MagicBand+ announced

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
This. Micro is bad and is going away, thankfully.

While I would've liked to see wireless or at least USB C, pogo pins are fine enough. The larger offender is the 6" cable. Should've been a foot at least so a charger block won't be as cluttered.
I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't experience this outlet shortage when I travel. What the heck are people charging?

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't experience this outlet shortage when I travel. What the heck are people charging?
You're not alone, only thing I charge every night is my phone, my ear pods every 2-3 days. I guess things could get 'crowded' if it's a family of four sharing a room, and everybody has a phone, ear pods, tablet, smart watch, etc.

TheMaxRebo

Micro-USB is extremely fragile. It's garbage. This is not Disney cheaping out, it's an upgrade.

It's fine, I don't really mind but is just another thing to remember to pack and unique to this so if lose it/break have to buy more vs being able to use another cable I already have

In the grand scheme of things not in my top 100 annoying things at Disney

lewisc

It's fine, I don't really mind but is just another thing to remember to pack and unique to this so if lose it/break have to buy more vs being able to use another cable I already have

In the grand scheme of things not in my top 100 annoying things at Disney
Hotels will often provide items like a toothbrush, toothpaste, razor etc to guests who forgot to pack ran out etc.
Maybe Disney hotels will have loaner cradles available. :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh, don't worry about profitability. These little plastic trinkets are based on absolutely ancient technology, and even adding little lights and vibration to the newer ones doesn't change that. I'd love if one of our insiders actually had some idea (@marni1971 ?) but I would be willing to guess even with printing, packaging, etc. - these little suckers cost Disney less than the price of a Dole Whip to produce.

I have no doubt they are nearly as profitable as the pins, or Disney wouldn't be pushing them so hard.
I have zero interest in these let alone the original ones, and my head isn’t remembering the specifics, but how much is a dole whip? And how much are these?

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

With everything Disney is trying to incorporate into magic bands a creative approach could be to contract with GARMIN and develop a Disney series of wearable devices. Imagine wearables to monitor fitness, navigation and have all the Disney specific magic band features all in one.

TheMaxRebo

Disney should have hired the guy that made the back pack that syncs to the Spaceship Earth light show. That’s impressive, not this crap.

The backpack is $300 vs $35 for MB+. Honestly once the price point came out as low as it is my expectations went way down

Maybe someday they will have MB++ that does more impressive stuff

bhg469

With everything Disney is trying to incorporate into magic bands a creative approach could be to contract with GARMIN and develop a Disney series of wearable devices. Imagine wearables to monitor fitness, navigation and have all the Disney specific magic band features all in one.
I feel like the apple watch would be in development for features like this already. It simply has to be the next progression.. I would imagine this may even be announced at D23.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I have zero interest in these let alone the original ones, and my head isn’t remembering the specifics, but how much is a dole whip? And how much are these?

$6 USD for a Dole Whip.

I'd still prefer a card, but that's just me. I already have a watch (not an electronic one, either), I didn't want another thing to wear. I understand some of the conveniences, but this is just fleecing the sheep now with something that has no additional value.

B O

My issue with this & I tried to send information to Disney about this over a year ago is for people with a seizure disorder. This type of color changing patterns can induce a seizure. I sent a neurological study & received the thanks for your e mail standard cut & paste. I have to leave the parks before fireworks and everyone's bands start lighting up or my husband will have a seizure. Hopefully no one gets hurt having a seizure in the crowd

trainplane3

The backpack is $300 vs $35 for MB+. Honestly once the price point came out as low as it is my expectations went way down

Maybe someday they will have MB++ that does more impressive stuff
I mean, a mass produced product is going to be much cheaper then a handmade thing.
Someone earlier or in another thread mention this isn't actually sync'd up to the show. He pre programmed the lights to mirror the pattern.
Correct. The lighting system doesn't broadcast a signal for the shows. Regardless, the backpack looks great in person.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
I understand some of the conveniences, but this is just fleecing the sheep now with something that has no additional value.
I think you're thinking too much like a posts-on-the-boards-and-goes-all-the-time-frequent-visitor. Most people don't go to WDW all of the time. They don't have drawers full of MB2s. Or they do have some MB2s but just like to collect them. People were already paying $50+ for Limited Edition MB2, so I don't see this as the shocking "price increase" that everyone seems to be describing it as.

I don't know, I think they're fine. A minor upgrade with a minor price increase, on average. They're not Earth-shattering, but they weren't promised to be and they're not priced to be.

My issue with this & I tried to send information to Disney about this over a year ago is for people with a seizure disorder. This type of color changing patterns can induce a seizure. I sent a neurological study & received the thanks for your e mail standard cut & paste. I have to leave the parks before fireworks and everyone's bands start lighting up or my husband will have a seizure. Hopefully no one gets hurt having a seizure in the crowd
These bands are probably number 98 on the list of the 100 most blinky-flashy-paterny displays in the parks. They're not going to trigger any seizures.

Ayla

$6 USD for a Dole Whip.

I'd still prefer a card, but that's just me. I already have a watch (not an electronic one, either), I didn't want another thing to wear. I understand some of the conveniences, but this is just fleecing the sheep now with something that has no additional value.
After seeing the MB+ in (lack of) action, I totally agree with you. Disney should be embarrassed, but they currently have no shame, so they'll continue to fleece people, because people will continue to buy them.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
After seeing the MB+ in (lack of) action, I totally agree with you. Disney should be embarrassed, but they currently have no shame, so they'll continue to fleece people, because people will continue to buy them.
I really want you to walk me through your logic here.

MB+ has some blinks and buzzes. It has a rechargeable battery. It starts at $35.

MagicBand 2 is... wait for it...

1658844468149.png

Disney has released a new product with some minor feature upgrades at a relatively stable price point... what the hell is everyone upset about?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom