MagicBands WILL become a thing...

All Disney All The Time

Is Toy Story Mania the Cornucopia?

I have been thinking that Fastpass+ may actually improve our Brazilian tour group problem a bit--they shouldn't be able to get 50 FPs at once for their entire group any more, I would think. There is nothing worse than getting in line for a FP and realizing the guy in front of you is a tour group leader with no fewer than 50 park passes to scan...and then knowing you'll get to have your wait sky-rocket when you get in the Return line a couple hours later behind 50 obnoxious teenagers pretending they don't speak English and therefore can do whatever they want.
The Official Disney Store is the Cornucopia (or maybe MouseGear is).
"Hunger Games" has so many things in common with Disney that the author of the books must be a fan. Even the basic story line: Young woman/girl/female from an impoverished background undergoes a series of trials, tribulations and "adventures" to finally overcome them and find her fella. She then gets the fancy dress and the "crown" and is recognized as The Princess, ie "Winner of the 74th Hunger Games".

G00fyDad

I think the problem that will develop is that there won't be Fastpass kiosks any more. Presumably the cards would be RFID-imbedded, too? You are certainly opting out of pre-reserving FP if you don't agree to the bands and will be left with the scraps day-of. But, there will still be perceived value for the newbie who's able to get a "coveted" FP for an E-Ticket like Spaceship Earth or Pirates...

What I mean is, the cards already have RFID (or will very soon), so why can you not tie your FP+'s to that? You probably will be able to. Disney wants everyone to use FP+ and they know that not everyone is going to be geeking out over these bands. So they will likely have the option to use the card for FP+.

luv

I think the problem that will develop is that there won't be Fastpass kiosks any more. Presumably the cards would be RFID-imbedded, too?
They already are. They are switching AP people over from the paper tickets to plastic RFID cards. It works fine at the RFID turnstile and is (as of now) also used in the FP machine.

ToTBellHop

See that's why I was asking ... because we aren't sure yet, are we? I mean we have so little information about this ... and to me, everything they have done all along the way with this gives us the illusion of choice but really there is no choice ... example: if you want the full experience you have to opt in ...

But if the cards work with same benefits and functionality too then great, we have two options.
They won't. Disney would not have gone through the expense of the MagicBands and their functionality if you could just opt out and get the same benefits from a park ticket. There certainly will be added benefits of the MagicBand that a small number of people (almost all of whom are on this site and very vocal) will knowingly miss out on.

Tim_4

... example: if you want the full experience you have to opt in ...
I get what you're saying but is it really that different than the current ecosystem? If you want EMH or DME you "opt in" to staying on property. If you want to charge to your room, you "opt in" to link a credit card to your KTTW card. If you want a fastpass, you "opt" to walk to the attraction and stick your ticket in the machine.

Todd L

Say what....??
I get one card; it's room key, charge card. and park pass.
I leave my cash, and wallet in the safe in the room.

Do not look like a dork, wearing a cheap piece of plastic......
No brainer!!!

To each their own I guess...Im secure enough to not worry what anyone thinks!! If it cuts down on waits at the turnstiles then who cares?? Seems really easy and ill at least give it a try!!

G00fyDad

They won't. Disney would not have gone through the expense of the MagicBands and their functionality if you could just opt out and get the same benefits from a park ticket. There certainly will be added benefits of the MagicBand that a small number of people (almost all of whom are on this site and very vocal) will knowingly miss out on.

True but the card will still work with FP+ and get you into your room. You just wouldn't have the personal touches on attractions that the band will give.

lazyboy97o

Since the band is just a medium for carrying the tech, then perhaps Disney will eventually create various "types" of devices. Something like that might actually catch on, necklaces, lanyards, perhaps even configured into various toys for children could be an extra incentive for choosing this option. I'm just throwing stuff out there. I'm not particular either way. I'll have to see and maybe try it out for myself once I'm able to get back down there.
I'm far more curious to see what other people can do by removing the electronics and Disney's response to these modifications.

BoarderPhreak

There's a long range RFID component that triggers certain elements of Next Gen. It's not just "stick your card next to the reader."
Yeah, just saw this explanation...

"The radio of the device, Model MB-R1G1, is a wrist worn arm band that transmits a 2.4 GHz signal to an indoor wireless infrastructure. The PCB assembly is potted in plastic and completely overmolded with thermal plastic polyurethane. The band has no on off switch and is powered with a non-replaceable coin cell. The PCB assembly also includes a passive UHF RFID tag radio and a passive HF RFID tag radio."

ToTBellHop

True but the card will still work with FP+ and get you into your room. You just wouldn't have the personal touches on attractions that the band will give.
Yes. What remains to be seen (or explained--though they may never explain it) is how many FPs will be left day-of for those opting out of MM+. One would assume that they would have enough FPs reserved for MM+ that guests booking resort stays will have lots of options for premium FPs (and not just FPs for Spaceship Earth or the Nemo pre-show ride). I'm sure at least part of the drive for nextgen is creating a perceived additional value to staying on property.

All Disney All The Time

Oh, I can see that. "But daddy, the bracelet's so heavy I can't lift my arm now."
Parents already load up like they are trekking across The Gobi Desert. It's as if they are afraid of dying of dehydration and starvation if they go more than 10 ft. without their own bottled water and apple slices. Some of the strollers got to weigh 200 lb. and the backpacks at least 70 lb.
I "carry" my wallet and the digital camera, the wife carries the cell phone. I'm at WDW not a backcountry camping trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom