MagicBands WILL become a thing...

disneyeater

My bigger issue is regarding Disney tipping the tables in the directions they so choose more than anything. I don't like that my experience will be less than someone else's and I don't have much control over it, or that I'll have to "pay to play".

And I know it's speculation. We don't know who will benefit, or how. But it's going to happen.

If Disney goes that direction, you have control over it. You can pay. That is your option. Just like you can pay for VIP experiences now, you can pay for them later.

NormC

The bands are just one part of MM+ which is one part of Next Gen which is a huge infrastructure roll out across all parks, resorts and DTD which as touted has cost them at least 1.5B.

EpcotLover77

I just wanted to add an idea of why someone may not want to wear a wristband of any kind. There are people who have sensory issues who cannot tolerate certain things, like for example specific fabrics, human touches, or wristbands. These are just examples off the top of my head. A friend has a son with autism & I doubt that he would tolerate a MyMagic+ wristband. I understand that as far as I have read here, after reading the entire thread, he would not be excluded from anything yet, and he could possibly wear the band differently, like on a bag strap, or even in his pocket. But if in the future there are offerings that require a guest to wear the band on their wrist, that will be a real problem for anyone with certain sensory issues.

disneyeater

I just wanted to add an idea of why someone may not want to wear a wristband of any kind. There are people who have sensory issues who cannot tolerate certain things, like for example specific fabrics, human touches, or wristbands. These are just examples off the top of my head. A friend has a son with autism & I doubt that he would tolerate a MyMagic+ wristband. I understand that as far as I have read here, after reading the entire thread, he would not be excluded from anything yet, and he could possibly wear the band differently, like on a bag strap, or even in his pocket. But if in the future there are offerings that require a guest to wear the band on their wrist, that will be a real problem for anyone with certain sensory issues.

I don't think MM+ = wristband. I am sure there will always be another option such as a ticket.

SirLink

"Ponzi Scheme: an investment swindle in which some early investors are paid off with money put up by later ones in order to encourage more and bigger risks." Not sure how this fits the definition.

It fits perfectly, if you think of it as a time investment rather than monetary investment...

EpcotLover77

I don't think MM+ = wristband. I am sure there will always be another option such as a ticket.

I hope you are right! It would be sad if things ever got to the point where one HAD to wear the wristband to take advantage of everything the program has to offer. I understand that at this point one doesn't HAVE to wear it, and that's great. Just wanted to put it out there that some people don't have a choice; they cannot wear bands.

openendedsky

There's also sensory processing disorder.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Agree. Hence my use of the word "potential." I was responding to a post speculating about the potential for shorter lines. The opposite is also possible.

Yeah - we're in the dark :)

My theory is they will basically make it so you can always get a FP+.. maybe not for the time you want.. but a design criteria that if you have FP+ 'tokens' you should be able to get the attraction. I mean.. they already don't care that the FP line makes the stand-by goto a standstill... so why do we think they would care more now?

The control in the system to ensure chaos doesn't happen is the # of FP+ 'tokens' out there.

But we have no real way of knowing.. and lets face it.. when the system does go live.. everyone will still complain about the stand-by line and how many FP+s users there are regardless of having facts or not :) :D I'm sure Disney will be tweaking the system frequently and we'll never know.

Prince-1

Some people indicate the the MagicBand will suck (excuse the language) and that they will pass the offer to have such a device. But will they really when it looks as tempting as this? The picture explains all...
8575761903_c59fcb6793_b.jpg

Yes still gonna pass.

lazyboy97o

We all understand that. But the $1.5b is driven primarily by the bands and what they "stand for" and the infrastructure required to support it. Very little of the $1.5b would be necessary without those bands and everything having to do with them.

Therefore, I shall continue to use the $1.5b amount.
Not really. RFID entry is already part of the hotel industry and will probably come standard. And since Disney has the common cards already it makes sense to extend the use of the technology to admission and purchases like is used by the existing magnetic strips.

That said, I don't doubt that part of the cost is due to letting the infrastructure age and therefore catching up now costs more.

Yeah - we're in the dark :)

My theory is they will basically make it so you can always get a FP+.. maybe not for the time you want.. but a design criteria that if you have FP+ 'tokens' you should be able to get the attraction. I mean.. they already don't care that the FP line makes the stand-by goto a standstill... so why do we think they would care more now?

The control in the system to ensure chaos doesn't happen is the # of FP+ 'tokens' out there.

But we have no real way of knowing.. and lets face it.. when the system does go live.. everyone will still complain about the stand-by line and how many FP+s users there are regardless of having facts or not :) :D I'm sure Disney will be tweaking the system frequently and we'll never know.
I still have a very hard time believing that Disney will not fall into doing more planned reservations than not. It just doesn't fit their current operational direction.

Virtual Toad

A bit of a giant leap, but with all the problems we hear over here about the problems schools state side are having I would have thought this would have been welcomed.

Everything here seems driven by fear, it has been since 9/11. I fear for my kids' safety all the time, but I also want them to be able to learn to make decisions and fend for themselves as they develop into adulthood. I don't think having them wear a tracking device necessarily makes them any safer. But fear is a strong emotion, and companies who recognize this can and will try to cash in on those fears in the name of safety and security. At the end of the day it's all about the money.

And while it may be a bit of a leap, it's not much of one. Mandatory RFID tracking of students is already being attempted in Texas and I'm sure the companies that produce this technology see a huge market in selling it to school systems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom