Magic Kingdom to lose ROA, Riverboat, and TSI for Cars Land

TP2000

When I'm referring to middle management in this case I'm referring to the TDA/TDO folks below Josh D'Amaro but above operations, people like Jeff Vahle and Ken Potrock who aren't in the C suites but still make decisions and give opinions on projects.

I would classify that as Park Executive; in charge of Anaheim specific stuff, but not really able to make big decisions.

Just for fun, and anyone here can jump in and amend or offer suggestions if I'm off base, but here's how the managerial hierarchy would seem to work for Disney theme parks:

Hourly Supervisors: Wearing costumes and uniforms, but in charge of the hour-by-hour operation and fixing messed up cheeseburger orders, or smoothing the feathers of Karens after denied requests for the front row, or needed for merchandise return overrides. Drives a used 2014 Honda Civic with a burned out taillight and a license plate registration that is two months overdue, and parks in a satellite parking lot a mile from their work location.

Dockers-clad Managers: My God do I love these people! The managers in Business Casual, often worn in various stages of effectiveness and attractiveness, that you see wandering the parks with those trash grabbers and radio earpieces. They can respond to solve higher level problems like ride breakdowns and YouTube-worthy fights. Drive a leased Honda Accord or Hyundai Sonata, and parks in a satellite parking lot a mile from their work location. But their license plate registration is current.

TDA Suits: The dearly departed Al Lutz came up with that name, but it's the senior managers who manage the Dockers-clad managers beneath them. They rarely appear in the parks, and never past 4pm, but they are effectively in charge of the parks even though the parks are actually open for 16 hours per day. Drives a leased Acura RDX or Lexus ES 350, but still has to hunt for a spot in the TDA parking structure.

Park Executives: The handful of TDA execs with "Vice President" or "Senior Vice President" in their title who show up incognito in the parks randomly on weekday mid-mornings, or in the early afternoon of major holidays like July 4th, Thanksgiving Day, or Christmas Eve, to prove they support and value the front line hourly Cast Members. Often followed by a TDA photographer to document their actual appearance in a park, especially on a major holiday. They have an ability to influence the TDA President Du Jour, but that requires special skill and an willingness to realize what their core product for sale actually is. Drives a Company Car as part of their contract that is a frumpy Buick or Cadillac, thanks to the GM sponsorship agreement from the 1980's, but at least its free, and has a reserved parking space.

Disneyland Resort President: This job goes on a 3 year contract, and unless the President oversees a tragic death in the park a la' the Sailing Ship Columbia or Big Thunder Mountain, you can bet they'll be in Anaheim in increments of 3 or 6 years. Although Covid threw that well established cadence for a loop, when there was a blonde lady who wore extremely tight jeans to work who only lasted about six months in that job before she was asked to leave to spend more time with her family. (I had to Google her just now; her name was Rebecca Campbell, she had the job for mere months, and now she's long gone and no longer on any Disney payroll. Because.... Executive Leadership! 🤣) Drives a Mercedes E-Class, Audi A7, or BMW 5 Series, with a reserved parking space next to TDA.

Parks Chairman: Again, on a standard 3 year corporate contract. Plucked from relative corporate obscurity as a President of Finance or Merchandising. Josh D'Amaro is the recent exception, as he was formerly the DLR President in TDA that leapfrogged the boorish and snobby Michael Colglazier for that gig. (Colglazier was forcibly retired from Disney in a huff and went on to oversee a non-existent business that sends wealthy tourists into space for Richard Branson, or doesn't send them into space in the particular case for Branson and Colglazier). After 3 to 6 years in this gig, you get banished from Burbank by Bob Iger (Rasulo, Staggs, Chapek) unluckily inbetween a corporate Burbank shakeup that only happens ever 20 years (Miller, Eisner, Iger, Chapek, Iger 2.0...) Drives a Mercedes S Class or BMW 7 Series with a reserved spot in Burbank and Anaheim.

As for me?.. I'd prefer to be a theme park hourly supervisor. I'd comp replacement cheeseburgers and feign deep remorse for denied first row seating requests like the best of 'em. And I'd do it with a fresh haircut, and no visible tattoos, and a freshly pressed uniform, and shined shoes, and a big happy smile! I'd be great at that! :cool:

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I would classify that as Park Executive; in charge of Anaheim specific stuff, but not really able to make big decisions.

Just for fun, and anyone here can jump in and amend or offer suggestions if I'm off base, but here's how the managerial hierarchy would seem to work for Disney theme parks:

Hourly Supervisors: Wearing costumes and uniforms, but in charge of the hour-by-hour operation and fixing messed up cheeseburger orders, or smoothing feathers after denied requests for the front row, or needed for merchandise return overrides. Drives a used 2014 Honda Civic, and parks in a satellite parking lot a mile from their work location.

Dockers-clad Managers: My God do I love these people! The managers in Business Casual, often worn in various stages of effectiveness and attractiveness, that you see wandering the parks with those trash grabbers and radio earpieces. They can respond to solve higher level problems like ride breakdowns and YouTube-worthy fights. Drive a leased Honda Accord or Hyundai Sonata, and parks in a satellite parking lot a mile from their work location.

TDA Suits: The dearly departed Al Lutz came up with that name, but it's the senior managers who manage the Dockers-clad managers beneath them. They rarely appear in the parks, and never past 4pm, but they are effectively in charge of them even though they are open for 16 hours per day. Drives a leased Acura RDX or Lexus ES 350, but still has to hunt for a spot in the TDA parking structure.

Park Executives: The handful of TDA execs with "Vice President" or "Senior Vice President" in their title who show up incognito in the parks randomly on weekday mid-mornings, or in the early afternoon of major holidays like July 4th, Thanksgiving Day, or Christmas Eve, to prove they support and value the front line hourly Cast Members. Often followed by a TDA photographer to document their actual appearance in a park, especially on a major holiday. They have an ability to influence the TDA President Du Jour, but that requires special skill and an willingness to realize what their core product for sale actually is. Drives a Company Car as part of their contract that is a frumpy Buick or Cadillac, thanks to the GM sponsorship agreement from the 1980's, but at least its free, and has a reserved parking space.

Disneyland Resort President: This job goes on a 3 year contract, and unless the President oversees a tragic death in the park a la' the Sailing Ship Columbia or Big Thunder Mountain, you can bet they'll be in Anaheim in increments of 3 or 6 years. Although Covid threw that well established cadence for a loop, when there was a blonde lady who wore extremely tight jeans to work who only lasted about six months in that job before she was asked to leave to spend more time with her family. (I had to Google her just now; her name was Rebecca Campbell, she had the job for mere months, and now she's long gone and no longer on any Disney payroll. Because.... Executive Leadership! 🤣) Drives a Mercedes E-Class Sedan, Audi A7 Sedan, or BMW 5 Series Sedan, with a reserved parking space next to TDA.

Parks Chairman: Again, on a standard 3 year corporate contract. Plucked from relative corporate obscurity as a President of a Finance or Merchandising role as President. Josh D'Amaro is the recent exception, as he was formerly the DLR President in TDA that leapfrogged the boorish and snobby Michael Colglazier for that gig. (Colglazier was forcibly retired from Disney in a huff and went on to oversee a non-existent business that sends wealthy tourists into space for Richard Branson, or doesn't send them into space in the particular case for Branson and Colglazier). After 3 to 6 years in this gig, you get banished from Burbank by Bob Iger (Rasulo, Staggs, Chapek) while you await a corporate Burbank shakup that only happens ever 20 years (Miller, Eisner, Iger, Chapek, Iger 2.0...) Drives a Mercedes S Class or BMW 7 Series with a reserved spot in Burbank and Anaheim.

As for me?.. I think I'd rather be a theme park hourly supervisor. I'd comp replacement cheeseburgers and feign deep remorse for first row seating requests that were denied like the best of 'em. And I'd do it with a fresh haircut, and no visible tattoos, and a freshly pressed uniform, and shined shoes, and a big happy smile! I'd be great at that! :cool:
Well in my almost 30 years of corporate life we call them middle managers. Whatever you want to call them in my opinion if OLC was to take over the Experiences division these would largely remain unchanged. The only change would come at the top, the Parks Chairmen, and even then it would still likely be a US based employee who knows the US culture/market compared to someone from and based in Japan. This is typically how I've found most Japanese companies that have US divisions work. So not much would change in my opinion on how the US Parks would work even if OLC took over.

And as was stated in this thread RoA at TDL is still on the chopping block, so it doesn't appear that OLC values it any more than TDO does. They are likely just waiting for the right project to come along to replace it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But what do they drive, and where do they park? That's honestly the real determination of status and power.
Who really cares, that really doesn't determine status out in the real world as much as you think. But if you really must know none that I've worked with drive anything older than a 5 year old car, and mostly all luxury models like Audi's.

TrainsOfDisney

And as was stated in this thread RoA at TDL is still on the chopping block, so it doesn't appear that OLC values it any more than TDO does. They are likely just waiting for the right project to come along to replace it.
I wouldn’t say it’s on the chopping block any more or less than anything else - there are constantly plans that are drawn up for all sorts of expansions.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I wouldn’t say it’s on the chopping block any more or less than anything else - there are constantly plans that are drawn up for all sorts of expansions.
The point though is that OLC isn't saving RoA at TDL out of some reverence for the area, its just that the right project hasn't come along. So the idea that OLC would somehow save the US Parks from similar fates if they took over is naive.

TrainsOfDisney

The point though is that OLC isn't saving RoA at TDL out of some reverence for the area, its just that the right project hasn't come along. So the idea that OLC would somehow save the US Parks from similar fates if they took over is naive.
No, they are using all other expansion areas and investing wisely into the park…. That’s the point.

Even the Disney controlled Disneyland Paris is letting Disneyland Park shine with updates and refurbishments and focusing the investment where it’s needed - the studios / adventure park.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No, they are using all other expansion areas and investing wisely into the park…. That’s the point.
Agree to disagree.

Even the Disney controlled Disneyland Paris is letting Disneyland Park shine with updates and refurbishments and focusing the investment where it’s needed - the studios / adventure park.
And if its the same management making the decisions for DLP then clearly they can't be as out of touch and inept as some of you all claim.

wdrive

Hourly Supervisors: Wearing costumes and uniforms, but in charge of the hour-by-hour operation and fixing messed up cheeseburger orders, or smoothing the feathers of Karens after denied requests for the front row, or needed for merchandise return overrides. Drives a used 2014 Honda Civic with a burned out taillight and a license plate registration that is two months overdue, and parks in a satellite parking lot a mile from their work location.

Dockers-clad Managers: My God do I love these people! The managers in Business Casual, often worn in various stages of effectiveness and attractiveness, that you see wandering the parks with those trash grabbers and radio earpieces. They can respond to solve higher level problems like ride breakdowns and YouTube-worthy fights. Drive a leased Honda Accord or Hyundai Sonata, and parks in a satellite parking lot a mile from their work location. But their license plate registration is current.

TDA Suits: The dearly departed Al Lutz came up with that name, but it's the senior managers who manage the Dockers-clad managers beneath them. They rarely appear in the parks, and never past 4pm, but they are effectively in charge of the parks even though the parks are actually open for 16 hours per day. Drives a leased Acura RDX or Lexus ES 350, but still has to hunt for a spot in the TDA parking structure.

Disneyland Resort President: This job goes on a 3 year contract, and unless the President oversees a tragic death in the park a la' the Sailing Ship Columbia or Big Thunder Mountain, you can bet they'll be in Anaheim in increments of 3 or 6 years. Although Covid threw that well established cadence for a loop, when there was a blonde lady who wore extremely tight jeans to work who only lasted about six months in that job before she was asked to leave to spend more time with her family. (I had to Google her just now; her name was Rebecca Campbell, she had the job for mere months, and now she's long gone and no longer on any Disney payroll. Because.... Executive Leadership! 🤣) Drives a Mercedes E-Class, Audi A7, or BMW 5 Series, with a reserved parking space next to TDA.

Parks Chairman: Again, on a standard 3 year corporate contract. Plucked from relative corporate obscurity as a President of Finance or Merchandising. Josh D'Amaro is the recent exception, as he was formerly the DLR President in TDA that leapfrogged the boorish and snobby Michael Colglazier for that gig. (Colglazier was forcibly retired from Disney in a huff and went on to oversee a non-existent business that sends wealthy tourists into space for Richard Branson, or doesn't send them into space in the particular case for Branson and Colglazier). After 3 to 6 years in this gig, you get banished from Burbank by Bob Iger (Rasulo, Staggs, Chapek) unluckily inbetween a corporate Burbank shakeup that only happens ever 20 years (Miller, Eisner, Iger, Chapek, Iger 2.0...) Drives a Mercedes S Class or BMW 7 Series with a reserved spot in Burbank and Anaheim.

As for me?.. I'd prefer to be a theme park hourly supervisor. I'd comp replacement cheeseburgers and feign deep remorse for denied first row seating requests like the best of 'em. And I'd do it with a fresh haircut, and no visible tattoos, and a freshly pressed uniform, and shined shoes, and a big happy smile! I'd be great at that! :cool:

You are possible the best part of this forum

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom