Looks like WORK

MrBug

We might need that hawk! There getting to the hard part of the wand now! I wonder how long it will take them to get the giant hands off the structure.
I was thinking when they get to just straight up-and-down structure, instead of the stuff leaning over SSE, it should actually go faster? Seems like the physics should be a bit easier to deal with.

SirNim

I was thinking when they get to just straight up-and-down structure, instead of the stuff leaning over SSE, it should actually go faster? Seems like the physics should be a bit easier to deal with.
Quite right that they must go painfully slow when they have heavy steel framework suspended literally over Spaceship Earth. Wouldn't want any damage to the geosphere. Take time, and take precaution.

Now, nothing's hanging directly above, so I would expect work to progress at a faster rate.

You would think so, but the structure is so much larger now. look at some of the pictures, and you will see what I'm talking about! I hope it goes fast, I want it gone by my trip in Sept!

mk4me

The crane was taking too long, so I sent in my GIANT hawk to come in and rip down the rest of the wand with his mighty beak!!!:ROFLOL:

bird1.jpg

BEWARE THE HAWK!!!:lookaroun

Ok, that is hilarious! :ROFLOL:

jmvd20

You would think so, but the structure is so much larger now. look at some of the pictures, and you will see what I'm talking about! I hope it goes fast, I want it gone by my trip in Sept!

Larger - yes, heavier - yes, however it is easy to cut and easy to rig onto the crane. Also as they progress closer to ground level it will become easier as well.

The most difficult part of this job is anything that was overhanging SSE, once that is removed they should easily be able to take 20' off of the main structural steel per work day. Anything less than that shows that they are not working under a tight timeline to get the project done.

I can guarantee that if they wanted to get the remaining structure down (minus footings) within the next week and a half it is easily possible. The only question is did Disney want to pay the extra $$$ to make that happen... as of now I would say the answer is no.

Larger - yes, heavier - yes, however it is easy to cut and easy to rig onto the crane. Also as they progress closer to ground level it will become easier as well.

The most difficult part of this job is anything that was overhanging SSE, once that is removed they should easily be able to take 20' off of the main structural steel per work day. Anything less than that shows that they are not working under a tight timeline to get the project done.

I can guarantee that if they wanted to get the remaining structure down (minus footings) within the next week and a half it is easily possible. The only question is did Disney want to pay the extra $$$ to make that happen... as of now I would say the answer is no.

You work for a crane comapany, dont you?

jt04

"Nope, I run construction sites. From houses to apartments, bridges, and last but not least..... WANDS!

Though the market for wand construction has dried up recently...

Don't know why..."

I hear IOA might be in the market. Bid low!

mousermerf

Account Suspended

Well, from my amateur observations, it looks like every time they lob a section off, it's at a rpedetermined point from how the strucuture was built. Each time there's a platform, area, something, that denotes a space for a person right at where the piece was cut away.

For example, on the arched-part there were little side areas from the main steps/ladders every so often. Just beyond each one is where they cut things off. I dunno if it was intentionally built to be dismantled that way, because it doesn't seem those spots were integral its contruction process, but they're using them as points as they go along. I think they're moreso intended to be access points for work/repairs/maintenance on the wand and just happened to be convenient points to have someone with the torch stand and cut everything around them.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Oh, forgot to mention, as of yesterday the Star was still shoves over by the monorail track and a fresh bit of arch was up againt the refurb wall.

I read metal tossing/bashing sounds coming from the area - but it could of been SSE work not Wand work. SSE had peeps in it working.

jmvd20

Well I think I'm going to go on your prediction then!

I said about 4-6 weeks from the start which was of course nothing more than an educated guess. Armchair project management sure is fun though! They have to deal with a few things I didn't really take into consideration and the biggest problem I see for them is the size of the work area.

They basically have to remove a section, set it on the ground and due to space limitations cut it up on site. Basically it seems that they have to wait to remove another piece until the first one is cut. This is requiring a lot more time as compared to a larger site where they can remove a number of sections and have space to set them while they are waiting to be cut up.

The other issue is that I do not think they felt they were under a time crunch to begin with. After all the original deadline I heard was when SSE re-opens. I really can't blame Disney from a business standpoint for not paying the extra $$$ to have it down quicker. However, my personal feeling is that any kind of demolition at WDW is a bad show, or at least a necessary evil and should be minimized/expedited whenever possible. Due to that it is my belief that they should put projects on a fast track and have the contractors bid them that way, it really doesn't add huge amounts to the overall cost to get something like this done a few weeks early.

I would still think that the wand structure will be gone in the next 2 to 3 weeks which would put it at the upper end of my original guess.

jmvd20

Well, from my amateur observations, it looks like every time they lob a section off, it's at a rpedetermined point from how the strucuture was built. Each time there's a platform, area, something, that denotes a space for a person right at where the piece was cut away.

That makes perfect sense to me, if they can use the structure itself as a suitable working platform it would save extra expenses from lifts, scaffolding etc...

hmmm. I think that the facts point out that Epcot was a total failure after only a few years of being open. People wanted to know where the characters were even though the premise of Epcot was that there would be no characters per the plan. (see the opening day video)

You may not think that Epcot needs characters but the vast majority of families with kids do. And guess what, the families and their kids are right, always... they are the consumers and Disney has followed suit and improved Epcot's overall business by adding characters. And, with the improvement in business they are blowing the dust off of everything else including SSE.

The park is still very educational, just less museum so. It's called fun education. You learn something even though you didn't intend to.

very well put!

-isn't this thread supposed to only be about the wand coming down? Just wonderin'.....:shrug:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I've gotten amazingly used to it (construction) and wander around wondering when projects that have had permits filed are going to start - sometimes to the point of being a little annoyed that "nothing is going on today."

Hehe, so be a little upset that it's construction, but take comfort in knowing they're amusing me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom