Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctornick

I mean there’s a reason that it’s not. The “A” talent and crew all lives in California.

The reality is though that movie (and TV) production has poured from California. There's no doubt that it's still the capital for the administrative aspect of the entertainment industry, but it doesn't nearly have the monopoly on filming that was once the case.

Not that I'm saying I'd ever expect production to build up in central Florida any time soon, but stranger things have happened.

Movielover

It’s possible, but they tried it once and it didn’t seem to work.

I wish it had... I liked the “real” studios at both Disney and universal.
Well most big budget filmmaking including all of the recent Marvel films have been filmed in Georgia. Both Universal and Disney were just a couple of years ahead of the curve trying to bring filmmaking out west in Florida. It unfortunately failed at the time but maybe it can be explored again in the future.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well most big budget filmmaking including all of the recent Marvel films have been filmed in Georgia. Both Universal and Disney were just a couple of years ahead of the curve trying to bring filmmaking out west in Florida. It unfortunately failed at the time but maybe it can be explored again in the future.
Florida is horrible for filming. The heat, the humidity, the rain -- all make outdoor shoots very problematic.

With Atlanta being a major hub and having better weather, it makes sense to film there.

MrPromey

Love how the small Mickey Mouse flag is a throwback to this. The only difference is Mickey's eyes ain't looking at the viewer.
fp101010LARGE.jpg

Also came across this photo promoting Walt Disney World's Tencennial.
pde123098LARGE.jpg
That Cinderella is going to haunt my dreams... :oops:

MrPromey

Florida is horrible for filming. The heat, the humidity, the rain -- all make outdoor shoots very problematic.

With Atlanta being a major hub and having better weather, it makes sense to film there.
If the Mandalorian is any indication of where filming is headed, they could pull it off in the south pole if they could get the cast all down there.

Just hearing Jon Favreau talk about doing Lion King and then moving on to what they're doing with Mando on the "volume" makes it seem like for big budget stuff, actual real physical locations may quickly be on the way out with what can be controlled on-set now at lower cost points than on-location filming, especially with the 100% control of "weather" and lighting.

For those that don't have Disney+ and can't see the extras that show how they're doing this:

Think green screen but without... the green screen.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If the Mandalorian is any indication of where filming is headed, they could pull it off in the south pole if they could get the cast all down there.

Just hearing Jon Favreau talk about doing Lion King and then moving on to what they're doing with Mando on the "volume" makes it seem like for big budget stuff, actual real physical locations may quickly be on the way out with what can be controlled on-set now at lower cost points than on-location filming, especially with the 100% control of "weather" and lighting.

For those that don't have Disney+ and can't see the extras that show how they're doing this:

It’s very clever but suitable for the minority of productions

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

And Disney is quadrupling down on "The Volume," building a much larger one, and then also three others around the world. From the investor day:

On The Mandalorian Season 2, we expanded StageCraft’s capabilities further and built an even larger volume. Additionally, we are building three more volumes right now in Los Angeles, London and Australia - advancing the Disney-owned technology and building the ‘Studio of the Future’. -Kennedy

However, not every shoot lends itself to The Volume. In Season 2, according to the recent addition of "the making of..." series of the Mandalorian on D+, they did do some outdoor shoots with giant blue screens behind them. I highly recommend that 'making of' series.

Stripes

Well this could open up the possibilities to at least one thing in particular we’ve been going back and forth on for awhile, with letting WDW have...
Although I’m sure this technically has nothing to do with it lol, but it sure came to mind! :)

In my opinion, WDI headquarters should be moved to Florida. The existing headquarters...let's say leaves much to be desired. And if I'm not mistaken, Florida is home to more people in the themed entertainment industry.

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 4.24.45 PM.png

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member
In my opinion, WDI headquarters should be moved to Florida. The existing headquarters...let's say leaves much to be desired. And if I'm not mistaken, Florida is home to more people in the themed entertainment industry.

View attachment 523533
It looks like a cool mid-century building to me.

While I think it's important for imagineers to have more empathy for guests in the Florida climate, I'd hate to see the division move to Florida. Its history lies in the film world and how people from that industry extended their creativity to a new medium. I know it's more specialized now, but I'd hate to see that crossover aspect of it completely disappear.

ToTBellHop

It looks like a cool mid-century building to me.

While I think it's important for imagineers to have more empathy for guests in the Florida climate, I'd hate to see the division move to Florida. Its history lies in the film world and how people from that industry extended their creativity to a new medium. I know it's more specialized now, but I'd hate to see that crossover aspect of it completely disappear.
If DL can’t open by summer, they may have to put it up for sale and move WDI...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom