MagicBands WILL become a thing...

djlaosc

Good point! The hotel safe at the front desk? My point is this they are not as cumbersome and pemanent as most people think. It seems the perception by some is that is is simply a disposble wristband like one would receive at a bar, nightclub or hospital. The RF range is apparently not that great either if you literally have to place the band up against the reader for it to work not very effective for tracking. BTW most companies can track you by your credit or debit card transactions anyhow so they can easily see your spending habbits. that is why they have disclaimers about the data they collect from you not being sold to outside vendors.

If you're going to have to ask the hotel staff to put it in their safe every time you go offsite, then some could possibly see them as being cumbersome... ;)

I don't think they're permanent, I basically just think that they are like a watch, and I don't wear a watch in Florida, so why would I want to wear another wristband?

I can understand how they could be useful for some people, and if they help them, then great, but for the way that we holiday (we don't charge to the KTTW, someone generally stays with our things at the waterparks), then unless the bands do something amazing in the parks, they aren't an improvement on the current KTTWs for us, and in fact, could possibly be seen as worse for us...

G00fyDad

I'm not mad at goofydad. :)

It's the general idea that there is something wrong with those of us who don't want to wear the things that is irksome, to say the least.

Actually it is the other way around. The general idea is that there are those that are ticked off at having to wear one regardless of how many times, or how many ways they have been told that they do not have to take a band.

It usually goes something like this:

(Rational person): "These bands are going to be awesome!"
(Freaked out): "I don't want to wear one!!"
(Rational person): "You don't have to."
(Freaked out): "I said that I am NOT wearing one!"
(Rational person): "Fine, you don't have to."
(Freaked out): "I can't believe Disney is going to try to force me to take a band!"
(Rational person): "They aren't."
(Freaked out): "I am going to start cancelling trips when they do this!"
(Rational person): "They aren't going to do anything."
(Freaked out): "I just don't see why they are going to make me take something that I don't want."
(Rational person): "Again, they won't."
(Freaked out): "There is NOTHING wrong with NOT wanting a band!"
(Rational person): [Places hands on forehead and tries to deaden a coming headache....]

Vader2112

If you're going to have to ask the hotel staff to put it in their safe every time you go offsite, then some could possibly see them as being cumbersome... ;)

I don't think they're permanent, I basically just think that they are like a watch, and I don't wear a watch in Florida, so why would I want to wear another wristband?

I can understand how they could be useful for some people, and if they help them, then great, but for the way that we holiday (we don't charge to the KTTW, someone generally stays with our things at the waterparks), then unless the bands do something amazing in the parks, they aren't an improvement on the current KTTWs for us, and in fact, could possibly be seen as worse for us...
I can understand wher you are coming from and I have my own reservations about associating my AP with a band as I do not want charging ability associated with it. Or ne of my kids complaing that they are tired of wearing it and I have to carry it around all day. I have the RF card and so far all it does is get me in quicker than waiting for a line at a turnstile but I do see tremendous upside to it. I am surprised that they have not generated an easy pass type device for AP holders or resort guests with a rental to cut down on the traffic around the parking lot toll booths.

Vader2112

So you want to do that every time you go offsite?
it is also easier for me to say as when I go to and stay WDW I do not go offiste. I like to stay in the bubble. It also is not clear to me if there is going to be an additional charge for the "priviallage" of having a Magic Band. Several conflicting statemments about this.

luv

Actually it is the other way around. The general idea is that there are those that are ticked off at having to wear one regardless of how many times, or how many ways they have been told that they do not have to take a band.

It usually goes something like this:

(Rational person): "These bands are going to be awesome!"
(Freaked out): "I don't want to wear one!!"
(Rational person): "You don't have to."
(Freaked out): "I said that I am NOT wearing one!"
(Rational person): "Fine, you don't have to."
(Freaked out): "I can't believe Disney is going to try to force me to take a band!"
(Rational person): "They aren't."
(Freaked out): "I am going to start cancelling trips when they do this!"
(Rational person): "They aren't going to do anything."
(Freaked out): "I just don't see why they are going to make me take something that I don't want."
(Rational person): "Again, they won't."
(Freaked out): "There is NOTHING wrong with NOT wanting a band!"
(Rational person): [Places hands on forehead and tries to deaden a coming headache....]
I must disagree that those who don't want to wear bands are irrational and stupid.

But I'll stop there.

bhg469

I don't plan on using this as a watch because I don't wear one in florida either. I will tak the band and loop it on my belt or backpack, heck the molle webbing on my bag should be a great place to throw it. I am more protective of my ticket and I will put it in my wallet every time to make sure i don't lose it. This will be much easier for me to grab and flash whatever reader I need to. It may be bigger but it is also more convenient for me.

G00fyDad

I must disagree that those who don't want to wear bands are irrational and stupid.

But I'll stop there.

Okay. It's probably good that you are stopping there. No one ever said they were stupid, well, except you just then. But the people that come onto these boards, and after being told by God and everyone that they are not going to be forced into wearing one of the bands, keeps saying that they are upset over the idea of having to wear one, is yes.... irrational. Just let it go. You don't have to wear one, no one is telling you that you have to, and no one is bringing that subject up over and over again except those that are against the bands.

thomas998

I do not think it is possible since you basically have to press it up against the reader for it to read.

I do however remember when the first US passports with RID chips in them came out they claimed that you had to be within so many inches of a reader... only to then see some clever hackers showing how they could read your passport from several yards away.

I put little faith in the full story being disclosed by any business, especially when the answer might cause some to get upset.

thomas998

In a queue - yes. Near store entrances/exits - yes. Used for food or shopping - yes. Most of this can be done now, to a degree with the KTTW card.

Many believe that this system won't have the power to track every footstep of each person in the park, but rough and general movements - sure.

In other words, when I enter and exit the park, what rides I go on, what stores and eateries I visit, what attractions I go on and how long I was in queue.

I'm only guessing that with a little tweaking to the system and the installation of a few special receivers/transmitters that they should be able to create imaginary lines to segment the park and then track movement when you passed those imaginary lines... If I were heading Disney's marketing group I would love to know how long Uncle Joe spent walking down mainstreet, which shop windows caused him to pause, which ones caused him to actually go inside... If the current bands don't have the technology to allow it, I would be asking, no begging, them to install slightly different tech to make sure I could do it.

cba

Honestly, this is probably going to be a "wait and see" thing. There are different opinions of what people think about putting bands on their wrists, and I say believe what you believe. Since I haven't tried them, I don't know if I'm going to like them. They seem pretty cool, but I may be disappointed when I actually try them. Right now I'm staying neutral.

G00fyDad

Honestly, this is probably going to be a "wait and see" thing. There are different opinions of what people think about putting bands on their wrists, and I say believe what you believe. Since I haven't tried them, I don't know if I'm going to like them. They seem pretty cool, but I may be disappointed when I actually try them. Right now I'm staying neutral.

I would like to stay neutral too, but I am too geeked out over these things. Of course I may get there, put the thing on, and then get sick of it two days later. LOL I guess I need to practice "I'm sorry. I seem to have lost my band. Can I get an RFID KttW card?" LOL

Prince-1

I've worn one and they aren't uncomfortable. They have plenty of holes where you can adjust it to fit your wrist and it is very light weight. I just don't like wearing anything on my wrist so I will choose to use the card for as long as they have both options.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Both of these could be seen as bad examples as well...

EMH Wristbands - have to wear for a maximum of "3 hours + however long it takes to find a pair of scissors to cut it off"
Local Bar or Restaurants will have a short amount of time to have to be worn as well...

How about any outdoor festival, etc? Bands, even those not really made for comfort are a common place thing.. and people survive without being scarred or hurt by the trama the band would cause them. The water parks here all require them and have been for years. Surprisingly.. no one walks out with emotional damage from it all.

These bands are not hermetically sealed to you - you can remove them if they are bothering you. And lets be real.. the complaints about the bands are not so much about the discomfort.. but about the very notion of being 'forced' to wear this and the discomfort stuff is just excuses to try to justify it. No one is being forced to wear it.. and the discomfort stuff is petty and not unique.

Tan lines? Oh please.. how many of us complain that being forced to wear tennis shoes because Disney makes us walk so much is DREADFUL because of our tan lines? Or how many up till now have been complaining about the DREADFUL tan lines their sunglasses give them? Or how many have bitched that Disney's dress code makes us all have horrible farmer tans? This is made up drama.

You also don't have to wear these outside of where you are supposed to use them (or on the way home) - if you stay onsite and if you go to Universal/SeaWorld/Mall, you're going to have to take your MagicBand with you (just like your ticket/RFID Card), but your MagicBand will not fit in your wallet like you card will, so you're either going to have to wear it (identifying yourself as a tourist), or you're going to have to put it in your pocket (which will take more room than the card will)

What? Are you living out of a bag with only the clothes on your back? Do you not have a car, bag, or any other place to put things? Do you wear your sunglasses at night because you had to take them with you and you had no where else to put them?

I've never been skiing, but if the tags are anything like the MagicBand, then they're probably going to be covered up by your layers, so again, sun won't count, sweat might (because of the layers), and again, you only have to wear it while you're there.

You have to wear them externally, and they are quite large ... about 3"x3" square. And everyone has to wear the goofy things, even tho they flap around, are fashionably objectable, and generally a nuisance. And you know what... not only do people accept it, but they FLAUNT them. People like keeping all their tags on their coat to show how frequent the ski... they leave them on their coat after the trip so other people know they ski and where they've been, etc. And know what... some people will likely do the same thing with their magic bands, etc. People will wear them proud flaunting they've recently been to WDW, etc.

This is all manufactured drama - these bands are not going to be obtrusive, cause you to be two colored, or mark you with the number of the beast.

Remember how many people used to wear those livestrong braclets just recently? Or support breast cancer, or whatever else. People would wear those full time... and gasp.. they survived and even thrived!

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you want to sit around insulting people who don't want to wear wristbands, I should not attempt to argue about the fact that it is perfectly fine and not at all ridiculous to not want to wear one or point out the very valid reasons for not wanting one. It was silly of me to do it.

You must have skipped the part where I said...
For those who don't want the band.. don't use it.

And if you think your reasons are anything but personal - justify them against legitimate similar scenarios. Every excuse I've seen does not hold up to scrutiny of things the posters accept everywhere else. It's a double standard... made up to justify their personal beliefs. Like I said.. you don't have to like them, you don't have to use them. But lets not manufacture drama to justify it and project elsewhere. I don't like fish and I won't eat it. I don't have to justify it nor explain it. It's just my personal preference. It stands on its own.

G00fyDad

You must have skipped the part where I said...

And if you think your reasons are anything but personal - justify them against legitimate similar scenarios. Every excuse I've seen does not hold up to scrutiny of things the posters accept everywhere else. It's a double standard... made up to justify their personal beliefs. Like I said.. you don't have to like them, you don't have to use them. But lets not manufacture drama to justify it and project elsewhere. I don't like fish and I won't eat it. I don't have to justify it nor explain it. It's just my personal preference. It stands on its own.

^^ A truer statement has not been made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom