Long live the Eastern Gateway or how I learned to love the Anaheim City Council after the election.

DanielBB8

AGW is not the only dying mall in Southern California. I live near another dying mall where Back to the Future was famously filmed in the parking lot. The way to turn them into a success is Entertainment malls where the focus is food, trendy fashions, and more food trends. They need to reconsider what’s an anchor tenant. They certainly aren’t Macy’s and Sears. Malls were known for bad and overpriced mall food where you ate between shopping in different stores. This must certainly change. People should go to malls for the food as they do at the Santa Anita Mall in Arcadia. Prices must include quality and good service. In the future, every lease should be 5 years. They most certainly won’t last 10 years.

Darkbeer1

Off topic, Darkbeer do you know when Honda’s contract with the Arena sponsorship is over and have their been talks to renew Honda’s contract or find a new sponsor?
The contract is through 2021. I have no idea about talks. The city has no say in it. The "Anaheim Arena Management" aka the Ducks owners control the naming rights of both the Honda Center and ARTIC train station. The city does get a share, based on the contract with AAM.

With the Honda Center being an Olympic Venue (will be called the Anaheim Arena during the Olympics per IOC rules), the value of the naming rights should bring in more revenue in the new contract, whether a renewal with Honda or a new company

Jiggsawpuzzle35

The contract is through 2021. I have no idea about talks. The city has no say in it. The "Anaheim Arena Management" aka the Ducks owners control the naming rights of both the Honda Center and ARTIC train station. The city does get a share, based on the contract with AAM.

With the Honda Center being an Olympic Venue (will be called the Anaheim Arena during the Olympics per IOC rules), the value of the naming rights should bring in more revenue in the new contract, whether a renewal with Honda or a new company
Thanks for the information. Anything is better than going back to Arrowhead Water. Man that water is disgusting.

socalifornian

AGW is not the only dying mall in Southern California. I live near another dying mall where Back to the Future was famously filmed in the parking lot. The way to turn them into a success is Entertainment malls where the focus is food, trendy fashions, and more food trends. They need to reconsider what’s an anchor tenant. They certainly aren’t Macy’s and Sears. Malls were known for bad and overpriced mall food where you ate between shopping in different stores. This must certainly change. People should go to malls for the food as they do at the Santa Anita Mall in Arcadia. Prices must include quality and good service. In the future, every lease should be 5 years. They most certainly won’t last 10 years.
Santa Clarita finally lost its Sears a while back, I was hoping for a Round 1 like what you guys have or something similar. They ended up choosing a Costco and an upscale theater, which was fine I guess. Magic Mountain’s down the street and a second Costco has been wanted for years.

I do wish Downtown Disney had more entertainment. Not sure if a giant Cirque du Soleil setup like Florida would be popular long enough here with the frequent local crowd tho. It already lost House of Blues and AMC to AGW for various reasons

Darkbeer1

Cirque du Soleil has a contract with the County fairgrounds in Costa Mesa.

And DtD has no room nor parking for something that would bring in locals.

House of Blues and AMC moved for many reasons, but parking and access for locals was key issues.

Locals don't want to go through security to shop and eat. That is why DtD changed its mix to focus on Hotel and Theme Park guests.

Darkbeer1

Still at the council meeting, now discussing Short Term Rentals at 12:45 AM and still 2 more items to go. 80 people still in the audience, more than normal, especially this late.

A bit earlier, the Westgate Timeshare project at AGW was discussed. They wanted a 30 month extension.

The mayor said there has already been so many delays from the original 2007 date. The council agreed to only a 6 month extension.

Should be interesting to see if Westgate can get the funding and file a building permit by the end of 2019, or if some other company comes in to take over the project.

Chamber funding and the Transit project between ARTIC and the Convention Center to go. Of course, those are both important items to myself and folks who support me.

Darkbeer1

Chamber funding passed 5 to 1.

The Transit item staff report showed some short videos including a trackless streetcar system. Item passed 6 to nothing, and a taskforce will be formed by city staff as the first step to this potential improvement to the Resort Area and the Platinum Triangle.

One more thing, the city manager reported that the Angel Stadium appraisal should be finished next month. Plus that the Angels management has hired additional architects and planning company's to get plans drawn up for their new vision of Angel Stadium of Anaheim and the surrounding area. The team stated their focus is on Anaheim and not Long Beach.

It's 2 AM and time for me to get out of the chambers after starting at 3 PM for a budget meeting.

The Grand Inquisitor

Since the 4th hotel was canceled is rain forest cafe and the other shops that closed are opening back again ? Also would disney consider building the star wars hotel Florida is getting ?

TROR

Rain Forest Cafe is owned by Landry's who also own Claim Jumper and Bubba Gump, both of which have great food and good atmosphere. Since Bubba Gump is already at City Walk, they should bring Claim Jumper to Downtown Disney. Give me that California gold miner theme!

Darkbeer1

Since the 4th hotel was canceled is rain forest cafe and the other shops that closed are opening back again ? Also would disney consider building the star wars hotel Florida is getting ?

Due mainly due to political reasons, Disney will not be building any sort of Hotel at the DLR for the foreseeable future.

So no to a Star Wars Hotel.

As for Rainforest Cafe, very unlikely. Looks like all the current building will remain standing, but nobody wants to pay the rents Disney is asking for.

The Grand Inquisitor

Due mainly due to political reasons, Disney will not be building any sort of Hotel at the DLR for the foreseeable future.

So no to a Star Wars Hotel.

As for Rainforest Cafe, very unlikely. Looks like all the current building will remain standing, but nobody wants to pay the rents Disney is asking for.
Thanks for the reply Darkbeer! :D

Darkbeer1

Rain Forest Cafe is owned by Landry's who also own Claim Jumper and Bubba Gump, both of which have great food and good atmosphere. Since Bubba Gump is already at City Walk, they should bring Claim Jumper to Downtown Disney. Give me that California gold miner theme!

I think you meant GardenWalk for Bubba Gumps.

There is a Claim Jumper next to Knott's, so unlikely to have another one so close. Plus the Patina Group would claim it is to close to what their 3 restaurant's serve. Also Disney operates Steakhouse 55 at the DLH.

Darkbeer1

>>Angels President John Carpino told city officials that “Anaheim is their focus” right now, and the team has hired an architect, engineer and financial adviser to its consulting team, which is led by development firm Brooks Street, Zapata told the council, following a May 20 meeting with Carpino and other team officials.

“That’s all extremely positive,” Zapata told the council.

City officials have said they expect a new lease with their stadium’s longtime tenants would be patterned after a 2018 deal made with the Anaheim Ducks to develop land around Honda Center. Developing some of the 155-acre Angel Stadium property could generate millions to renovate or rebuild the 53-year-old venue.

Angels spokeswoman Marie Garvey confirmed in a phone interview that the development team has been expanded, but declined to name specific hires.<<

TROR

I think you meant GardenWalk for Bubba Gumps.
I was thinking more that Disney just wouldn't want to have the same offerings as their other main theme park competition in SoCal (even though the shopping districts are more for locals). Completely forgot GardenWalk had a Bubba's.

There is a Claim Jumper next to Knott's, so unlikely to have another one so close. Plus the Patina Group would claim it is to close to what their 3 restaurant's serve. Also Disney operates Steakhouse 55 at the DLH.
I really just want more reasonably priced, quality sit down restaurants at Downtown Disney. The ones they have now are all junk from what I've had.

britain

I was thinking more that Disney just wouldn't want to have the same offerings as their other main theme park competition in SoCal (even though the shopping districts are more for locals). Completely forgot GardenWalk had a Bubba's.

I really just want more reasonably priced, quality sit down restaurants at Downtown Disney. The ones they have now are all junk from what I've had.

Have you tried any of the new ones that opened this Spring?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Chamber funding passed 5 to 1.

The Transit item staff report showed some short videos including a trackless streetcar system. Item passed 6 to nothing, and a taskforce will be formed by city staff as the first step to this potential improvement to the Resort Area and the Platinum Triangle.

One more thing, the city manager reported that the Angel Stadium appraisal should be finished next month. Plus that the Angels management has hired additional architects and planning company's to get plans drawn up for their new vision of Angel Stadium of Anaheim and the surrounding area. The team stated their focus is on Anaheim and not Long Beach.

It's 2 AM and time for me to get out of the chambers after starting at 3 PM for a budget meeting.
A trackless streetcar would be an interesting idea. As long as they can ensure quick service I would think this could be a front runner for a modern system in Anaheim. Also costs would be kept lower because all that is needed is the streetcar and some painted lines on existing streets with dedicated stops.

Darkbeer1

Not going to happen, Disney has many stipulations in their leases that require minimum pricing to make sure they don't undercut what Disney charges in the Resort. Plus the very large rents charged.

This is why GardenWalk's restaurants are doing so well.

Darkbeer1

A trackless streetcar would be an interesting idea. As long as they can ensure quick service I would think this could be a front runner for a modern system in Anaheim.

One of the things mentioned about these battery operated (Charging is done from underground wireless charging, similar to how Finding Nemo Subs are charged, or the Grove (LA) trolley system (Tracked but no overhead wires) trolleys, the doors are right at ground level, so multiple doors that can load wheelchairs, strollers, wheeled luggage, etc. without needing ramps, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom