Magic Carpets of Aladdin Rumor.

darthspielberg

Original Poster
I was online and I spotted a rumor on Screamscape (I know, not the most reliable) that said Magic Carpets of Aladdin is going to be torn down and used to form the bones of the second Dumbo in the new Fantasyland Expansion, and the carpets would be sent to Tokyo to create a new Flying Carpets ride at DisneySea

Is there any truth to this. I personally enjoy Magic Carpets of Aladdin more than Dumbo and would be sad to see it go.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Anything that would free up the traffic jam in Adventureland (and bring back a tiny bit of the lands original theming) would be welcome.

There are a few bottlenecks in the park being looked at to improve traffic flow. This is one area.

hazelrah

This would be awesome news for Magic Kingdom, but bad news for Tokyo. The carpets are an Adventureland eyesore, and I always associate them with the dark days of Disney theme parks, along with Dinorama.

By the way, why is the Tokyo attraction going to be called Jasmine's Magic Carpets? Jasmine never owned the carpet. It was always Aladdin. Is this yet more princess contamination?

MissingDisney

By the way, why is the Tokyo attraction going to be called Jasmine's Magic Carpets? Jasmine never owned the carpet. It was always Aladdin. Is this yet more princess contamination?[/QUOTE]

Info courtesy of Mousesavers.com, you'd need to ask the Japanese. Disney really has nothing to do with TDL or giving it any of the "carpets" as mentioned.

"Tokyo Disney Resort is extremely popular with the Japanese and has been very profitable for the Oriental Land Company, which owns and operates the resort. (That's right, the Walt Disney Company does not own or operate Tokyo Disney. It provides the Imagineers and gets a piece of the profits, but that's it.)"

SeaCastle

I hope this is true! I was reading on Widen Your World and Passport to Dreams about the original Adventureland...the Alladin spinner seems to have ruined the cohesiveness and beauty of the land, plus the area is so much more congested now.

Hopefully they put the water features back in once they remove it!

nemofinder22

This would be awesome news for Magic Kingdom, but bad news for Tokyo. The carpets are an Adventureland eyesore, and I always associate them with the dark days of Disney theme parks, along with Dinorama.

By the way, why is the Tokyo attraction going to be called Jasmine's Magic Carpets? Jasmine never owned the carpet. It was always Aladdin. Is this yet more princess contamination?

Thats a good point...

But it looks like the TDS version will be very different than its Orlando and Paris counter parts, and at $22 million I doubt OLC wants old "carpets".

http://artoftellingtales.blogspot.com/2010/03/jasmine-spins-into-arabian-coast.html

Figment1986

Thats a good point...

But it looks like the TDS version will be very different than its Orlando and Paris counter parts, and at $22 million I doubt OLC wants old "carpets".

http://artoftellingtales.blogspot.com/2010/03/jasmine-spins-into-arabian-coast.html

actually from the painting / art the carpets look really similar... the spinner is custom though. the description leads the rumor to be plausible... the WDW Aladdin and Dumbo spinners are similar, and with some mods could be identical... and all of the WDW carpet vehicles sold to TDL who modifies them to work on their new spinner with ease.

Granted it could also be wishful thinking.. I would be more happy if Aladdin leaves Adventureland, but if it stays oh well.

hoke2007

I hope not. I actually really like the Magic Carpets. It gives me a chance to ride that type of ride without having to wait in the hour+ long lines for Dumbo.

DABIGCHEEZ

Geez... what is with all the hate for the carpets?? Oh wait this is WDWMAGIC and anytime WDW makes a move to refurb, remove, modify, install or build anything... the fanboys' get all riled up and haters come out of the woodwork.

What was I thinking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom