I wont be surprised to see the management utilize this device for everything they think they can and If it works out well initially we may all be in for big changes in the very near future.

Cody5242

I know you meant the WDW Resort as a whole, but also know someone will read that and think "hotel" when they see "resort" and worry that they can't use the monorail or the busses or whathaveyou. :)

Anyone who visits Disney is a guest of the WDW Resort and is welcome to use the Disney transportation. You do not need to stay in a Disney hotel to use it! Hotel guests, day guests, everyone can use the Disney transportation! :)
I love taking the buses to the different resorts during Christmas time

Genie of the Lamp

Here's a question I have and don't know if it was brought up or not but kinda relates to opting in or not. Let's say you're a traveling family of 4 getting ready to plan your WDW vacation for let's say 2015 lodging at BCR. Now, when you're going through the process of booking your WDW vacation and you get to the point where you are asked if you want to purchase Magicbands for your group, will everyone in your traveling party have to purchase/wear a magic band or can certain members elect to not wear one while other members of your party register for their magicbands? To rephrase, would it be eligible and be totally acceptable if I chose to not wear a magicband (I'd use the RFID Card/Ticket) while my other family members purchase/wear a magicband?

Buried20KLeague

I would think that in the early stages that may be true But I wont be surprised to see the management utilize this device for everything they think they can and If it works out well initially we may all be in for big changes in the very near future.

Any scanning station has to be staffed in some way. Have you seen how many issues there are with people using the bio scanners? It's constant. And on top of that, it'll have to be someone they trust (read: pay enough) to man those locations because they'll be able to override a negative indicator.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom