Magical Express arrival

deemcb

So we are having to take a late flight and we don't land until 5:30 or so. It has been 10 years since we were at Disney and I have no idea how long it takes to get to the resorts on the Magical Express shuttle. Anyone know this? We will be staying at Fort Wilderness Cabins and we are trying to figure out what we will have time to do when we get there.

coltow

It's been awhile for me using ME, last time we rented a car. I'm planning on about 90 minutes from when our flight gets in. First you have to get to ME, then wait to check in then get on the bus.

Upvote 0

lynnie5150

DON'T TAKE THE NOT SO MAGICAL EXPRESS!!!!

First off, it makes you a prisoner of Disney. You cant leave the grounds and you are forced to spend all your time and money there. Secondly, last year they lost a bag of mine that has NOT yet been resolved. A bag containing my camera and camcorder was stolen somewhere between the Boardwalk and the airport. Disney doesn't assist in dealings like these since it is the Disney Magical Express is operated by Mears and NOT Disney. After countless phonecalls an offer of $250.00 was accepted by my family which we have never received. DON'T DO IT!

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

5:30 is not so late.
You can use ME.
Allow about 90 minutes from the time you are at the ME counter until you are at your resort. It may stop at another resort before yours; depends on the passenger load.

We like ME.
Never had any problems.
It's free airport service.
Good luck.

:)

Upvote 0

MattyFresh

I have never had a problem with ME. You have the option to claim your bags and take them with you on the bus, that way you don't have to worry about any horror stories about lost bags and stuff like that.

If you figure in the 90 minutes someone above said, that should be your bus ride to the resort.

Once you land at MCO you follow your map to the ME desk, its helpful and handy to keep that map in your carry on, MCO can be confusing. You need to grab your bags on the way to the desk if you don't want Disney to deliver them for you. If not, head straight to the desk to check in. You are then directed into the line for your particular resort. This is the longest and sometimes the worst part, depending on the crowd around you. Once on board your bus, it will go to the resorts and drop off at each one. Not sure of the order for your resort. But its a nice comfortable ride, AC, movie, good time to catch a nap.....if your not to excited to sleep.

Once you reach your resort, if you didn't claim your bags, they will be delivered to your rooms within 3 hours of you checking in. I recommend taking the necessities with you in your carry on. That way you can hit the pool or whatever to pass the time and don't have to worry about waiting on your other stuff to arrive at the room.

Hope this helps.....if you have any other questions feel free to PM me. :wave:

Upvote 0

KnK

Magical Express and the handling of your bags is done by two different companys. The bags portion is done by a company I believe is named BAGS.

We used ME last year (we have always rented a car in the past) and found it a very friendly system. From the time we got off the plane to hitting our hotel was about 1 hour 15 minutes.

We got there on a Saturday at 11:00 am. We are using the system again this year.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
DON'T TAKE THE NOT SO MAGICAL EXPRESS!!!!

First off, it makes you a prisoner of Disney. You cant leave the grounds and you are forced to spend all your time and money there. Secondly, last year they lost a bag of mine that has NOT yet been resolved. A bag containing my camera and camcorder was stolen somewhere between the Boardwalk and the airport. Disney doesn't assist in dealings like these since it is the Disney Magical Express is operated by Mears and NOT Disney. After countless phonecalls an offer of $250.00 was accepted by my family which we have never received. DON'T DO IT!
While I sympathize, yours is an isolated incident, hardly a reason for no-one to EVER use what is a very reliable service.

As for the rant about being a "prisoner of Disney" - The vast majority of vacationers to WDW could care less! That's exactly why they go is to be on property and stay on property. If that's not what you want, that's fine, but hyperbole tends to make your entire post significantly less credible.

Upvote 0

deemcb

Original Poster
So any suggestions as to what to do after we get in and settled, assuming the timing works out, we would be ready to do something by 7:30 at the earliest, probably 8. What can a family of 5 go do that night so we don't miss out on the fun?

Upvote 0

gettingsmaller

While I sympathize with lynnie5150, I don't trust airports, airlines, or bus lines enough to actually check bags containing expensive electronics. Always carry on laptops, cameras, video cameras, ipods, etc.--onto the plane AND onto the bus.

Last Sept, we took ME. We had an early flight. The plane landed... not sure now... maybe 10:40AM? So, the timing may make a difference. Also, we stayed at POR. Anyway, we followed the signs/directions to ME, checked in without a line and were first in line for a bus. We probably waited less than five minutes before being loaded onto a bus. Then, the bus had to pull around back somewhere and pick up luggage. After that, we were on our way. Once on WDW property, we had to drop off other people at their hotels. I did not time it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 60-90 minutes total.

Also, keep in mind that your plane might not be on time... and there may be more traffic at 5:30-6:30PM when you'd be on the road.

Someone in FL (or a more frequent traveler) might know better than I would, but I think you can figure at least 30 minutes of driving time, no matter how you do the drive (own car, bus, etc.). Then, you have to add the extra 'steps' that I mentioned... I'd say if everything works out just right (no lines, right on a bus, traffic not bad, you're the first resort that gets dropped off), you're looking at 45 minutes minimum. I'd still say you're likely looking at 60-90 minutes from leaving the plane to standing in line at your check-in desk.

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

So any suggestions as to what to do after we get in and settled, assuming the timing works out, we would be ready to do something by 7:30 at the earliest, probably 8. What can a family of 5 go do that night so we don't miss out on the fun?

We always go ahead and go on over to a park, usually the MK.
Even if it's just for a couple of hours or so, it's fun.
You can eat in the park if hungry.
(Adding one day to the tickets, if needed, is very cheap.)

Meanwhile, the luggage magically shows up in your room and is there when you get back.

Have fun.
:king:

Upvote 0

gettingsmaller

Depending on the hours and your tickets, HIT THE PARKS! Seriously, depending on how many days you have tickets for, it might be about $2/person to add a day (if you would even NEED to add one) to hit one of the parks for a couple of hours, and catch something like Wishes or Fantasmic. Then, some other day, you can keep hitting the rides while other people are watching the show.

Otherwise, use the "wasted day" to check out Downtown Disney and do a little shopping. I think things close there around 10PM, so it would be a LITTLE shopping, but it would at least start getting you immersed into WDW...

Or, you could take a dip in your pool and just relax and go to bed early so that you're rested for the next day...

Or, Just check out your own resort. I'm not familiar with FW, but I'm sure you could spend some time just checking things out there...

Upvote 0

lynnie5150

While I sympathize, yours is an isolated incident, hardly a reason for no-one to EVER use what is a very reliable service.

As for the rant about being a "prisoner of Disney" - The vast majority of vacationers to WDW could care less! That's exactly why they go is to be on property and stay on property. If that's not what you want, that's fine, but hyperbole tends to make your entire post significantly less credible.

If stating the facts makes me less credible, I guess I am guilty. My prisoner point is that my family likes to eat off the grounds at times( Like 1:00AM after the parks). We also like to have our own car to go where we want and when we want, not when the mouse tells us.

As far as the lost bag, yeah, it could be viewed as my fault. My anger goes towards Disney for washing their hands of it and trusting Mears to make it right(Which they didn't)!

Upvote 0

coltow

If your kids are older, hit a park (provided they are open late). If you have little ones, stay put. Travelling can wear them out. If I arrived late in the day I'd just plan to hit the pool and go to bed. That wasy you're well rested and can get up early the next morning.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

It takes about a 1/2 hour to get to the resorts from MCO. Once you land, plan on about 90 minutes until you get to your resort. We have always gotten to our resort within an hour but it all depends on the traffic flow of MCO. The ride is comfortable and feels nice to know you are really on your way to see the mouse. We have never experienced any problems using DME, either, and this will be our third time using it on our upcoming trip.

WE have a late flight. We land at 12:27 AM so I figure on getting to sleep at 2. We were going to take our bags with us, but have just decided to take PJs and meds with us and worry about bags in the morning.:)

Enjoy your trip!!:wave:

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Our DME experience has been wonderful everytime.

Worst part was the walk to the DME counter.

Once there, 5 minutes to check in, 5 minute wait for bus, 5 minutes waiting on bus, 40 minute drive to resort - was less than an hour from DME desk to getting off the bus at the resort.

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

If stating the facts makes me less credible, I guess I am guilty. My prisoner point is that my family likes to eat off the grounds at times( Like 1:00AM after the parks). We also like to have our own car to go where we want and when we want, not when the mouse tells us.

As far as the lost bag, yeah, it could be viewed as my fault. My anger goes towards Disney for washing their hands of it and trusting Mears to make it right(Which they didn't)!

I like being a prisoner of "the mouse"!!! Can't think of a better place to be held prisoner than at Disney!!!!

Upvote 0

kstella

Since you're staying at FW, you could try catching the movie and campfire. You could also walk down to the beach and just hang out in the hammocks on the beach and wait for the Electric Water Pageant. If you think you might want to eat, you could arrange to go to the latest seating of the Hoop Dee Doo.

Don't forget that once you get off the ME at FW, you'll have to take one of the internal FW buses to get to your cabin.

I always claim my luggage and take to the bus with me, but that's just me! You might find it easier to wait for it to be delivered to your cabin and not have to take it on the internal FW bus with you. I usually stay at FW and have never found it to be that big a deal to take my luggage.

Upvote 0

WildLodgeFan

I think this is more about touring style. Some guest like staying on the resort exclusively, so Disney transportation is a good option. However if you do like to go off the resort, then I would definitely recommend a rental car to make it easier for you. Too bad your experience was a rough one, I truly hope it was a rare situation.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey there all, I go to Disney a lot and book many many people for the DME service. I will absolutely tell you I have NEVER had an issue with it. Not one time out of the past few years at approximately 4-5 times a year!!!! That having been said I specifically advise all my clients and have said it repeatedly on these boards, DONT EVER PACK ANYTHING OF VALUE OR NOT EASILY REPLACED IN YOUR CHECKED LUGGAGE. Cameras, videocameras, prescriptions, glasses, jewelery, money, traveler's checks, money etc. Should ALWAYS be kept on your person. Many, many hands are on and possibly in your bags that are checked from the deposit with the airline at your check in until they show up in your room, not limited to but potentially including the bag handler who took your bag at your home airport, any inspectors, the bag people who took your bag off the plane in Orlando, the person who loaded it for transport to your resort, and the luggage person who got it to your room. With that many people having access to my bag, I think Ill keep my valuables with me in a carry on!!!! So far luckily I havent had anything go missing, but I also havent allowed the situation to potentially happen either!!! Also if you packed your video camera in your checked luggage, I would be VERY worried as to how well that was being handled and if it would be broken by the time I got it back!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom