MagicBands WILL become a thing...

Prince-1

I'll happily have one of these bands if it stops me having to worry about carrying my card round with me. It doesn't look any different to the sort of thing you wear when on an all inclusive holiday & assuming they are waterproof & you can use them for dining, entry, charging etc I see no problem at all.

I still don't understand how having a paper thin card in your pocket is an issue?? It's smaller and lighter then the band and does the same thing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I still don't understand how having a paper thin card in your pocket is an issue?? It's smaller and lighter then the band and does the same thing.

every time you cycle things in your pockets... you risk dropping something
you can have more than one thing in your pocket...
etc

You're asking why 'doing something' is harder than 'doing nothing' - well I think the answer is obvious. One requires getting things out of your pocket or equivalent.. the other does not.

RSoxNo1

I'm still waiting for confirmation that it's an either/or situation, that you can either have access to 3 FP+ reservations in advance, or normal access to the day of system (as many as you can get based on current distribution rules).

CDavid

etc

You're asking why 'doing something' is harder than 'doing nothing' - well I think the answer is obvious. One requires getting things out of your pocket or equivalent.. the other does not.

But is there really that much work required - that much of an inconvenience - to fish a card out of your pocket that you would rather wear a band around your wrist all the time? Really?

I just don't get it.

G00fyDad

This whole card vs band argument is pretty silly. If you want a band, take one. If not, don't. Can you lose something from your pocket by reaching in and out a bunch of times? Yes. Has it been a serious issue for folks in the past? Not really. Are the bands neat to some? yes. Ugly to others? Yes. Will I wear one? Yes. Will I still take a wallet? Yes. The argument for the cards over the bands is no more valid than the argument for the band over the cards. These things appeal to some, and not to some. Don't get offended by others liking the bands. Just because you may not like the idea of the bands does not mean they aren't going to fly off the shelves. The response for these has been pretty positive so far, at least by those that realize that they don't have to take them. I am getting a green one personalized with Goofy as soon as they allow me to. (If they come out before our trip). I love these things. If you don't like them then I honestly do respect your opinion on them, just don't get snarky about my opinion. :D

RunnerEd

etc

That may be so but is dropping your room key/park pass a $1.5 billion problem, especially for a stagnant park? For some they think the whole thing is a great investment. For others, me included, it seems like a good idea only if the parks were well maintained with new attractions and areas coming online. Since the parks are not doing that, it seems like a colossal failure.

GrumpyFan

I heard not until the fall of 2013.Recently there was an article in the Orlando Business Journal that Disney is lobbying to have a law changed defining a multiple day theme park ticket and this may be part of the delay.
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/morning_call/2013/03/disney-lobbies-to-rewrite-ticket-law.html

Sounds like maybe they discovered that they couldn't legally prevent people from transferring these nor keep them out of the hands of scammers/re-sellers. Either that, or they have already made a bunch of the new bands and they're ready to go, but they discovered that without stamping "NON-TRANSFERRABLE" on them, they are (legally?) open game for the re-sellers.

Snipped from the article:

The legislation (HB 1353) would redefine "multiuse tickets," a term that includes theme-park passes valid for admission to more than one park or on more than one day. The definition of such tickets would be expanded beyond the conventional printed media to cover any "right designed for admission."

It would make another subtle change as well. Right now, it is illegal to resell or transfer a multiuse theme-park pass to someone else after it has been used at least once — but only as long as a phrase such as "nontransferable; must be used by the same person on all days" is printed somewhere on the pass.

The bill would flip that. Instead, it would be illegal to resell any such pass, unless the ticket or venue owner's website clearly say the pass may be used by more than one person.

That change could help Disney in a couple of ways. Printing such warnings will become more cumbersome as the resort moves away from paper passes to wristbands. And unsightly legalese could undermine the aesthetics of the wristbands, which Disney hopes to turn into collectible souvenirs by selling customizable styles and accessories.

It would appear that until this bill or something similar is passed, MagicBands may be on hold.

Vader2112

That may be so but is dropping your room key/park pass a $1.5 billion problem, especially for a stagnant park? For some they think the whole thing is a great investment. For others, me included, it seems like a good idea only if the parks were well maintained with new attractions and areas coming online. Since the parks are not doing that, it seems like a colossal failure.
I think they are developing the tech at the cost in order to sell it or lease it out. That is where the money will be plus I'm sure a nice per day increase will be coming along with these nicely packaged bands.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sounds like maybe they discovered that they couldn't legally prevent people from transferring these nor keep them out of the hands of scammers/re-sellers. Either that, or they have already made a bunch of the new bands and they're ready to go, but they discovered that without stamping "NON-TRANSFERRABLE" on them, they are (legally?) open game for the re-sellers.

Snipped from the article:

The FCC pictures already showed that - and the terms of service cover it too. This isn't a blocker for Disney - this is the bigger picture moves. About tightening things up, getting teeth in the enforcement, changing some of the requirements to err to their favor, etc.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But is there really that much work required - that much of an inconvenience - to fish a card out of your pocket that you would rather wear a band around your wrist all the time? Really?

I just don't get it.

Is wearing a band all that difficult? Really?

It's freaking hysterical... people wear the stupid buttons with pride.. gaudy pins... stupid laynards.. and put up with things like biometrics... but wear a BAND? OMFG... that crosses the line!!!!

Vader2112

Is wearing a band all that difficult? Really?

It's freaking hysterical... people wear the stupid buttons with pride.. gaudy pins... stupid laynards.. and put up with things like biometrics... but wear a BAND? OMFG... that crosses the line!!!!
It is just paranoia about being tracked through the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom