Magic Kingdom to lose ROA, Riverboat, and TSI for Cars Land

GigglesMcSnort

IF villains land gets built after this
I'll believe that when I see it. The trend over the years has been to infantilise most things in MK to not upset five year olds or offend their parents. Building an area of the park that focuses on the scary stuff seems very unlikely to me, given that trend. It'll either not happen or be so dumbed down to not deserve the name.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Pulled up this convo from 8 years ago.

I forgot that Disney pitched Cars Land to OLC years ago. The pitch was for it to go right over the ROA just like they re doing at MK. OLC said No. can OLC just acquire the Disney parks division already?

B9000D15-1997-4746-8D14-95305898E9E5.jpeg

mickEblu

Truth.

It took filling in the ROA for me to really see it. But now I can't unsee it.

Universal execs must be over the moon with these announcements.

lol right. Must be nice to see your competition shooting themselves in the foot. Had they just put this Beyond Big Thunder where they said they would the whole slate of announcements would have been a massive win creating positive PR for years. Now they got another TBA/ Splash situation for the next four years. That whole Cars Land is like 4 acres. All they had to do is just put it where they said they were going to.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Pulled up this convo from 8 years ago.

I forgot that Disney pitched Cars Land to OLC years ago. The pitch was for it to go right over the ROA just like they re doing at MK. OLC said No. can OLC just acquire the Disney parks division already?

View attachment 809052
There is no guarantee that OLC would treat the US Parks any different than current Disney management. OLC knows their Japanese market not the US market, which are two different things. In my opinion it would still likely be the same middle management running the US Parks, so not really much would change there, and WDI will still be the same.

mlayton144

I think there are way too many old people on this thread who spend little or no money at Disney , yet scream that the sky is falling. ROA and the riverboat add literally nothing to the attendance numbers , who is making a trip to Orlando to ride the riverboat.? And I like the riverboat and the vibe of the area. If you judge by the wait times , this is self evident. Adding this Pacific Northwest land with a Cars attraction (presumably if done well) as part of a new Frontierland could work well and will add a unique land that further will draw interest to the most popular theme park on earth.

Rich T

I think there are way too many old people on this thread who spend little or no money at Disney , yet scream that the sky is falling. ROA and the riverboat add literally nothing to the attendance numbers , who is making a trip to Orlando to ride the riverboat.? And I like the riverboat and the vibe of the area. If you judge by the wait times , this is self evident. Adding this Pacific Northwest land with a Cars attraction (presumably if done well) as part of a new Frontierland could work well and will add a unique land that further will draw interest to the most popular theme park on earth.
The reason some of us “old people” don’t spend much money at Disney anymore is because we experienced the parks when they didn’t have upcharges and reservations and a pay-to-win approach to running the business, and we know when the value for us just isn’t there anymore.

We’re fans of what Disney once provided and the way it was managed. We’re not fans of the corporation it’s become.

Enjoy spending your money at Disney, my friend. As long as you feel it’s worth it and it inspires you and ignites your imagination, make the most of it.

And be aware that someday, the corporation might make changes that you feel are insulting and no longer represent the ideas and themes that made you a fan in the first place. Times change for everyone.

Oh, and you might not dig a lot of your grandchildren’s generation’s music, either. Just a note from the future. 😃

mlayton144

The reason some of us “old people” don’t spend much money at Disney anymore is because we experienced the parks when they didn’t have upcharges and reservations and a pay-to-win approach to running the business, and we know when the value for us just isn’t there anymore.

We’re fans of what Disney once provided and the way it was managed. We’re not fans of the corporation it’s become.

Enjoy spending your money at Disney, my friend. As long as you feel it’s worth it and it inspires you and ignites your imagination, make the most of it.

And be aware that someday, the corporation might make changes that you feel are insulting and no longer represent the ideas and themes that made you a fan in the first place. Times change for everyone.

Oh, and you might not dig a lot of your grandchildren’s generation’s music, either. Just a note from the future. 😃
All points taken , people just need to settle down on the tone and rhetoric - it’s a business (please just don’t kill COP or people mover or spaceship earth though)

Professortango1

I don't buy my ticket to Disney for any one aspect though. I'm not buying to ride the Mark Twain, true, but I do enjoy it being there. I enjoy the concept of the castle parks as Americana and an exploration of how America views its history and genres.

I don't buy tickets to visit a landscaped garden with clean walking paths. You couldn't get me to travel 10 minutes for that and pay more than $10, yet I do choose Disney over Universal and other competitors often and that's because the escapism Disney provides. The landscaped gardens and walking paths, the natural appearance of areas, and the sense of scale all contribute to that. Not saying the Carsland area won't have those impacts as well, but I doubt they will achieve the scale and immersion of a giant ship sailing down what appears to be a natural river.

mlayton144

I don't buy my ticket to Disney for any one aspect though. I'm not buying to ride the Mark Twain, true, but I do enjoy it being there. I enjoy the concept of the castle parks as Americana and an exploration of how America views its history and genres.

I don't buy tickets to visit a landscaped garden with clean walking paths. You couldn't get me to travel 10 minutes for that and pay more than $10, yet I do choose Disney over Universal and other competitors often and that's because the escapism Disney provides. The landscaped gardens and walking paths, the natural appearance of areas, and the sense of scale all contribute to that. Not saying the Carsland area won't have those impacts as well, but I doubt they will achieve the scale and immersion of a giant ship sailing down what appears to be a natural river.
We mostly see the same beauty in Disney parks , and for the record I’m not young by any means. I wonder though if younger generations value those same things (in the aggregate) , we do need to allow for catering to them as well as they may not want the same things.

mickEblu

We mostly see the same beauty in Disney parks , and for the record I’m not young by any means. I wonder though if younger generations value those same things (in the aggregate) , we do need to allow for catering to them as well as they may not want the same things.

I don’t think it’s about them catering to a new generation of fans. It’s about a “new” corporate mentality of focusing on short term gains and undervaluing any space that isn’t maximizing profit directly.

Rich T

All points taken , people just need to settle down on the tone and rhetoric - it’s a business (please just don’t kill COP or people mover or spaceship earth though)
It indeed is a business. But what made the Disney parks popular in the first place was a unique balance of art, business and consumer value. I think the balance is currently way off. The other problem for me is the lack of new original ideas and stories at the parks, which just—for me—is resulting in coating the overall park experience in a layer of… “ICK”. The parks were not meant to be all current IP everywhere all the time. They need to breathe. They need beautiful spots without crowds. They need original stories that result in new classics like Big Thunder and Pirates and Mansion and Tower of Terror.

I believe a lot of the decisions being made today by the company might seem wise for short-term increases, but I think In the long run, they could be irreversibly damaging and eradicating the multi-generational appeal and lasting emotional resonance of their product. I sometimes wonder if the current leadership really has a grasp on what sets the Disney Parks apart from others— besides ownership of IPs.

Eh, maybe I’m wrong. But one of the original DL Imagineers (I *think* it was John Hench) said Disneyland was like a salad, and all of its diverse ingredients were necessary to give it its unique personality. To me, MK is turning into a bowl of Froot Loops with Strawberry Quick poured on top. With sprinkles. Sure, I’d try it once. Just once. 😃

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom