Magic Kingdom park-wide buyout on Oct 22

dreamfinder

For those muttering about costs, remember that these often aren't technically "free". The various symposiums and conferences often have an attendance cost, as well as heavy sponsor involvement. Microsoft is renting out US & IoA for the night next month for it's Ignite conference, and that cost $2,395 per person. And if you wanted a + one ticket for the party, it was $250. Sure, Microsoft probably picked up some of the tab outside the registration fees, but to attract people to big ticket conferences like that you need to hold them in places people want to be, and have events that people want to go to. Hence why so many conferences are in Orlando, San Francisco, Las Vegas, and not so many in Des Moines or Dallas.

tissandtully

For those muttering about costs, remember that these often aren't technically "free". The various symposiums and conferences often have an attendance cost, as well as heavy sponsor involvement. Microsoft is renting out US & IoA for the night next month for it's Ignite conference, and that cost $2,395 per person. And if you wanted a + one ticket for the party, it was $250. Sure, Microsoft probably picked up some of the tab outside the registration fees, but to attract people to big ticket conferences like that you need to hold them in places people want to be, and have events that people want to go to. Hence why so many conferences are in Orlando, San Francisco, Las Vegas, and not so many in Des Moines or Dallas.
HEY, the Des Moines corn conference is one heck of a party.

Mouse Trap

Anybody have an idea how much something like this costs?

Surprisingly only around 200k which is nothing for most companies.

Not a chance. I know at a competing theme park that around $12,000 got you one very basic isolated area of the park for three hours. What's the catch? You can't just book the "area" you need to pay for at least one ride and/or some kind of food/bev. Of course these are all packaged in much prettier ways than I'm writing. Food/bev isn't cheap either, for a buffet with next to nothing you're talking close to $40/pp. When you actually want to add some decent quality food and alcohol you're looking at $80+ per person. Also note there are dozens of variable minimums required for this sort of thing. Minimum amount of food purchased, minimum amount of drink, etc... the list goes on to ensure Disney makes a good profit from these events.

I've been removed from the space for years now, but I'd say $500,000 gets you MK for the night, but that's just a simple, itemized upfront fee and you can't actually buyout the park for just 500k . Doesn't include the rides and food/bev required. I'd say this is easily going to run 2M on the low end.

For MK it doesn't need to just be worth Disney's time, it needs to be obscenely worth Disney's time. Disney sells it as so and is pretty upfront with clients that they'll be paying a huge premium for MK vs any of the other parks.

Last edited:

Lilofan

As long as some companies are making record profits, what a great way to celebrate their success at WDW. And as a bonus they also could bring the family to enjoy the parks.

WI_WDWfan

When I was driving bus at WDW I was working Westclock (Cast Member pick up for MK) during one of these events. While loading cast members and waiting to get bumped by the next bus I watched 4 guys in khakis and polo shirts leisurely stroll out of the Utilidor carrying drinks. I radioed my supervisor to report it. His panicked reply? Did you say guests with cocktails in the utilidors!!!!? About 30 seconds later a security cart pulled up and hustled them away. I'm sure they had a great story for the break-out sessions the next day, haha.

dreamfinder

Wonder if anyone at this event can fix Disney's IT problems.

Gartner is usually management and exec level, more so than the grunts who actually make stuff go. So I bet the attendees would do a bang up job of allocating a project team and doing an in depth cost analysis to see if the returns would outweigh the number of buzzwords used in their meeting, but as far as actually fixing it, probably not.

RollerCoaster

Surprisingly only around 200k which is nothing for most companies.

Not a chance! $200k!

A buyout would cost about $1M an hour and my guess is the minimum would be several million. Disney would never discount their gate to that level for a private group when they could easily sell 25,000 tickets for a separate ticketed Halloween or Christmas event. Admission revenue for a Halloween event attended by 25K would bring in about $2.5M. That doesn't even include in park spending on food, beverage, and merchandise.

The Gartner IT Symposium is expecting about 10,000 attendees and that doesn't include staff and presenters, plus guests, like spouses or family members. The cost to attend is $6,200 per person or $4,600 for public sector employees. The symposium will have registration revenue in the $50M range. They probably also have sponsor revenue.

I would estimate the group is probably paying between $4M and $5M to buy out Magic Kingdom. If the cost is $4.5M and they have 15,000 attend they are essentially paying $300 per person (all-in cost including admission, food and beverage). The $4M to $5M is eye popping, but when you break it down to a per person cost, $300 for a private function is not and especially considering how much attendees are paying to attend the symposium.

Last edited:

chriskbrown

Well I have been at this conference several times and they rent out a park every year; universal was last year. My wife cane one year and it was 75 for a companion ticket. It was at Studios and we rode toy story mania 7 times in a row with no wait. It was amazing. It’s not cheap but given its 10k there the costs per person are not crazy. One of my favorite times ever. but its a major league event for C-level smooching. Yet the parks are pretty quiet since they take up so many rooms...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom