Long live the Eastern Gateway or how I learned to love the Anaheim City Council after the election.

Ismael Flores

Build a whole elevated promenade/garden going from DL to convention center to stadium to various parking garages/lots. People can get on and off at various points to visit the merchants below.

cf. NYC Highline

Malaysia has a really cool elevated walkway that can take you from one side of the city center all the way to the Petronas towers. They cleverly ran it thru the area with connections directly to hotels and merchants and they added ramps or stairs to ground level to give access to any other business.

People can walk from one end to the other in just a few minutes compared to walking at street level thru traffic and easily taking 30+ minutes for the same distance.

Dubhai did something similar to connect their transit system to places like the Burj. It does save a lot of time when exploring the city and kept us from driving around those places

Darkbeer1

So last night, I was invited to an Impromptu meeting, besides myself and my wife Lisa. the following was in the room (total of 6).

And for a few of you, this will be shocking.

Esther Wallace, Chairman of W.A.N.D. (West Anaheim Neighborhood Development Council). I am a member of the Executive Committee).

John Armstrong, Planning Commissioner for District 1

Councilmember Denise Barnes, District 1

And Cynthia Ward, candidate for Mayor in 2018, and currently a Policy Aide to Councilmember Barnes.

Very limited as to what I can say.

First off, it was cordial, and everyone left smiling, even me.

Transportation and the 2028 Olympics was one subject.

We touched on the Angels Baseball situation, the city is requesting a meeting with the team in the next week, mainly a touching base one. The city is not moving forward until the appraisal of the land is complete.

Discussed this report, make sure and check out the charts/graphics.

>>Since 1955, Anaheim’s economy has been driven by The Walt Disney Company, which is also the largest private-sector employer in Orange County with nearly 32,000 employees. Its local operations include Disneyland and the California Adventure theme parks, three Disneyland hotels, and Downtown Disney (a shopping and entertainment area). The area’s lodging market is also supported by the Anaheim Convention Center, which currently provides the largest convention facilities on the West Coast. As Disney and the convention center have expanded, the City of Anaheim created the Anaheim Resort Area (ARA) in 1994 to effectively manage development of the area surrounding Disneyland. The ARA, encompassing 1,078 acres, is synergistically designed as a cohesive plan including the Disney Parks, Anaheim Convention Center, hotels, and retail centers. Within Anaheim and the adjacent City of Garden Grove, the hotel market offers nearly 190 hotels, offering over 23,000 rooms, or nearly 42% of the overall supply available in Orange County.<<

After the meeting, Cynthia Ward came over and we talked the Sun-Cal issue from about 20 years ago, and Dr. Moreno, and how things like the UNITE HERE street blockade hurt him, and the city.

If I knew who was going to be in attendance, I might have found a way out of it, but glad it happened.

NobodyElse

Discussed this report, make sure and check out the charts/graphics.

>>Since 1955, Anaheim’s economy has been driven by The Walt Disney Company, which is also the largest private-sector employer in Orange County with nearly 32,000 employees. Its local operations include Disneyland and the California Adventure theme parks, three Disneyland hotels, and Downtown Disney (a shopping and entertainment area). The area’s lodging market is also supported by the Anaheim Convention Center, which currently provides the largest convention facilities on the West Coast. As Disney and the convention center have expanded, the City of Anaheim created the Anaheim Resort Area (ARA) in 1994 to effectively manage development of the area surrounding Disneyland. The ARA, encompassing 1,078 acres, is synergistically designed as a cohesive plan including the Disney Parks, Anaheim Convention Center, hotels, and retail centers. Within Anaheim and the adjacent City of Garden Grove, the hotel market offers nearly 190 hotels, offering over 23,000 rooms, or nearly 42% of the overall supply available in Orange County.<<

Did the report go bye-bye, or am I doing something wrong?

Ismael Flores

At Taste of Anaheim at AGW. Interesting to note, they are using Pumbaa to park for the City event. Time to press the flesh and eat.
Darkbeer, how is the rehabilitation of AGW that was promises by the new owner? remember reading that he had made contracts with quite a few venders and would have several new places open this year with more of an eating and entertainment venue than shopping

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Bon Appetit.

But I find it encouraging that there is evidence of Disney and the City working interactively.

I agree. The decision to bring in Josh D'Amaro to help smooth the relationship with the city was a good choice. He has done some very positive things in that regard.

Tonight's event was "Visit Anaheim", the TOT funded tourism marketing arm, and the DLR was a major sponsor.

While we still have Dr. Moreno, and his love for Disnay (that is how he pronounces it), The majority of 5 understand how much of the city's budget is funded due to Disneyland and the Convention Center, (about half). And even Councilmembers Barnes and Moreno know it, though they prefer to minimize it.

Yes, Disney needs things from the city, and the city needs for the DLR to keep growing and attracting visitors to its parks, and hopefully beyond them.

I am happy the DLR has raised wages and expanded educational benefits, though I am still upset the UNITE HERE withheld the percentage of tipped CM's they have as members. I don't think those making at least $20 a hour in tips should have gotten as much as they did. I would rather seen higher wages for non or little tipped CM's. Oh well, UNITE HERE is more interested in its political power than its members, and that is the thoughts of many folks. Please note, I am not saying Unions, just one specific one.

UNITE HERE is now trying to cause problems with the Angel Stadium negotiations. They had a rally last night, though only about 150 people showed up, and that included OCCORD members.

But it looks like things are getting better and that the message that the entire city benefits due to the fact the Resort Area/Sports Venues brings in so much tax revenues, along with lower city fees and our Public Utilities rates, is made clear.

Darkbeer1

Darkbeer, how is the rehabilitation of AGW that was promises by the new owner? remember reading that he had made contract with quite a few venders and would have several new places open this year. more of an eating and entertainment venue than shopping

Yes, I was talking to one of the store owners about how things are going at AGW. Seems like the 20 some stores are taking their time, and waiting until it is closer to the J.W. Marriott opens (just under a year from now). The AMC should be open in the next couple of weeks, which will help bring in more folks to eat/drink.

A few shops have moved around. Kip Barry's Caberet (Magic) has moved and has two seperate sections.

So yes, AGW is a work in progress, but seems to be going in the right direction.

Ismael Flores

went to Gardenwalk this Saturday because was curious to see what it was like. It is worse then i remember.
saw a few asian tourist walking around lost trying to figure out what to do. the only things open where the eateries along KAtela and a handful of shops not to far from those eateries.

the second floor is completely dead and walled off with a couple coming soon.

the northern side of the mall was also completely dead with only two places open. everything else opens only in evening.

a kids zone and a brasilion eatery which was empty.
meanwhile all around the resort they had thousands of tourist with parking lots filling up and Anaheim police making things worse.

As for the aesthetics of the mall all i can saw is WOW. what a piece of uninspired architecture.

every store front whether used or not looked the same-flat stucco walls.

we counted one tree and several palms in the whole mall. every hangin plant was made of a .99 cent straw mini basket and a bundle of fake plants. the trellis were dead or no greenery on them.
the overhead trellis were covered in fake green canopy and christmas lights dangling and falling. something you would see in an aging trailer park.

and to make it worse they thought they can add greenery to the “Gardenwalk” mall by adding more fake camouflage to most of the pillars and lamp posts.

They really need to start fixing the look of this mall by tearing up some concrete and adding trees. This place looks like a giant concrete coffin and probably feels like it in the summer months.

and for your enjoyment imagine this all over the mall. i took one picture before heading out
embarrassed that those Asian tourist had to see something so sad in what is suppose to be a world class resort area

DF3CFFDB-9644-4F59-91BE-4FAA94399CEF.jpeg

that is the junk being pass off as Garden in the gardenwalk. plastic leave wraps all over the pillars and lamppost

Old Mouseketeer

went to Gardenwalk this Saturday because was curious to see what it was like. It is worse then i remember.
saw a few asian tourist walking around lost trying to figure out what to do. the only things open where the eateries along KAtela and a handful of shops not to far from those eateries.

the second floor is completely dead and walled off with a couple coming soon.

the northern side of the mall was also completely dead with only two places open. everything else opens only in evening.

a kids zone and a brasilion eatery which was empty.
meanwhile all around the resort they had thousands of tourist with parking lots filling up and Anaheim police making things worse.

As for the aesthetics of the mall all i can saw is WOW. what a piece of uninspired architecture.

every store front whether used or not looked the same-flat stucco walls.

we counted one tree and several palms in the whole mall. every hangin plant was made of a .99 cent straw mini basket and a bundle of fake plants. the trellis were dead or no greenery on them.
the overhead trellis were covered in fake green canopy and christmas lights dangling and falling. something you would see in an aging trailer park.

and to make it worse they thought they can add greenery to the “Gardenwalk” mall by adding more fake camouflage to most of the pillars and lamp posts.

They really need to start fixing the look of this mall by tearing up some concrete and adding trees. This place looks like a giant concrete coffin and probably feels like it in the summer months.

and for your enjoyment imagine this all over the mall. i took one picture before heading out
embarrassed that those Asian tourist had to see something so sad in what is suppose to be a world class resort area

View attachment 373990
that is the junk being pass off as Garden in the gardenwalk. plastic leave wraps all over the pillars and lamppost

Sure hope House of Blues and Marriott don't get buyer's remorse!

Old Mouseketeer

Many malls around the world are suffering due to the disruptive innovations in commerce that the last two decades have brought us, and yet this economic strife becomes the story investors/managers tell to hide the fact that some malls are just plain lousy places to begin with.

Oh, this one was an undercapitalized piece of slop to begin with. Not even sure if having the two hotel pads filled would have saved it. And not sure about it now. I'm sure the restaurant leases are what is carrying it.

Darkbeer1

Sure hope House of Blues and Marriott don't get buyer's remorse!

House of Blues is quite happy. Their rent is about half of the DTD rent, their attendance is up (Really a locals type of place, so easier parking and no restrictions on the types of acts helps a lot). Also has a larger venue with multiple large stages. Yes, the "restaurant" is not as busy as the one at DtD, but overall profits at the Anaheim locations are much higher than DtD.

The J.W. Marriott is hoping for some upscale places when they open next year, though they will have some retail in its lobby. They can function as a stand alone place, so it is really AGW that hopes J.W. Marriott guests leave the Hotel to visit and walk around.

lazyboy97o

Many malls around the world are suffering due to the disruptive innovations in commerce that the last two decades have brought us, and yet this economic strife becomes the story investors/managers tell to hide the fact that some malls are just plain lousy places to begin with.
This. Many malls built during the boom of the 1970s - 1980s were intentionally built to be rather hostile places, intended to overwhelm, disorient and inconvenience shoppers in an attempt to increase their time in the mall thus increasing sales. Many, including Disney’s theme park leadership, still hold these base beliefs to be true.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

House of Blues is quite happy. Their rent is about half of the DTD rent, their attendance is up (Really a locals type of place, so easier parking and no restrictions on the types of acts helps a lot). Also has a larger venue with multiple large stages. Yes, the "restaurant" is not as busy as the one at DtD, but overall profits at the Anaheim locations are much higher than DtD.

The J.W. Marriott is hoping for some upscale places when they open next year, though they will have some retail in its lobby. They can function as a stand alone place, so it is really AGW that hopes J.W. Marriott guests leave the Hotel to visit and walk around.
they should have added a patio area for the hotel on the roofing site of the mall like originally planned when mall was built. this could have also had a direct mall access entrance with keycard. it would have really entice guests to explore the mall

Darkbeer1

Sitting in a council meeting. So my thoughts might not be 100% thorough.

So right now, the Eastern Gateway available land is temporarily being converted to CM parking for the summer. The name will be the Manchester CM lot.

But it can be closed down at any time.

Disney wants the Pixar Pals structure fully open and then show the city that they don't have enough parking.

That will help sell the Eastern Gateway project, including the structure, bridge and new security check and transit Plaza.

So it looks like it will be presented this fall after other issues.

Tonight it is STRs, funding the Chamber of Commerce and starting a study on a transit system from ARTIC and the Convention Center. We have 120 speakers, and only at #20, everyone gets 3 minutes.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Sitting in a council meeting. So my thoughts might not be 100% thorough.

So right now, the Eastern Gateway available land is temporarily being converted to CM parking for the summer. The name will be the Manchester CM lot.

But it can be closed down at any time.

Disney wants the Pixar Pals structure fully open and then show the city that they don't have enough parking.

That will help sell the Eastern Gateway project, including the structure, bridge and new security check and transit Plaza.

So it looks like it will be presented this fall after other issues.

Tonight it is STRs, funding the Chamber of Commerce and starting a study on a transit system from ARTIC and the Convention Center. We have 120 speakers, and only at #20, everyone gets 3 minutes.
Off topic, Darkbeer do you know when Honda’s contract with the Arena sponsorship is over and have their been talks to renew Honda’s contract or find a new sponsor?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom