Magic Kingdom No Longer to be Dry

captainkidd

The same style is selling popcorn and light-toys too. Is it the drink or vendor that bothers you?

The drink.

Hey, maybe you don't give a crap about what Walt wanted, and what has always been a constant at the park, but I do. This isn't like saying "Well, the Magic Kingdom has never been open for 24 hours, so let's try that." Just because it's something new doesn't mean it's breaking tradition. This IS breaking tradition.

Polydweller

Haven't read many books about Walt's visions for the park I guess.
Walt died 46 years ago and nothing can be operated on 46 year old visions. The world had changed, what people expect in service have changed, how people live their lives have changed and every business has to move with those changes. And Walt's own history says he would have changed. He would adapt the company to the changes. Clinging to vision statements that are more than 46 years old doesn't recognize that he was an astute businessman and would grow the business astutely. What would Walt think, no one knows and it's irrelevant because like us all he would have changed.

The alcohol does not bother me. But it would bother me if it was carried around the park. And besides, Walt allowed it a Disneyland in his lifetime and it's a sure thing he'd have adapted in 46 years to allow this. He was nothing if not adaptable.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I wouldn't be surprised to see this be the case. Magic Kingdom opens up a new stream of revenue where all TS restaurants now serve alcohol.

I think that will eventually be the case at MK. A new wine list for Tony's, or perhaps a champagne cordial at CRT. They could even bring in Sam Adams at LTT, considering they already sponsor a booth at the F&W Festival.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Walt never made it a point to express his feeling on having sit-down restaurants in the parks. At least not in any of the books I've read about him.

Again - the point is change.. evolution. What Walt thought was right in 1920s.. isn't what constrained his choices in the 50s or 60s. So why are we using his static thought from 50+ years ago as a golden rule to day that is uncompromising while the landscape and application around it HAS changed?

The man was smart enough to learn how to adapt and rethink what made the most sense. Instead of being a stiff, uncompromising momment in time, he evolved. You never know, he may have evolved on his thoughts on alcohol when the ways it was sold, consumed, and presented changed as well.

NEL

So is Epcot. So is DHS. So DAK. So is DCA. They are all different. Saying "it's different" isn't making a point. The question is wether it is "different" in a way that should eliminate alchohol. Other than tradition, I don't see how one could reach that conclusion. MK isn't designed just for, or even predominantly for, children. If it were, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Thunder Mountain wouldn't belong, because so many children can't ride them. Sure, it's probably correct to say that MK, more than other parks, is aimed at families with children, but just about every nice restaurant outside of MK that is designed for families with children has beer and wine, and we don't tell the owners of those restaurants that their place is "different" and shouldn't have alcohol.

So we're left with "tradition" as the thing that is different about the MK. I certainly never complained about the lack of alcohol at MK. I like the tradition, and I don't feel the need to have drinks nearby all the time, but the breaking of that tradition won't bother me either.

Not sure whens the last time you rode any of the MK Mountains but many children ride them. Infants and toddlers cant ride them but children can and do. There is no need to break tradition and serve alcohol in every single area at the resort. We can have one theme park with no alcohol to avoid any issues that might arise with the consumption of alcohol, especially in a park that is primarily enjoyed by children and family, or by the child at heart.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That explains why it is the most visited park in the world... Oh, but they might lose that status unless they serve alcohol?!? Are you kidding me?

You take things way too literally vs understanding the point. Back in Walt's day.. people rarely ate out. They ate at home. Now, many people eat out more than they eat at home. If we kept by Walt's original ideas, we wouldn't have the dining options we have at all.. and you'd be making the arguement 'well Walt didn't see the need for them'. Yeah, well Walt's ideas were based on a country 50 years ago. This is today, and the ideas of 50 years ago often need to evolve to stay current to the customer base.

Victor Kelly

The more things change the more things stay the same. All parks, and restaurants on property with the exception of Epcot require the booze to be consumed in restaurant. Yes Epcot has plenty of drunks walking around during the food and wine festival, but normally no.

I have no issue at all with alcohol. I have no issue with those who can handle their alcohol. Personally I don't agree with the decision to sell booze in MK. But it is not something on my list of things that alter my life.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The drink.

Hey, maybe you don't give a crap about what Walt wanted

... or maybe I give Walt more credit that if he actually lived in the world we have today, or even in the PRODUCT he is selling today, he would make NEW thoughts and come up with refined opinions.. and not just hold onto concepts he had 50 years ago.

Walt was about moving forward - not sitting still. The context of his decision 50 years ago is not the same as it is today.

HMF

I can honestly say I really don't have a problem with this. It's thematically appropriate considering the French love of wine and the Tavern title in Gastons. Yes, those who want to name me Vice President of the so-called "Doom & Gloomer" club, I am actually defending management in this case.

NEL

... or maybe I give Walt more credit that if he actually lived in the world we have today, or even in the PRODUCT he is selling today, he would make NEW thoughts and come up with refined opinions.. and not just hold onto concepts he had 50 years ago.

Walt was about moving forward - not sitting still. The context of his decision 50 years ago is not the same as it is today.

How exactly is selling alcohol at MK moving forward? Building a new ride, Revamping an old ride with new technology, and expansions at the park is moving forward.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Most of what I've seen around this change seems to be in a reasonably balanced range of it not being that big of a deal since it's only in this one restaurant. However, there is a portion of the community that likes to invoke Walt's name every time there is a change and believes that they alone know what he would do, and that he would disapprove of (insert random change here). While each of them is indeed entitled to their opinion in every way, considering everything that happens through that prism risks a highly compromised experience rooted in the cultural conventions of the 1950's and 60's.

The world has changed pretty dramatically in that half century and Disney has a responsibility to make balanced and appropriate adjustments as well. I don't have the ability to see into the future that others believe they possess but I can't see how this is anything but a positive for the Magic Kingdom. We now have a well themed, quality food and drink dining experience instead of one more serving of burgers and fries; sign me up.

Rosso11

Wow this really made my day! I can't wait for the time when I can drink a wonderful glass of wine or nice craft beer on Main Street while watching the fireworks over Cinderella's Castle. I won't have to be so jealous of The French in Disneyland Paris any longer!

NEL

I have submitted two posts at the Disney Parks Blog describing my feelings on the matter and both have been removed.:(

flynnibus

Premium Member
How exactly is selling alcohol at MK moving forward? Building a new ride, Revamping an old ride with new technology, and expansions at the park is moving forward.

Ok.. let me keep it simple for you. You don't know what he would or want do today.

And inferring the man could never have NEW thoughts.. is rather belittling of a man who was known from his drive to keep moving forward.

TalkingHead

Actually, I think the two are very much related. The same incompetent management that goes 20 years without adding an E-ticket is the same one willing to abandon all the traditions and charm that made Magic Kingdom what it was in the first place. Mark my words, within 5 years (and probably much sooner), you will be able to get alcohol just about anywhere in the Magic Kingdom. Once this door is cracked open, and TDO has no longer the excuse of tradition to stop if from pouncing on the money making opportunities alcohol presents, there will be no stopping it.

Never realized the lack of booze was what gave MK its charm!

(My guess is they're having to add some alcohol to help the well-adjusted adults cope with Kiddy Kingdom!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom